Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fighting this fucking converter for two seasons. I just bought the twin caliper rear brakes and can build the boost on the foot brake. Problem is it takes 20-25 secs to build boost on the footbrake and now the trans is starting to slip. The idle came way up when it was in first gear so we adjusted the band of the tranny with the tranny in the car and the idle came down again. I spooled the car on the footbrake again and the trans is slipping again in first and slipping when I shift from 1rst to 2nd.

I got the twin rear caliper brakes so that I wouldn't be so hard on the tranny with the trans brake (building heat) but apparently the footbrake is just as bad! Does the footbrake build tonnes of heat in the trans just like the trans brake??

I guess it is time to buy a new converter! The unit I have barely stalls over 2500rpm, is this very tight? Are other people with turbo cars running this tight of a converter? I previously had a 4000stall converter and it spooled the turbo in no time!

The particulars on the car are down below! Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The converter builds the heat, it doesn't know what is stalling it, whether it be the internal clutch packs in the trans acting as a brake, or the vehicle brakes.

Whe you put power to the converter, and it can't send power out, it makes heat.

So yes the footbrake will build as much heat as the t-brake.

It sounds like your forward clutches are slipping, probably time for a rebuild at this point.

You need a looser converter IMO.
Turbo cars are always harder to get the converter setup correctly because they are "soft" and then have huge torque.

I would look at the PTC converters for a turbo combo.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'd say the motor should be able to get to 3500rpm or more on the trans brake by itself if not higher. My nearly stock 305 could do this and spooled the 91mm on the brake fairly quickly and got to the 4500rpm rev limiter.

·
Peeing In Your Cheerios
8,512 Posts
I have been fighting this fucking converter for two seasons. I just bought the twin caliper rear brakes and can build the boost on the foot brake. Problem is it takes 20-25 secs to build boost on the footbrake and now the trans is starting to slip. The idle came way up when it was in first gear so we adjusted the band of the tranny with the tranny in the car and the idle came down again. I spooled the car on the footbrake again and the trans is slipping again in first and slipping when I shift from 1rst to 2nd.

I got the twin rear caliper brakes so that I wouldn't be so hard on the tranny with the trans brake (building heat) but apparently the footbrake is just as bad! Does the footbrake build tonnes of heat in the trans just like the trans brake??

I guess it is time to buy a new converter! The unit I have barely stalls over 2500rpm, is this very tight? Are other people with turbo cars running this tight of a converter? I previously had a 4000stall converter and it spooled the turbo in no time!

The particulars on the car are down below! Thanks for any help!
20-25 seconds? something is wrong in a major way.

My 327 ci turbo combo gets abt 2700-2800 on the fb quickly, fights to 3500(where I have the fb chip) and goes to 4000 instantly when I get on the TB...

Id puke if I set my shit on the brake for 25 seconds.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it sure doesn't smell like fresh cut flowers thats for sure FUCKING shitty converter! AARRRRRRRG!

·
Registered
724 Posts
its a balancing act...loosen up to build boost and it becomes more inefficient downtrack when the power really hits....too tight and the converter is a royal PITA to spool...

mine is almost that tight...but doesn't take me anywhere near 25 seconds to build boost...IIRC...it takes about 12 seconds from the time I start spooling to the time I release the Tbrake on the protree.

·
Registered
727 Posts
360ci with a 78mm percision. With a ultimate concepts converter on the t brake is almost instant? Stock rear drums will not let me come up on boost foot braking
25 seconds?? Thats kinda like hey wait here and ill be ready in a minute or so :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts