Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running a sbc blown on E-85 for a few years now. I sold my blower/carbs and was planning on getting a larger/better blower with a pair of dominators. I was going to run E-98 this upcoming season. I now looking at maybe going with a blown injected alky set up. Any thoughts for or against it?

Thanks in advance.

·
MFI on CH3OH
14,287 Posts
All I can reccomend is getting a system off a reputable company that has flowed it and set it up safe/fat for your motor. I've seen a bunch of guys here in oz get calculator tuneups without there system being actually flowed, melted pistons and kicked rods were the result.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Blown injected alcohol has been around for many many years. What kind of blower?

Blessings.................Ron

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am currently looking at a Littlefield set up with an Enderle hat, lines, nozzles, pump, ect. It is pretty much a complete set up.

Is it the pain in the ass all my friends around here say it is? They talk about dropping cylinders all the time, washing cylinders, alky in the oil all the time, corrosion, ect. Im not scared of a little effort, but really dont know.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I am currently looking at a Littlefield set up with an Enderle hat, lines, nozzles, pump, ect. It is pretty much a complete set up.

Is it the pain in the ass all my friends around here say it is? They talk about dropping cylinders all the time, washing cylinders, alky in the oil all the time, corrosion, ect. Im not scared of a little effort, but really dont know.
Sounds like the typical drivel you hear from non users. Don't compare TAFC or ProMod with what you are aiming at. 2 totally different worlds....light years apart.

Just in case I don't grasp what you want to do consider this.
If you want to drive it around stay with the carb deal.
If you want to race only with increased HP potential go injected.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Mike Kopchick rage fuel systems. Most detailed report on fuel systems I have ever had. And gives you his number to help tune. A fat motor is a happy motor.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts

We run a setup just like that in my son's blown alcohol dragster (6.57 @ 210 best). Very easy car to run and very little attention at the track between rounds.

After the race you do need to clean the fuel system.

My grandson lic in this car last year for a 7.50 lic. We made 6 pass's in less than 3 hours trouble free.

Blessings...............................Ron

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
BTY: if you can swing the cost, totally agree on injection, though my preference is electronic.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess i should have given a little more info. This setup will be going on my drag boat. I plan to race it 5-6 times next year and maybe take it to the lake once or twice. Drive-ability will not be an issue.

If I went with the blown injected set up I would certainly step up to methanol. If I go a carb route, I think I would stay in my safety zone and use Ethanol.

Keep in mind, I have zero tuning experience with the injection and methanol, but I am not scared to learn. Keep the thoughts coming, I am on the fence......

·
Registered
624 Posts
I guess i should have given a little more info. This setup will be going on my drag boat. I plan to race it 5-6 times next year and maybe take it to the lake once or twice. Drive-ability will not be an issue.
I think you just answered your own question. See what your competitors are running and how hard you need to run. From there on it's just money.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How dependable is the methanol? Seems like every time I am at the (car) track all the alky cars are constantly broke down. How hard of a learning curve was it for you guys when you first started using methanol? I believe I would be the only boat around here running it, as I was the only boat running ethanol last year.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
How dependable is the methanol? Seems like every time I am at the (car) track all the alky cars are constantly broke down. How hard of a learning curve was it for you guys when you first started using methanol? I believe I would be the only boat around here running it, as I was the only boat running ethanol last year.
You don't go to too many tracks then. Alcohol guy broke down. I don't think so. Some of the the most fast and inovative guys you will ever meet.

Corey

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,335 Posts
Methanol in a blown and injected deal is extremely forgiving.
The tuning window is larger than with race gas/E85.
You can be dead, fat, rich and still run.

Methanol is a mono fuel whereas E85 has gasoline COMPOUNDS making E85 not as forgiving.
There is more to it than that, but that gives you an idea.

Dave Koehler can set you up for blown alky setup.
Spud Miller at wwwfuelinjectionent.com can dial you in also.

Give them a call they are both racers.

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have an enderlie bug catcher for sale that I ran on my small block I will sell it cheaper than you can buy one dominator.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How hard it the learning curve vs. gas? Most of my friends around here pretty much talked me out of it, but after the informaiton I have received from the bullet, I am seriously thinking of doing it. Thanks again..

·
Registered
860 Posts
1 of the biggest things,.............is getting the system flowed,and get the tune-up close.From there you can tune it accordingly,watching egt's,02's,and 1st thing is h20 temp.After you start making h20 temp then you you can lean on the tune-up.When is right,or close the oil will be nice and clean,no alcohol contamination!A super fat tune will give you the oil contam.Read the plugs,which i think is the toughest,but then again it will come with experience,.....!
Its not that hard of a deal,If I wear you i would start out w/Hat nozzles only!Get a handle on things,then split the fuel system,Hats&down nozzles.
Did see that motor combo,but a Bird is a great set-up!
Later
G ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts