Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
A Senior Member
3,157 Posts
Take a compass with you when you look at it. If you are in a northern climate (think winter) you don't want to be in the shade of a mountain during the winter months. You can design your structure to take advantage of the sun's solar energy for some heat gain. Large windows facing south, no windows on the north side. Well that's if you have windows.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,083 Posts
make sure no one has right aways thru the ground or goofy covenants

we bought some ground in may, it was advertised as "bring builder country living at its finest" that was it on the listing. we knew it was sub divided about 15 yrs ago by a large development company they took about 100 acres of farm ground and sub divided into 8-10 acre lots as a high end development. well as it went into contract we started to get the paper work from the title company about there being some basic covenants, like no business's certain size house. there is no HOA... but mostly loose rules to keep the thrash out...some language int eh papers that say if a reply is not given within 30 days assume you are granted permission....... but when they sub divided the grounds they put in easements / right of ways and the 2 lots south of mine i actually have road rights thru there property if i so choose. well only 1 guy owns those 2 lots, he said go for it but your paying the full expense .... well the side of my property does join the road and there is a steep access road but to much for a trailer or motorhome, so we are going to have our own drive put in on that hill, its about 40-60ft elevation change, can use a natural bench for some of the drive...id much rather have my own driveway anyways....need to get an earth moving permit, but excavator guy said probably around 15k to put in a driveway...driveway will be about 700 ft long

but anyways, we also found out the ground was perked so that was a plus.... the realtor was a good guy but i dont think he cared much about the details of the ground.... we scored a chunk of land with a assed value of 59k for 49k. it was on and off the market for 90k....8.92 acres...and the other lots have sold for 90k+.. we believe if it was advertised better it would have sold sooner, sat on the market for 85 days with this guy few others interested but i had cash so it was quick and easy..... i always got lucky as this was mid april it went into contract i got lucky to get it before the local markets blew up.

o yea.....the kicker.... the local township let them sub divide the ground but shot down the high end development plans.

sorry for the side track just wanted to share my recent experience.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Check with locals about seasonal flooding if it's near a river/creek. I know of a place that's listed for 1M (300+ acres) with a beautiful creek and an old fish conservation dam that floods every spring and fall. No mention of it on the relator's website where they have it listed as a perfect place to build cabins and sell hunting/fishing leases...

While it's an absolutely beautiful piece of property with surrounding mountain scenery, it's absolutely useless for dwellings. Current owner uses for pasture land in summer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Rent in the Area for a year (prefably the place you want to buy)before you sink your money into a purchase. Ask all the neighbors and adjoining land owners about the property. Be certain you own the mineral and water rights. Check for liens and judgments. buy title insurance. Be certain there are no restrictions and zoning that would interfere with your enjoyment of the property. The very worst thing is if you have bad no good neighbors. In a junk vehicle hoarder some folks wouldn't want me for a neighbor. I now have newly constructed chicken grower houses for neighbors. The stink is horrible. We are working on moving to our farm. The front portion of it overflows when the river floods. the land that don't flood in that area is steep and rocky much of it glade rock. Too costly to build chicken houses there. electric and internet availability is something to consider. If there is a well make then guarantee its good. is the septic system up to code. Many places for a few hundred dollars you can take a course to get a real estate license. That's a very cheap education. Ive bought and sold lots of land. And even though I never wanted a real estate license I took that course and I learned a lot of useful stuff.

·
Registered
370 Posts
make sure no one has right aways thru the ground or goofy covenants

we bought some ground in may, it was advertised as "bring builder country living at its finest" that was it on the listing. we knew it was sub divided about 15 yrs ago by a large development company they took about 100 acres of farm ground and sub divided into 8-10 acre lots as a high end development. well as it went into contract we started to get the paper work from the title company about there being some basic covenants, like no business's certain size house. there is no HOA... but mostly loose rules to keep the thrash out...some language int eh papers that say if a reply is not given within 30 days assume you are granted permission....... but when they sub divided the grounds they put in easements / right of ways and the 2 lots south of mine i actually have road rights thru there property if i so choose. well only 1 guy owns those 2 lots, he said go for it but your paying the full expense .... well the side of my property does join the road and there is a steep access road but to much for a trailer or motorhome, so we are going to have our own drive put in on that hill, its about 40-60ft elevation change, can use a natural bench for some of the drive...id much rather have my own driveway anyways....need to get an earth moving permit, but excavator guy said probably around 15k to put in a driveway...driveway will be about 700 ft long

but anyways, we also found out the ground was perked so that was a plus.... the realtor was a good guy but i dont think he cared much about the details of the ground.... we scored a chunk of land with a assed value of 59k for 49k. it was on and off the market for 90k....8.92 acres...and the other lots have sold for 90k+.. we believe if it was advertised better it would have sold sooner, sat on the market for 85 days with this guy few others interested but i had cash so it was quick and easy..... i always got lucky as this was mid april it went into contract i got lucky to get it before the local markets blew up.

