Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the works is a 421 sbc dart shp pro block with the BBC cam tunnel.
Looking for a adjustable timing set for this setup. So far all I have found is the cloyes hex adjust and not so sure I want to use it. I've read some guys have used it with no problems but others warn about the bushing breaking or not holding the cam gear properly. Spring open pressure is approximately 600-650 solid roller on the street. I'd like to use the cloyes quick adjust but I didn't see one listed for sbc w/bbc cam. Are there any other options for timing sets that you know of for this application? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Think Comp makes a belt-drive for that?..... Check the website or call tech

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
We turn down the front .150" of the first journal, to fit a standard SBC timing set. We do that on all our oversized bearing SBC cams(1.875". 1.949", 50mm, 55mm)

Did you check to see if your cam was turned down on the front ?

·
Registered
873 Posts
We turn down the front .150" of the first journal, to fit a standard SBC timing set. We do that on all our oversized bearing SBC cams(1.875". 1.949", 50mm, 55mm)

Did you check to see if your cam was turned down on the front ?
This would be the way to go. Then put a belt drive on!

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Most people that break a hex adjust setup try to change cam timing without backing off all the rockers as the directions tell you to do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, this block does not have a raised cam, just larger cam bores as well as .904" lifter bores and billet steel main caps w/arp studs.

Good to know about the front journal being turned down. This will make it easier. I know I'm gonna take some heat for this but I don't have a cam yet. Have a recommendation/quote from Cam King so that will be in the works.

Never considered the belt drive route. I've splurged enough already on Callies Ultra XD rods, Dragonslayer crank, and Morel Ultra Pro lifters. I think a good chain and gears will suffice.

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. More to come on this build as it progresses.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
as said,
make certain that the nose of cam has the correct diameter as well as the proper BOLT CIRCLE diameter...

you MUST check fore / aft alignment with the CRANK SPROCKET...!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts