Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently came across a great deal on a brand new Miller 200 tig set up. Been practicing on some mild steel . Kinda takes some getting used to after using a mig for several years. My question is What are the starting points for aluminum? Reason I ask is a friend of mine has an aluminum boat that has a cracked weld where the eye is welded on the front of the boat (where the rope ties on). It just needs a small weld. Any idea where to start.....filler rod, heat setting ,tungsten diameter, etc? Also I did a search but did not come up with anything that helped. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
The boat will be really oxidized. Get yourself a STAINLESS STEEL(MUST BE SS), wire brush to clean the aluminum with. Designate this brush for aluminum only...as soon as you use it one something else, never touch it to aluminum again.
1/8" tungsten(dont think thats an inverter machine), start with 120 amps. 4043 filler rod is probably your best bet.
Not saying this is correct, but this is how I would tackle the job.

GOOD LUCK. Practice makes perfect remember.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the tips. Boat is .080 thickness. My machine is NOT inverter just regular transformer. I looked at the welding tips page. It was a great read. Wasted most of my work day however I never got to any part that stated what size filler rod to what size tungsten when it came to aluminum. I kinda figured it would need a 1/8" tungsten but what size filler? Thanks for all the help.

·
Pro Spectator
5,550 Posts
if you are welding .080" you don`t need 1/8th tungsten, 3/16" will work too. don`t forget to put a ball on the tungsten.
+1 on 5000 series, most boats are made from 5052 or 5086, 5356 rod is most likely what you will want to use

1/16" or 3/32" rod

·
Registered
724 Posts
Never seen 3/16 tungsten pretty big he mean 3/32 but I use both. 1/8 is fine remember welding aluminum the cleaner the better dirty is no fun and not easy

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds like a nice set up! It wont take long for you to start welding everything in site with that machine lol

I weld .090 alum. everyday at work.

heres my rundown

3/32 2% thoriated tungsten ground sharp
1/16 5356 filler rod, Ive been told its less prone to cracking vs the 4043
125 amps, put the pedal where you want it
Oh ya and straight argon as you already know

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I think I have what I need now to at least get started. I really appreciate the responses

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Use the same red painted tungsten you use for steel and stainless steel. The green is a pain in the ass. Sharpen the red with a 30ish degree angle and blunt the end a bit. You will have a much easier time welding with it. The ball on the end of a green tungsten sends the arc flying in very direction and will drive you nuts.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Use the same red painted tungsten you use for steel and stainless steel. The green is a pain in the ass. Sharpen the red with a 30ish degree angle and blunt the end a bit. You will have a much easier time welding with it. The ball on the end of a green tungsten sends the arc flying in very direction and will drive you nuts.
Very true...forgot to add that.

·
Pro Spectator
5,550 Posts
Never seen 3/16 tungsten pretty big he mean 3/32 but I use both. 1/8 is fine remember welding aluminum the cleaner the better dirty is no fun and not easy
yes I wanted to type 3/32", I can`t type worth a shit on my iPhone.:rolleyes:

PS I use 5/32 tungsten for some stuff, I weld aluminum every day on stuff for the navy, thick plate( over 3/4") really soaks up the heat.

·
Registered
336 Posts
yes I wanted to type 3/32", I can`t type worth a shit on my iPhone.:rolleyes:

PS I use 5/32 tungsten for some stuff, I weld aluminum every day on stuff for the navy, thick plate( over 3/4") really soaks up the heat.
you were probably just distracted by those bouncing titties.:p

1 - 20 of 67 Posts