Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I'm jumping the gun here. I drained my oil today and found what looks like a needle bearing on the magnetic drain plug.. This is this is a brand new 565 with 21 runs on it and only 6 of those are full passes. What is a common reason these can fail? I can order up another one but what other damage should I be looking for? Thx

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
What type of Rockers?

Roller cam?...if so possibly roller lifters?

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
Hopefully I'm jumping the gun here. I drained my oil today and found what looks like a needle bearing on the magnetic drain plug.. This is this is a brand new 565 with 21 runs on it and only 6 of those are full passes. What is a common reason these can fail? I can order up another one but what other damage should I be looking for? Thx
I think you should do some checking before you do any more running of the engine.If a lifter is broken you should be able to see that on a valve lash check do you have a belt drive or a chain with a needle bearing behind the cam and a roller button in front of the sprocket -rockers -lifters and timing parts is where to look

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya roller cam. Comp shaft rockers. I'm going to drop the pan and see if there is any more debris. Then check rockers, Torrington bearing then lifters.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya roller cam. Comp shaft rockers. I'm going to drop the pan and see if there is any more debris. Then check rockers, Torrington bearing then lifters.
I keep track of what rockers need more adjustments than others. I did have one that seemed quite loose so maybe that is the culprit. Broken is one thing but engine damage is another.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you found needle bearings the first place I would look is the rocker arms. I would take each one off, look at the shaft bearing race for cracks, wash and blow out with air. IF one has failed you will probably blow more needle bearings out. If you find any with damage replace the entire set. I had 2 sets of the Gold rocker arms do this. The size motor you describe you might want to step up in the quality of the rocker arm. Also if you found the bearing in the oil pan what other damage did it cause on the way through the engine.
Good luck JCS

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thank you for your input. We will drop the pan to look for any additional pieces. The rockers all look good. It's a high quality shaft system. The engine was built by a very reputable engine shop so I trust they did a great job assembling the engine. Once we drop the oil pan we can get a better look up in the engine. I cut open the oil filter and it looks good. Yes the bottom line is there is some damage but what else is damaged ?thx for the input .

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,925 Posts
I keep track of what rockers need more adjustments than others. I did have one that seemed quite loose so maybe that is the culprit. Broken is one thing but engine damage is another.
Ok thank you for your input. We will drop the pan to look for any additional pieces. The rockers all look good. It's a high quality shaft system. The engine was built by a very reputable engine shop so I trust they did a great job assembling the engine. Once we drop the oil pan we can get a better look up in the engine. I cut open the oil filter and it looks good. Yes the bottom line is there is some damage but what else is damaged ?thx for the input .
Those two things never go together.

A quality shaft system stays dead-nuts-on for a very long time.

A junk system, I couldn't tell you, never owned a junk one.

If you have a rocker that you are finding loose each time you check them, you have a real problem on your hands. Lifters are the first place I would be looking.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The same thing Happened to me and it turned out to be the Cam Thrust bearing. I Dropped the pan, found more pieces. I took off the front timing cover, and saw where the bearing failed. I installed a Jesel Belt drive which eliminated this bearing and all was good. Good Luck!

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
even have found errant piece after I pressed out one of the cam bearing inserts.. it probably was in fact loose and slipped in when block was turned up side down for the third time..and good thing we found it..probably stuck in the oil on the main web....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had needles go through the pump screen check the pump. It's good nothing is in the filter, maybe you made a lucky find and can fix it with little damage. I had a needle get behind the timing chain and tear it up too, be thorough. Check the inside bottom of the motor for dings things can fly around in there before they fall into the sump.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok good stuff here. I pulled the valve covers and got down in the engine with an inspection camera. I couldn't fine anything that looked suspicious but right now I'm waiting for the shop to get an opening so I can bring it in to drop the pan etc. If it is the thrust bearing I may put on the belt drive. Thank you for the advice

1 - 15 of 15 Posts