Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep having the same dream ,it started in the early 80's

I am building a head ,my own design, for a one cylinder motorcycle it is a four stroke but it has no valves. It has 2 tubes that run by a chain from the crank. One tube is the intake the other tube is the ext . AS the tube turns a hole in the side lines up with chamber to allow the intake charge to enter the cylinder as the tube turns the hole is closed ,the engine fires as it turns more the other tube witch also has a hole in the side lets the ext exit the engine .

no valves to fail
much more rpm
no loss of hp due to friction
no loss of HP due to high spring load
no cam

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I keep having the same dream ,it started in the early 80's

I am building a head ,my own design, for a one cylinder motorcycle it is a four stroke but it has no valves. It has 2 tubes that run by a chain from the crank. One tube is the intake the other tube is the ext . AS the tube turns a hole in the side lines up with chamber to allow the intake charge to enter the cylinder as the tube turns the hole is closed ,the engine fires as it turns more the other tube witch also has a hole in the side lets the ext exit the engine .

no valves to fail
much more rpm
no loss of hp due to friction
no loss of HP due to high spring load
no cam

Meth is a terrible thing.:p

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How would you dwell the tube at the port long enough to fill and empty the cyl. ? The faster you turned it the less time you would have.

How would you deliver fuel?
I am no engine expert and don't clam to be .the size of the tube ID would have to be close to the size as the valve size for a given CID the piston's downward movement would suck in fuel and air the same would it not ? I thought a person could add a piece in side twisted flat strap fi you will to case a ram air effect the hole size and shape would control the amount A/F to enter the cylinder.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You're thinking rotary valves . Look on the net , some interesting stuff out there . See if you can find the one about the valve in Formula One that got banned .

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I am on engine expert and don't clam to be .the size of the tube ID would have to be close to the size as the valve size for a given CID the piston's downward movement would suck in fuel and air the same would it not ? I thought a person could add a piece in side twisted flat strap fi you will to case a ram air effect the hole size and shape would control the amount A/F to enter the cylinder.

Makes my head hurt just thinking about it.........much better things to dream about. :p

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
similar Idea mine would go thought the center . I guess this was a bad Idea to post . thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
NO! Not a bad idea to post. Don't let anybody stop you from thinking or make you feel like you shouldn't throw out ideas or questions. In fact a lot of people have worked on the rotary valve idea through the years. Sleeve valves, rotary valves, disc valves - all been tried and the sleeve valve was used in some successful aircraft and automotive applications. Check them out via Google etc. It's still hard to beat the poppet valve. Really all of us are just trying to make a 100+ year old whore a virgin and who knows, maybe somebody like you might come up with the magic to make the whore a virgin again - deliver a "disruptor" to current thinking and technology. Never, ever let 'em get to you. So many people sit around melting their brains in front of the TV or on the web today.. I found your post refreshing.
Norm Drazy told me years ago, when I ran a crazy idea by him, about how when he was a kid he would experiment in his parents basement and started some "uncontrollable fires" and asked me to never stop starting those uncontrollable fires either. Know what I mean? I've sorta used that as my mantra when I'm stuck on a problem or have engineered myself into a corner. Start an uncontrollable fire in my mind and just let the idea's flow. Keep at it!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
similar Idea mine would go thought the center . I guess this was a bad Idea to post . thanks guys.
i understand what your thinking the charge would come from the inside of the hollow tube into the cylinder. now i was thinking one step farther and maybe put a system on the tube that at low speeds pulls it back, only half aligned with the port in the head to keep entering air at higher velocity then as rpms increase it would slide into total alignment with the port. Kind of a variable valve size thing. you could rough the walls of the tube up to keep air/fuel mixture suspended at lower velocities......... yeah my mind does the same things. i have some drawings ive made up to produce the highest point of pressure in a cylinder after top dead center. thinking of not having to light the charge til after tdc and the advantage youd have from leverage when the crank is farther in the stroke.......

·
Registered
29,240 Posts
A bunch of people have wasted their lives trying to make that work over the last century.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you !! those of you that are a little more open minded . I still think It will work .It would be tuff to use on a v-8 . But on a one or two cylinder engine it shouldn't be as tuff. the only thing I see that would be hard, would be some type of seal to seal the tube from cylinder pressure when it fires. the rotary motors have an apex seal that type may seal it. anyway food for thought .

their would be a market for this head the 450 class race bikes .they blow up a lot ,if I had a CNC machine and the skill it would be fun to play with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts