Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
you really dont want to go over vinyl flooring with tile. if you really have to do that way u must use a unmodified thin set or it will never dry.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told that you could use a latex modifier? But the dry times are long like a couple of days. Which would be ok. Treed me. Where do you buy the latex?

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Any one ever use Versabond Flex thin set to go over vinyl flooring? I have a basement bathroom to do and I can't get the vinyl off the concrete. Thanks for any help.
http://www.custombuildingproducts.c...entMortars/VersabondFlexFortifiedThinSet.aspx
You can use a regular thinset, I prefered Bonsals when I was a contractor...However you need to use a latex admix. It is a liquid that is mixed into the thinset. You use it @ 100% strength w/ no water. Used it a couple of times w/ no issue over a vinyl floor that had asbestos in it. It is very common stuff in FL when putting tile over Terazzo flooring.

Unless the vinyl flooring is loose I never bother trying to pull it up. Just tile over it.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
I was told that you could use a latex modifier? But the dry times are long like a couple of days. Which would be ok. Treed me. Where do you buy the latex?

Lowes, Home Depot...any tile supplier. And it doesn't take that long to set.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Is it going over a concrete floor or wood subfloor under the vinyl?

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Theres a guy on the bullet that has some 9x9 tile hes lookin to get rid of a few days back. :)

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
ok, then the vinyl admix and thinset will be the easiest...if it was wood then I would just tell you to Hardyboard the area and go w/ regular thinset.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I would use mapei planipatch with planipatch plus which is a latex additive... This is a patching compund and then you can use reg. thin set over this with no issues. Also since there might be a little flex in the concreate you might think about getting some schluter membrane..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Id ski, coat it with some kind plani patch, then use the motor. I have done it this way numerous of times and never had a problem. As long as none of the vinyl is loose or coming up you should be alright..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts