Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
Yup a majority of my ER where I work has gotten it from patients coughing, sneezing and doing what ever else you can imagine on us. Its nasty lot of us have been out for a few days so far. Thankfully I have yet to come down with it.

·
Registered
15,599 Posts
Damn, I didnt even think about green tea. I love that stuff. Warming the tea pot now. Thanks.
You're welcome. I hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Keep yourself hydrated. Pedialyte is good, but drink some hot green tea with lemon and honey too. Take hot baths to help your body sweat the infection out. Do not take any Tylenol or Ibuproffin during the day, only at night to help you sleep without fever. Cover yourself in multiple blankets to help you sweat. Everyone is quick to "reduce fever" but if you don't let the fever run, the body isn't fighting off the infection. If your fever gets over 102, go to the ER. Take some immodium too.
Youre like an awesome YB mom...

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
This shit kicked in last night, and fuck me its bad. Puking, pissing out my ass, cant keep shit down. I didnt get a flu shot and never have. I prob havent had the flu in twenty years, maybe I just dont remember it well but my whole body aches. My stomach is in knots.

Im going to try some Pedalyte in a bit so I dont get dehydrated. Any other suggestions?
Doesn't sound like the flu too me...........Influenza is a respiratory illness.

·
Registered
15,599 Posts
Flu shots are bogus as far as I'm concerned. There are many different strains of the flu. The shot you get this year is from the worst strain from last year. Though you may be protected from ONE, you are NOT protected from the others. I havent had the flu in many many years. I only had a flu shot once, and that's when I got the flu, so I never got another. I take vitamins and wash my hands ALOT.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong: The flu shots are for respitory flu. What you are describing seems to be a stomach bug or what some call the stomach flu. I don't think Tamaflu is effective at combating the stomach deal.
I had Influenza A respitory the Friday before Christmas. Chills were bad Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday the clinic gave me Tamaflu. Started feeling better Monday. Good for Christmas. No idea if the script did anything to shorten the flu, but it made me nauseous. It also made me $50 lighter even with insurance. I still have a cough that I cannot shake. I got my flu shot about a week before getting the flu. Probably a week too late or so.

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong: The flu shots are for respitory flu. What you are describing seems to be a stomach bug or what some call the stomach flu. I don't think Tamaflu is effective at combating the stomach deal.
I had Influenza A respitory the Friday before Christmas. Chills were bad Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday the clinic gave me Tamaflu. Started feeling better Monday. Good for Christmas. No idea if the script did anything to shorten the flu, but it made me nauseous. It also made me $50 lighter even with insurance. I still have a cough that I cannot shake. I got my flu shot about a week before getting the flu. Probably a week too late or so.
You nailed it especially the part about there is no such thing as a stomach flu.................I never heard this slang term till I moved to Ohio..........I'm from Michigan and we just called it having the shits.

·
Registered
15,599 Posts
What Everyone Should Know About Flu and the Flu Vaccine

What is the flu?

The flu is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. Some people, such as older people, young children, and people with certain health conditions, are at high risk for serious flu complications.

Every year in the United States:
  • ~ 5% to 20% of the population gets the flu;
  • on average more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu complications, and;
  • over 23,600 people die from flu (with a range of 3,349-48,614 people); about 90% of such deaths occur in persons aged 65 years and older.
The best way to prevent this illness is by getting a flu vaccination.
What are the symptoms of the flu?

The flu usually starts suddenly and may include these symptoms:
  • Fever* or feeling feverish/chills
  • Cough
  • Sore throat
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headaches
  • Fatigue (tiredness)
  • Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults
* It's important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The er said this years flu shot not doin much for the strain that's running around, my wife is 8.5 mo prego, and she was having a terrible time so I drug her to er.. I was out 5 days from work.. She was out .. Terrible..

·
Registered
15,599 Posts
Influenza, commonly known as the 'flu' , is an infectious disease of birds and mammals caused by RNA viruses of the family Orthomyxoviridae, the influenza viruses. The most common symptoms are chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, headache (often severe), coughing, weakness/fatigue and general discomfort. Although it is often confused with other influenza-like illnesses, especially the common cold, influenza is a more severe disease caused by a different type of virus. Influenza may produce nausea and vomiting, particularly in children, but these symptoms are more common in the unrelated gastroenteritis, which is sometimes inaccurately referred to as "stomach flu" or "24-hour flu".

Flu can occasionally lead to pneumonia, either direct viral pneumonia or secondary bacterial pneumonia, even for persons who are usually very healthy. In particular it is a warning sign if a child (or presumably an adult) seems to be getting better and then relapses with a high fever as this relapse may be bacterial pneumonia. Another warning sign is if the person starts to have trouble breathing.

Typically, influenza is transmitted through the air by coughs or sneezes, creating aerosols containing the virus. Influenza can also be transmitted by direct contact with bird droppings or nasal secretions, or through contact with contaminated surfaces. Airborne aerosols have been thought to cause most infections, although which means of transmission is most important is not absolutely clear. Influenza viruses can be inactivated by sunlight, disinfectants and detergents. As the virus can be inactivated by soap, frequent hand washing reduces the risk of infection.

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Damn, I didnt even think about green tea. I love that stuff. Warming the tea pot now. Thanks.
Now............ there's a thought!...
I could hook you up with some "tea"........................... that'll make ya forget you're sick at ALL!... :cool:

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
81,307 Posts
ALL YOU NEED IS A QUICK SHOT OF DOCTOR CAPSLOCK ROOT OIL...HOLD STILL

·
Push Me Shove You
5,886 Posts
I pretend to have the Flu....She still takes Temperature the old fashion way too...

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Shit had me in the fetal position for 30 hrs freezing my ass off under every blanket I could get my hands on.

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
The er said this years flu shot not doin much for the strain that's running around, my wife is 8.5 mo prego, and she was having a terrible time so I drug her to er.. I was out 5 days from work.. She was out .. Terrible..

Yeah it aint doing shit for the flu this year. Worse season Ive seen so far in my nursing career. I refuse to get the shots only time ive gotten them ever was when they were mandated in nursing school for clinicals. Sucked cus I hate the flu vaccine, like it has been stated its last years major strain.

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
21 - 40 of 42 Posts