o yea.....the kicker.... the local township let them sub divide the ground but shot down the high end development plans.

sorry for the side track just wanted to share my recent experience.
While you did mention your land as been perked I don’t know if everybody knows what you meant by that, if your planning to build on the property or plan on selling any or all of it in the future having a water percolation test done in several different areas of the land is one of the most important things to have done. I’ve seen a couple people lose their ass on property they bought with cash when a test was done and failed, almost all banks will require this test before they will loan money on a property where a house is planning to be built on.

This test is mainly used to determine if a septic tank and it’s leach field will allow the waste water to percolate through the soil properly, a test can also be failed if the wastewater will percolate too fast allowing it to reach the groundwater. There are alternatives you can do if you’ve already bought the land or the property is so unique you will tolerate the much much higher cost to install a alternative way to put in a septic system.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,083 Posts
While you did mention your land as been perked I don’t know if everybody knows what you meant by that, if your planning to build on the property or plan on selling any or all of it in the future having a water percolation test done in several different areas of the land is one of the most important things to have done. I’ve seen a couple people lose their ass on property they bought with cash when a test was done and failed, almost all banks will require this test before they will loan money on a property where a house is planning to be built on.

This test is mainly used to determine if a septic tank and it’s leach field will allow the waste water to percolate through the soil properly, a test can also be failed if the wastewater will percolate too fast allowing it to reach the groundwater. There are alternatives you can do if you’ve already bought the land or the property is so unique you will tolerate the much much higher cost to install a alternative way to put in a septic system.
we kinda just figured we would need to do it, did not realize it was done in 2006, and since alot of homes in the same area with same soil type we just did the deal....... some places will make you re perk after so many years but this is a small community with 1 surveyor / engineer that knows like everyone, hes like your good, no need to re do, then he got pretty excited when he seen the absorption rates of the 1 of 2 proposed sites and started going on about the size system we needed and said that will be a cheap one for you guys.

this is the 2nd plot of land i bought, had 73 acres in northwest wyoming, no codes, nothing, just pull a general building permit and go..... this plot i just got, i need an earth moving permit becuase im going to disturb over an acre of ground.... something like 5k+ just for that damn thing.... o well

·
Former RJ instigator
41,171 Posts
One major item not yet listed .

HOW CLOSE WOULD YOU HAVE TO PUT YOUR HOME TO THE NEAREST ASSHOLE
(NEIGHBOR) ???
Yes sir, shitty neighbors can fuck up even the nicest piece of property, my sister is dealing with this right now, thankfully the asshole is selling and maybe the new owner(s) won't be such a dickhead, but you never know.

·
Titanium Member
11,014 Posts
Did you ever hear about someone buying land and losing?
I did.
Bought on Northern outer banks,years before that negro hurricane.
Sent my shit from cost10,500,to 160,000(8 years later)to 39,000 today.
Be lucky!

·
Idiot Savant
166,479 Posts
Did you ever hear about someone buying land and losing?
I did.
Bought on Northern outer banks,years before that negro hurricane.
Sent my shit from cost10,500,to 160,000(8 years later)to 39,000 today.
Be lucky!
Whitewater. Hillary is a master of the triple sale......

·
Registered
17,266 Posts
That turned into a cattle present... :D

Back when she was doing little shit.
made 100k . In 1979 that was big $. Usually cattle futures are done by the "pros" and they still lose their asses . She was a novice in the markets and banged it for 100K profit .

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
If you cant get mineral rights then dont buy, in my opinion. Cause if you buy above ground but i own whats below ground then guess what.....you would have to give me access to whatever i need access to. And if your newly built shop is where i want to put a drilling rig then i have rights to do so. Or atleast here in Kansas anyways. Main things to consider when buying are.....Mineral Rights, Easements, Surveys and Neighbors. Those are the 4 main things that can make a land purchase go sour

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Dirt. Lots and lots of dirt. May be covered with houses, concrete, asphalt, etc. but you really need dirt. Rocks are just very hard clumps of dirt, so they work, too.
Don't buy land without dirt, even if it's covered and you can't see it.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts