Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you lost your job through no fault of your own, how long would it take you to get another comparable job? Do you think it's possible?

If you couldn't get a comparable job, how long would it take you to get a job that is below your pay grade? Do you think it's possible? How many jobs would you lose out on because you are overqualified?

How difficult would it be for you to be out of work, through no fault of your own, and find yourself one of the 47%?

Perhaps you should quit being so smug and look at the big picture. :)

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
If I were out of a job tomorow I would work 2 or 3 jobs if I had to to make my life work. There is zero promise by any business that you will have a job tomorrow.

The problem is people are in over there heads with dept and have no idea how to control there money.

They get good paying jobs or work alot of OT, they base there budget on that and when it crashes there done.

But thats me.

Keith

·
I forgot what to do next!
6,090 Posts
If I were out of a job tomorow I would work 2 or 3 jobs if I had to to make my life work. There is zero promise by any business that you will have a job tomorrow.

The problem is people are in over there heads with dept and have no idea how to control there money.

They get good paying jobs or work alot of OT, they base there budget on that and when it crashes there done.

But thats me.

Keith
So true its living above your means!!

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Never in 30 yrs{been working since I was 15}Have I ever had trouble finding a job.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
I had this happen 4 years ago, I went from making about 125K to nothing over night and let me tell you it sucks balls but I started over the next day and never looked back. You only have 2 options give up or get up and get back to work, I decided the 2nd option was a better choice.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I had this happen 4 years ago, I went from making about 125K to nothing over night and let me tell you it sucks balls but I started over the next day and never looked back. You only have 2 options give up or get up and get back to work, I decided the 2nd option was a better choice.
Bill I worked for a company for 28 years. It was bought out by Germans and then closed down. I got called into the office one day and got told, "thanks, but your job will be terminated in 4 weeks" Sucks big time for sure. I went right home, got my wife to fix my resume and beat the streets. Had a new job in less the 3 weeks.

You need to do what ever needs done... No one owes anything to you.

Keith

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
moved down to phx back in may .. neither myself or my wife had a job ligned up .. quit our jobs in wa packed our shit and moved ... within a month we both had jobs , making more than we were in wa with a lower cost of living , give yourself the skills that are needed and you will always have a job .. go get a cdl hell walk into swift,schnider,martin,werner etc and they will pay for you to go get your cdl , the bullshit of "theres no jobs out there" is just that ... bullshit

everyone tried to warn me that the job market sucks in arizona , we proved that wrong ... imo , if you dont have a job .. your job ... is to go get one!!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
If you lost your job through no fault of your own, how long would it take you to get another comparable job? Do you think it's possible?

If you couldn't get a comparable job, how long would it take you to get a job that is below your pay grade? Do you think it's possible? How many jobs would you lose out on because you are overqualified?

How difficult would it be for you to be out of work, through no fault of your own, and find yourself one of the 47%?

Perhaps you should quit being so smug and look at the big picture. :)
There's no reason someone shouldn't be able to find work. If you don't have a job it's cause you don't want one. McDonald's is always hiring, same with Wal-Mart and so forth.

The problem is the 47% is just 100% lazy.

And when we coddle them they have no reason to not be lazy. I don't know how many people I have talked to on unemployment or welfare and I ask them how the job search is going and what they are doing and they simply reply "I'll worry about it when it runs out". :mad:

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
EXACTLY Bill!

If I lost my job today I would start over tomorrow. I would try and keep doing what I'm doing but if not, I guarantee that I would be making money without much break.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
I graduated from a Tech school in1983 with a Oilfield instrumentation degree.If you remember that was the year of the oilfield slump.Went to work delivering auto parts until I could find a better job.Didnt know I should of bitched and moaned until someone gave me something

·
Registered
468 Posts
come on............. please tell

whats your secret......

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lost 5 jobs in 1 yr in the early 80's when interest was 25% and all the car dealers went out of business. Started my own shop & still going 30 yrs later. I'll guarantee I could shut it down & work at any dealer in town right now. If you want to work you'll work ,it's easy if you have skills & the want to.

·
FFW Crew
1,237 Posts
I just got a new job. Have to quit my current job to take the new one. If this one doesn't work out I could go back to my current one without an issue. Not to mention every truck dealer is hiring in my area. It would take me less then a week to start a new job in the mechanic field. If you want to work you can find a job in no time. It comes down to are you willing to work or are you a bottom sucker. Hell if you are under the age of 36 you could join the military. They are always looking and it will help getting a good job when you get out.

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,554 Posts
Been through that twice. One time I was out of work for a year. Both time took a significant pay cut to find work and then moved forward to raise my standard of living again. I didn't protest anyone. I didn't complain about my student loans or any other bills I agreed to take on. I just shut the fuck up and got down to brass tacks.

See...that's what people with ambition and drive do...they get shit done. Too bad only a portion of the country feels this way.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I will say that the 47% dont care to find a job, or maybe it's 46% and 1% of them may actually be trying.

I am a business owner and get to see it from all sides. Just last week, we had 83 interviews scheduled for 3 available position. Only 18 interviewers showed up for there interview. Only 7 of those had the decency to come in wearing professional attire.

And you want me to believe there not lazy and are doing everything they can to get a job.:confused:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will say that the 47% dont care to find a job, or maybe it's 46% and 1% of them may actually be trying.

I am a business owner and get to see it from all sides. Just last week, we had 83 interviews scheduled for 3 available position. Only 18 interviewers showed up for there interview. Only 7 of those had the decency to come in wearing professional attire.

And you want me to believe there not lazy and are doing everything they can to get a job.:confused:
I think you're making a sweeping generalization.

Sure, there are lazy people... do you think that almost half the population of the USA is lazy?

Remember that many of the 47% have jobs and work hard, but make so little that they don't end up having to pay federal income tax after deductions.... for you to characterize the people you are interviewing as 'the 47%' is wrong IMO, I would say that it is probably closer to some percentage of the 10-20% of unemployed....

What percentage of the 10-20% unemployed US residents would qualify to interview for a job with your company?

·
FFW Crew
1,237 Posts

Hit the nail on the head. Bitch and cry about not having a job then no show to an interview. We hired a guy and he no called no showed for the first 3 days he should have been working. Then when he finally show he came in without any tools, work boots and in shorts. He said he would just charge everything he needed on the tool truck. Completely unprepared.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hit the nail on the head. Bitch and cry about not having a job then no show to an interview. We hired a guy and he no called no showed for the first 3 days he should have been working. Then when he finally show he came in without any tools, work boots and in shorts. He said he would just charge everything he needed on the tool truck. Completely unprepared.
Absolutely, there are people like this... but I don't think that it describes all people.

To you and the other gentleman who posted, can you tell me what job skills are required to do that work? Perhaps the no call/no show/no care attitude can be explained by examining the subset of the unemployed who possess those skills?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts