Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts or recommendations about timing with mechanical advance distributor running one stage fogger off wot switch.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Lock out the mech advance in the distributor, and use a timing retard module to retard timing when starting the engine. If you get a multi stange retard module you can also use it to retard the timing when the nitrous is acivated....Remeber to reset your ign timing after locking out the distibutor and/or installing a retard module.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the car has a msd 7al3, but it is mainly a street car, and I dont feel like changing starters all the time cuz of kick back. Can I just wire it so that when the solenoids get powered the timing through the box gets retarded. I guess my concern was with the mechanical advance leaving off a footbrake, the nitrous could be activated while the timming is still in transition.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Yup that is the norm, when ground is taken away from the retard lead to the box the stage of retard is activated.(for the timing retard stages for Nitrous etc.) The 7al3 has a built in 25* start retard. This automatically take out 25* under 500rpm

Most start retard that have it own lead, activate when 12V is applied to the lead. Be sure to check the manual on the sytem your using for proper hook up

I ran my car off the foot brake with a WOT switch with a mech advance dist, but launched the car at 3200rpm so the advance ws full in by then. The better way to go is with the distibutor locked out for sure with nitrous.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks, what kind of system did you have and did you have any issues with traction or were you deaying the hit.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I just had a Big shot plate sytem set to the absolute lowest setting. with a 6al box and turn the distributor back to retard the timing. no traction issues because the car only went 10.80's on the bottle on ET streets (not radials). First time mesing with nitrous on my own car.

we are rebuilding the entire car right now was a street car that ran 12.20's on motor, It should go well into the 8's with the new motor with a fogger and EFI

http://hotwireperformance.com/_wsn/page5.html

The only time we have delayed a hit on a car is with Radial tires ( 3 10th's), I am going to run both radial and Slicks on the car when it's done. It will have a nitrous Delay set-up in it but want it to hit ASAP.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I will find out the car runs 10.60's on motor before trans work and new converter. hi gear was slipping pretty bad so I had it rebuilt. The fogger system is being built right now at Applied by Jeff Prock, he said I would get a few tune ups with the kit. I am running M/T sportsman pro's 31x16.50. They seem to hook pretty good on motor. 4link car. The motor is not a nitrous motor so I probably wont be hitting very hard. Cant wait for spring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I run a big Shot Plate and have used 100 to 300HP hits with this setup. 6AL Box, HEI distributor with mechanical advance. Moroso advance curve kit with one light and one med spring. 12 initial 38 total and it's in around 3000. My NOS works off a full throttle micro switch and a MSD Retard box is set to engage as the solenoids hit. I run various timing retard depending on the hit by just plugging in the chips needed. I flatfoot the car at 2500.

I street drive the car too and that's why I want the mechanical advance. I have this on my current motor 540 BBC 700hp and the one before 502 BBC 550-575hp and have used this setup for years wihout any issues.

I did try a locked distributor on the street with my old motor and it detonated like crazy at part throttle with all the timing and it was hard to crank with the starter. So I trashed it and went back to the mechanical advance and all was fine.

We tried a locked MSD hi quaility distributor and my bread and butter HEI with the mechanical curve on the dyno and the results were the same.........so I stuck with the tried and true HEI setup.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
85Camaro said:
Lock out the mech advance in the distributor, and use a timing retard module to retard timing when starting the engine. If you get a multi stange retard module you can also use it to retard the timing when the nitrous is acivated....Remeber to reset your ign timing after locking out the distibutor and/or installing a retard module.
I'd lock out the timing also. 85 and I both know a guy that had the mech. adv. come apart at rpm he hit the nitrous not knowing the adv. was messed up and broke 3 pistons and burned some valves

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I run the locked out MSD distributer an MSD 7AL2 and a hamburg starter I drive my car on the street all the time and NEVER had a problem and I run 38 to 40* of timing and when I spray it I just pull out a few * of timing .Although my car doesn't run 10.60 on motor it does run 11.0 @ 124mph on motor so I agree with 81 olds .I think if you run a good starter you'll have no problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts