Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Look to see if there are any impact fees for building. Some of the county's in Florida will charge this fee when you go to pull a septic or building permit. Most are about $15k. We are currently looking for 30 acres or more and that fee plays a factor because we are going to build 3 houses on the property.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
While you did mention your land as been perked I don’t know if everybody knows what you meant by that, if your planning to build on the property or plan on selling any or all of it in the future having a water percolation test done in several different areas of the land is one of the most important things to have done. I’ve seen a couple people lose their ass on property they bought with cash when a test was done and failed, almost all banks will require this test before they will loan money on a property where a house is planning to be built on.

This test is mainly used to determine if a septic tank and it’s leach field will allow the waste water to percolate through the soil properly, a test can also be failed if the wastewater will percolate too fast allowing it to reach the groundwater. There are alternatives you can do if you’ve already bought the land or the property is so unique you will tolerate the much much higher cost to install a alternative way to put in a septic system.
A lot of the comments in this thread are very regional. For instance, around here, there is no such thing as mineral rights. (Or at least it’s never been part of any deal I’ve seen). We have nothing but clay.
Your advice about the perk test would be very important here. We haven’t done an actual “perk test” though in many years. We do core tests and evaluate the soil types. But it’s the same idea, making sure soil is suitable for a septic system. I could go on and on about how my local board of health doesn’t know how a mound system works... but that’s another topic.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Around here, you have to make sure it's not "wet lands". Can't build on it. Can't do shit with it. Can't even log it.
Most of the time, the sellers of these plots of land won't tell you that and people have been out a ton of money on basically useless, worthless land. Unless you plan on using it for hunting.

·
A Fine Example For Others
40,449 Posts
Don't buy land that was used as a pet cemetery. Watched a movie about it. It was a bad for everyone.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I always tell people, before you make an offer, to go around and introduce yourself to the neighbors. Tell them you're interested in the property, and ask them if they know anything that might be of interest to you. Neighbors love to gossip and will tell you if there have been any sink holes in the area, or group homes down the street, crime issues, preditors, etc. They will know of any plans for sewer system installation or replacement, possible assessments and so on.

Reactions: Old Wolf

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Check to see if you can grow pot. Dont buy within a 100 miles of that area if you can. Large property's are becoming magnets for illegal pot grows. Hope you don't have one move in after you are already there.

be safe, schick

41 - 47 of 47 Posts