Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets just say in theory;), you have 15 degrees of total timing and pull 14 degrees. 1 degree of total timing, what would happen?

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
You never know. Generally though I would think it would missfire from being far retarded. That depends on the chamber piston etc. I can't say I have ever seen an " Naturally Aspirated" engine like 15* total but there is a first for everything.

·
1,344 Posts
I know of a couple of SBF's with 3 stages are only running around the 3-5* total timing mark with all a flowin'.

·
Registered
579 Posts
would go way rich unless you have a bunch of spray with some lean kits.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Timing

One of the small tire guys we race with actually leaves on 0 degrees of timing all the time spraying 40% of a 400 shot built over 1.9 seconds. The car weighs over 3500 lbs and runs 5.52 @126+

Totally depends on the motor, lots of Outlaw 10.5 guys cross the stripe with only 8-12 degrees of timing in the motor.

·
Registered
412 Posts
On my old sbc we used to leave the line with +1 at times on a .042 with no progressive.The bbc has 2 big stages and timing gets pulled back to 1 or 2 btc twice in the run,once on the 1st and again when the big ass 2nd turns on.

Make sure the rotor phase is spot on or it will give you a bang out the carb.I run 30* initial, 16* going down track , phase rotor at 14* for a little extra room.

·
Registered
514 Posts
anyone think it could kill a couple ground straps??

Sawing off the ground straps is usually from too much timing.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well my distributor moved and it had 15 total, pulled 14 and it nipped two plugs and ran really really slow heh

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
well my distributor moved and it had 15 total, pulled 14 and it nipped two plugs and ran really really slow heh
So do you think it got rich and had extra fuel floating around?

I have seen rich cause detonation with my stuff.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have no idea what happened, beleive it or not the plugs looked OK defeinately rich but not what you would expect. #4 and #7 had the ground straps missing. I thought maybe it crossfired? or when it did finally fire it the coil stored so much energy it just melted the straps ...i dunno what happened. Figured id see if anyone else has done something similar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts