Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm building a 68 firebird with a alum head 455, caltracs MT ET streets, moroso front springs and calvert 90/10 shocks. The front end has been rebuilt with Global West bushings and tubular upper control arms.

My question is how tight should I tighten the suspension bolts? Does any one have a torque setting to have them safe but loose or does everyone just do it "looser than stock." Any opinions or stuff that will/won't work. Thanks.

Dave

·
X275!
4,937 Posts
Are you talking about the bolts that go through the bushings on the lowers? Personally, I like to run them very loose. I tighten up the bolts until the nut just touches the frame, not much more. I have always thought that this allowed for a more free movement of the front suspension which allows you to tune the suspension with the spring and the shock instead of having to guess how much you are preloading the suspension with bushing drag.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Use a Nylock Nut and I tighten mine so the A-Arm drops under their own weight, with no spring on them

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
I tighten the crap out of them, they are on heims, not bushings. They will egg shape the hole, if given half the chance. Is a good idea to re-inforce the holes the bolts go thru on the frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts