Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a street car that goes to the track, and looking to get rid of some weight. I have electric open exhaust cutouts at the bottom of the downpipes, and basically run it open at the track, or when the car gets run hard. Tee'd in on downpipes is the tie in for the stock exhaust, and I have 2.5" stainless pipes that end under the driver/passenger seats. I'd like to go to 2.5" aluminum from this point back, including the over the axle tailpipes. Is this a good idea, or a headache waiting to happen? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
we have made aluminum flanges for downpipes and used aluminum for exhaust right off the turbo for years. as mentioned above,use 11 gauge (120 wall) aluminum and quality made material and you shouldnt have any problems.

Wade McGowan
Race Part Solutions
www.racepartsolutions.com

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
I have run aluminum right off exhaust housings for years on the race car and plan on doing the same on new street car. I'll probably run 11ga the first couple feet then jump down to 14ga or 16ga from there onward.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,391 Posts
I run aluminum exhaust. My first 2 bends are stainless, the rest is aluminum.

Easily 300 passes on the aluminum parts now, plus 2 Drag Weeks, a few true street races and a ton of street driving.

It might not last as long as stainless, but it will last longer then mild steel or aluminized mild steel.

I get my stuff from Racepartsolutions.com, it welds really nice.

·
AMP Racing member
3,457 Posts
we have made aluminum flanges for downpipes and used aluminum for exhaust right off the turbo for years. as mentioned above,use 11 gauge (120 wall) aluminum and quality made material and you shouldnt have any problems.

Wade McGowan
Race Part Solutions
www.racepartsolutions.com

I have a box with your parts in it in my garage waiting for me to find time to cut/weld it up...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts