Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well i cracked a couple of hyper pistons in my 350 a couple weeks ago. Not sure exactly how much boost i was running since my gauge only goes to 15. But the gauge was pegged and my air/fuel was 11.0 the whole time. The engine i was running was an old N/A engine i had built years ago and the ring gaps were a little tight and i pushed it too far.

Oops :smt073

Motor looks great other than the pistons but obviously needs a rebuild now.
I have a set of forged pistons and forged rods, I would need to buy a forged crank to do it right.

Im kind of torn since i was planning on switching to LS and i have most of the stuff needed for the swap but this setup works so damn well, the decision is kinda tough.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Could you have the LS in and running for the same price as a cheap 4340 crank, balance job,and assembly.....

If yes.... Go ahead with the LS.

If no.... Build the motor and get it back in.

·
Registered
359 Posts
id go LS since a stock one with rod upgrade can hold so much power for so cheap, plus you already have a carb.

just need a ls carb intake, the msd box, junk yard 6.0, redo some of the hot side and cold side

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an Aluminum 5.3, Vic Jr, Msd 6010, Hotside built for the LS, Comp cam and new double springs, just need pushrods and an oil pan

·
KING MASTER
1,901 Posts
I have an Aluminum 5.3, Vic Jr, Msd 6010, Hotside built for the LS, Comp cam and new double springs, just need pushrods and an oil pan
Well hell, what are you waiting for then??? Install that bad boy already!

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
I'd bet on 12-14psi the 5.3 with what you have will make more power than the SBC did on however much more than 15psi you were running when it let go.

Not only that those 5.3's are pretty tough, have better head sealing because they have more meat on the deck not taken up by the face of the piston and cylinders due to their smaller bore.

I'd run the 5.3 till it popped. Hell re-gap the rings while you are at it and add ARP rod bolts and head studs, ls9 gaskets with copper cote and throw it in!

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I'd bet on 12-14psi the 5.3 with what you have will make more power than the SBC did on however much more than 15psi you were running when it let go.

Not only that those 5.3's are pretty tough, have better head sealing because they have more meat on the deck not taken up by the face of the piston and cylinders due to their smaller bore.

I'd run the 5.3 till it popped. Hell re-gap the rings while you are at it and add ARP rod bolts and head studs, ls9 gaskets with copper cote and throw it in!
I have to argue your head sealing point, the ls motors lift heads all the time because they don't have as many bolts per cylinder as the sbc. Hell people are running wastegates in the cooling system so they don't pop radiators.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts