Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on hitting the track for the first time this saturday.

Looking for some advise on where to start out on timing.

383 (stroke not bore)
OEM ported heads (PRC)
Carb & Distributor conversion
~14.5:1

Car runs on 20deg in the garage but Im assuming this thing will like something closer to 26-28deg.

Any ideas are good...

·
Registered
196 Posts
We had a 388 with bore not stroke. (4.130 bore, stock stroke), AFR 225's, carb and distributor, only 11:1 compression. It ran best locked out at 27deg.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
What fuel? On VP113 my carbed 423 likes 33 for max power. 12:1 made 686 fwhp.
Really? It liked that much huh? I run most of my conventional headed stuff on 34-38*.. But with these small cc, pretty efficient combustion chambers we've been running 26-28ish..

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel is VP NO2

Plan to start at 26 and work up from there. Once thats sorted, then the hose gets turned on

·
Registered
715 Posts
But what do you run it at on HP? And how are you running such a hot spark plug on spray?
Is this question intended for me?

If so I ran 28 degrees on motor, it was just a pump gas, hyd roller cammed street deal.

A #8 NGK is hot? I ran #6 NGK on motor, a #8 is two steps colder.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Is this question intended for me?

If so I ran 28 degrees on motor, it was just a pump gas, hyd roller cammed street deal.

A #8 NGK is hot? I ran #6 NGK on motor, a #8 is two steps colder.
A #8 is what we generally run on HP, 10's or 11's on spray...

·
LSXTTFMF
927 Posts
We did the same on my buddies c6 as Brian did on his this past weekend. Ran NGK 8's which are technically 3 levels colder than a projected tip tr6. We were able to get plenty aggressive with the tuneup and keep fuel lean and clean. This was a cam only ls3 on a 73 jet using a -3an from noid to single nozzle so we aren't sure if we got the entire shot or not but either way it was a mix of pump and 110 race gas from the track. Ran [email protected] with a man pedal!

As far as OP ?? I would start off at 26* peak torque with a slight ramp up a few degrees to redline and adjust up/down from there. Locked timing at wot is so old school... There is power to be had with a nice timing curve!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input guys!

Made 4 hits last night at Cecil just to check things out (if anyone knows cecil on a friday - its not prepped).
All runs on motor - no bottle

First run, just left off idle and leaned into it at 26*
No timing or carb changes
2nd run footbrake and let off at the 1000' 10.36 @123
3rd run footbrake and stayed in, [email protected] with a 1.47 60' spun pretty bad

bumped timing to 28* and aborted the 4th run.

Im pretty happy considering this is just a 383 hydraulic cam engine, PRC stock casting heads, 1st time out, and everything is set up to spray

1 - 16 of 16 Posts