Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car currently has a 4l80 in it now but I'm already close to exceeding it's limits. The car is 3500~# 4th gen Camaro with a 416 ls3 that pry makes almost 600 fwhp if I was guessing. Car has a 9" w/ 4.30s and is gonna be hit with a 250-300 shot. I will make a gear change if either necessary or I run out. I was thinking of running a glide but I figured I'd see what everyone else's opinion is? The goal is to go 8s on spray with this motor setup. Opinions are welcome...thanks.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I research this also, and for our cars I think a TH-400 is best.
My car weights 2880 lbs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't like how the 4l80 cruises in od while locked up, due to the cam being so big and chugging till like 3000+ rpm. so figure might as we'll go to a lighter trans with less parasitic loss?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Just unlock the converter :)

A Th400 with an aluminum direct drum would fit your combo well. A Glide would be OK if it was a strictly track car but I think your car would ET better with the Th400.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have the aluminum direct drum as well.
$600.00 extra.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious as to why people recommend th400 for most heavier (~3300) cars? I realize with a 400 you have a steeper first gear to move out of the hole quicker, but on the backside of that what about the less resistance of a powerglide you gain? Just for discussion purposes.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
A powerglide is fairly efficient but a TH400 isn't the power eater that many internet experts claim it is. Some combos need a 3 speed, some need a 2 speed. It takes more ratio to get a heavy car moving.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Jake has good points here... as far as the 80e is concerned... fire your Tuner. Have it tuned for driveability and enjoy it. I do not have one customer who does not like his 80e in his car or truck. And I have many out there.

The powerglide will slow your car down because you will chase converter and rear axle combinations vs engine power. Driveability will suffer dramatically and you will wind up working on it and not enjoying it. Leave the 80e in it, have it tuned and when it breaks have it upgraded to handle the power. That's my opinion.

g

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jake has good points here... as far as the 80e is concerned... fire your Tuner. Have it tuned for driveability and enjoy it. I do not have one customer who does not like his 80e in his car or truck. And I have many out there.

The powerglide will slow your car down because you will chase converter and rear axle combinations vs engine power. Driveability will suffer dramatically and you will wind up working on it and not enjoying it. Leave the 80e in it, have it tuned and when it breaks have it upgraded to handle the power. That's my opinion.

g
Motor has carb tuned by me, with a pretty damn good size cam for the motor. I'm just throwing this thread out to see if there is et to be gained by going to both a lighter and less power absorbing trans.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Okay cool... but I'm not talking about your engine tune. I am recommending tuning the 80e because of long term driveability. I am well aware of the cam surge you are referring to, that is cured with managing events properly. Now, if you're wanting to go to a maximum effort, quickest ET and MPH combination then I would seriously look at a TH400 with the right ratios and correct torque converter and axle ratios to match the cam you chose. A really fun combination would have custom ratios with a valve body that launches off the brake in 1st or 2nd so that you could play with tune ups and power levels.

g

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay cool... but I'm not talking about your engine tune. I am recommending tuning the 80e because of long term driveability. I am well aware of the cam surge you are referring to, that is cured with managing events properly. Now, if you're wanting to go to a maximum effort, quickest ET and MPH combination then I would seriously look at a TH400 with the right ratios and correct torque converter and axle ratios to match the cam you chose. A really fun combination would have custom ratios with a valve body that launches off the brake in 1st or 2nd so that you could play with tune ups and power levels.

g
The trans is a fmvb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts