Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to rewire car, Never ran progressive before always timers. Question is, Is it better to wire timing retard to activation side or solonid side ( do I want to pulse the retard with solonids )?
Thanks.

·
$carface
1,547 Posts
I have all of my nitrous, progressive, timing activated by one switch... it either all works or none of it works. S30 continuous duty 100 amp relay works really good for it. When i turn this on, it sends power to the solenoids, progressive and Step 1 retard on the 7531. I don't activate the timing retard with RPM until its above the 2 step.... so it comes up on the brake clean... hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Our unit has a 0-5 volt output that mimics the nitrous graph OR you can customize it. This output can be run to a ignition unit that has a MAP sensor input(0-5 volt)

You can now have progressive retard with nitrous increasing. However you want to plot it in your msd in the graph view. The msd doesnt know its a map sensor all it knows is its 0-5 volt coming in.

·
Thread Killer
1,945 Posts
Our unit has a 0-5 volt output that mimics the nitrous graph OR you can customize it. This output can be run to a ignition unit that has a MAP sensor input(0-5 volt)

You can now have progressive retard with nitrous increasing. However you want to plot it in your msd in the graph view. The msd doesnt know its a map sensor all it knows is its 0-5 volt coming in.
This is not really an answer to the OP's question.

You can also use the step on delay in the MSD, but I always thought this to be a little risky, especially when on the edge. When progressing at 60%, the solenoids are 100% open 60% of the time, so in my mind there could be a cylinder that sees close to the full hit at a given time. If they are getting close to the full hit with 60% of the timing taken out. Seems like a recipe for eating a cylinder under the right conditions.

Having all the timing out on activation is safer.

·
TRZ Rocks!
3,737 Posts
I'm about to rewire car, Never ran progressive before always timers. Question is, Is it better to wire timing retard to activation side or solonid side ( do I want to pulse the retard with solonids )?
Thanks.
You do not want to have the retard turning off and on with the solenoids as they progress. It should come on and stay on anytime the activation wire is on.

As others said above, there are lots of options on exactly how to do that depending on which ignition box and progressive you are using.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, for all the info so far, I've seen some guys doing it both ways just didn't know which would be better, We going to have to get pretty aggressive with a plate system to run with the class we want.
By the way it's a MSD 7531 and a NOS 15831 progressive controler.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Makes sense......Thanks

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Having the timing mimic the progessive of the nitrous has it's place. With realy large single kits, pulling large amounts of timing and little timing can make them to lazy on the hit..

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
just something to consider when using a progressive and dumping all the timing at the hit.
if you are using a launch retard to fine tune things, a little goes a long way since you are already taking out more timing than necessary for the tune up you are using at the hit.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can use the pulsed side of the relay to send the +12 to step "1" of grid. Just be sure to up the time on your "off delay" for timing. The off delay keeps the timing pulled as the +12v switches off/on

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Leash Pro8 is what we went to from Digisets. Works flawlessly.

Thankfully, my mechanic / electrician friends wired it up for me...LOL.

I mounted the Controller on the shifter, so I can quickly & easily change the Timers if needed in the staging lanes, while in the car strapped in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts