Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jason,
I need help choosing a tire for a customers car. Car is a 65 Plymouth Belvedere 493 pump gas Hemi,727, foot brake, currently has a 4.10 gear.New Caltrac split mono's and Caltrac bars with Rancho adjustables in rear and QA1 adjustables in front. Car is all steel,I am guessing around 3600 lbs. Engine made just over 700 hp at 6500 rp,torque curve is broad and flat,3,000 rpm it has 560 ft lbs with a peak of 633 ft lbs at 4800 rpm and still has over 600 ft lbs at 6,000 rpm. Car has an 8 inch wheel on it and we would like to keep it at that. What would you suggest,how much clearance do you recommend on all sides and how much do you think the recommended tire will grow ?
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Well,

With an 8" rim, and all that power your options will be limited. Are you looking for a DOT approved tire or a slick?

I would have at least 1" on the sides, and the bias tires will grow approx. 1.5" in diameter at 150 mph. Keep in mind to consider the ride height of the car at speed.

Even though the wheel width is not optimum, a 28.0/10.5-15S (spec # 3055S) with a tube would be the best bet if it will fit.

Thanks,

Jason Mouton

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. It would be a slick that I am looking for.What would be the min. that I could get away with for clearance from the side wall to the leaf spring ? What do you think the section width would be on the 3055s on an 8" wheel ? My other thought was a 30x9 radial slick,what are your feelings on that tire versus the 3055s ? THank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts