Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running an HEI distributor WITHOUT any other ignition boxes. I want to be able to retard my timing for nitrous without having to manually turn the distributor everytime. MSD used to make a box for this (8782 & 8682) but they no longer make them. I was wondering if any other companies make a similar type of retard box that can work without an ignition box hooked up to it? Thanks

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have an msd multi retard box.

I think we all have a MSD Multi Redard box sitting on the shelf..... I have one too on my shelf along with all those plug-ins

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know if the PM that was sent earlier in this post contained the answer the poster was seeking. I too am running the same set up and am looking for such a device. Don't want to spend a bunch of money and add an ignition box, and I already have a toggle switch installed which trips the ignition after the starter is already spinning. A initial timing retard during start up would be perfect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sorry, to clarify, Im running a stock HEI distributor which is locked out at 36 degrees advance. The 2 stage starting process works good under cool conditions but when the motor is hot, as soon as I flip the ignition switch, the cranking hits a wall and it's too much. I've burned out 1 starter and just replaced it with a factory replacement. Another idea would be to go to a gear reduction mini starter, although I'm unsure this will completely eliminate the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts