Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a chevy smallblock with a rollercam and a good timing chain with torrington bearing. The chain is now worn out after maybe 20 passes, totally stiff with some links ok. I have had this cam for a long time and used nitrous before and now a Procharger. Other parts in the engine is ok. Any ideas? maybe vibrations? Fuel?

Chevy406 F1R Reverse Blowthru carb E85 1000hp Dragrace car

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No camwalk, I have Cloyes now and Milodon before with simular result but not as bad. I have cogbelt and suspect vibrations. Anyone had this problems?
Mats, Sweden

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Almost sounds like there was an unseen burr on the front of the crank snout, where the lower timing gear is supposed to seat flush against? How's the dowel on that cam, straight, no damage? Never been bumped or dropped? Some ideas, start with the small stuff.

---==Temio Williams
Yuba City, CA

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
How tight are you running your cog belt in deflection and what kind of snout is on the the crank bbc or sbc ? I am wondering if you are flexing the crank snout and causing the timing chain to not run true under load.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a standard snout, and after braking the damper(twice!) I put a support on the crank. I think the chain was worse before the support. Now with support it doesn't show any deflection or vibrations on the snout. With support the chain would be ok but it's not. Was just curious if anyone else has seen this. Going for belt now.
Best regards Mats, Sweden

http://www.mek.nu/bilder/100919_kjula/content/DSC_8826_2_large.html

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I have seen this problem a few times when the damper is bad. The harmonics can lock the links up and cause failure within one hour in a road race engine when the under sized damper is used with lighter inertia weights on a high power engine.

Kurt

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, Kurt! Sounds like I have that problem. If I switch to belt(CCA-6100) will it work? Or will the belt deteriate? Do I need to get a bigger damper, currently I have a 6.25". When I ran this engine on nitrous there were no problems, with maybe 800hp. Now 1000hp. Thougt the cogbelt would take away the vibratitons. On Roots type you don't use a damper.
Thanks, Mats Sweden

1 - 8 of 8 Posts