Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to clean some 5/8-18 threads inside a hole. I can't find a thread chaser this size unless someone knows where I can buy one from. Would it be alright to use a tap? If a tap is alright, which one....
- taper (for starting holes)
- plug (for through holes)
- bottom (for blind holes)

Thanks

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Tap would be last resort as far as chasing critical load bearing threads. BUT I have used a tap as last resort a bottoming tap would do just that in a blind hole.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NES internal thread chaser ........ Google it.
I did ----> $$$$

I just need to clean up some powdercoating that got on the threads. The bolt starts but it's tight. Can't justify spending $300 for clean some paint.

If I put cylinder tube wire brush on a cordless drill, would the brush hurt the threads?

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
21,097 Posts
Tap would be last resort as far as chasing critical load bearing threads. BUT I have used a tap as last resort a bottoming tap would do just that in a blind hole.
First I've heard this. And I ain't bein' a smart ass. Elaborate?

I'd use a plug or bottom tap, but most small towns the hardware store won't have any idea what a bottom tap is. Some of 'em might not even know what a tap is, nowadays.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm a 25 year machinist and have never needed a thread chaser, always use a tap. Either a plug or bottoming tap will work fine. If you can't find one locally Amazon has them.

Brent

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
I'm a 25 year machinist and have never needed a thread chaser, always use a tap. Either a plug or bottoming tap will work fine. If you can't find one locally Amazon has them.

Brent
^^^This..thread done. No pun intended!!!! Good luck:D:cool:

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
If you can find a forming tap, you'd push the material back where it belongs without cutting anything away. Much better choice.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just read the whole thread that you are just cleaning out powder coat. Any of the above solutions will work, don't over think it. Grab a 5/8-18 bolt and your Dremel with a thin cut off wheel, cut a slot lengthwise in the bolt threads with the cut off wheel at a slight angle so it makes a sharp hook on the threads to cut out the powder coat, screw the bolt in and out, blow out the threads and call it done. Spend your money on something that makes the car faster.

Brent

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
bottom tap works well:cool:regular tap will work too...:-damnit 18 tpi is fine thread...

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Just cleaning out powder coat? Every reply to this thread will work. Stop overthinking it.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
for this specific application you can use a tap to clean out the PAINT...

but there is such a thing as a colapseable tap..

in a bind i have in fact made one out of a normal tap by removing all the threads on one flute of a three flute tap or removing two adjacent flutes on a four flute tap...
and then putting it in the bad hole..
and then forcing a stick pencil doun the flute so that the taps teeth bear against the threads.. and then REMOVE the tap in reverse direction of rotation..
simple.. an old trick
and old trick that they dont teach in school...and

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

in a bind i have in fact made one out of a normal tap by removing all the threads on one flute of a three flute tap or removing two adjacent flutes on a four flute tap...
and then forcing a stick pencil doun the flute so that the taps teeth bear against the threads.. and then REMOVE the tap in reverse direction of rotation..
simple.. an old trick
when you do that you get oversize threads you phuckin moron !! you don`t even know how a torque wrench works , Charlie !!!

·
Registered
8,489 Posts

simple.. an old trick
Really bad idea. I'd piss in the hole and hope my urine cleans the threads before I'd do this.

Again...forming tap.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

simple.. an old trick
and old trick that they dont teach in school...and then I am off to read the Chinese cookbook "101 ways to wok your dog":-damnit
:-kill

1 - 20 of 32 Posts