Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be running my 334ci sbf 9:1 with a pt101/glide. I am leaning towards running alcohol on my blow thru setup instead of gas and an intercooler. what are pros and cons for me? If any more info is needed let me know. i was looking to do it for the weight savings and simplicity mainly. i havent seen very many with a small turbo motor on methanol.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Not too many cons besides needing much more fuel and fuel capacity and keeping the oil up to temp.

I will be running my 334ci sbf 9:1 with a pt101/glide. I am leaning towards running alcohol on my blow thru setup instead of gas and an intercooler. what are pros and cons for me? If any more info is needed let me know. i was looking to do it for the weight savings and simplicity mainly. i havent seen very many with a small turbo motor on methanol.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What benefits would I see from the switch from gas/intercooler to methanol? Is there anything I should change or check on before I decide to run it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
is it best to have the tank up front or can it be in the rear? we are running a belt drive aeromotive pump. does it need foam in the tank or no? does it need a fuel filter? does alcohol need a special regulator vs gas? i heard some people run two?

what exactly is needed differently from gas to alcohol? or what do i not need anymore with the switch.

i have a CSU carb for gas now, thats what i was reccomended. what company would be the best choice for blow thru alcohol?

i would also like to see anyones blowthru alcohol setups. pics would be great.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Why not run it on ethanol?

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
Methanol has more potential than ethanol. As for carb C&S has the best set up for straight Alky. They have dual needle and seat bowls with more.
You will need a much great volume of fuel to support the methanol set-up. Might want to keep the cooler depending on the turbo efficiency and outlet temp.

The fuel cell should have no foam. You may need to change some line sizes depending on set-up.

Make sure the motor does NOT have alum bearing like King. A vacuum pump is a good idea.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would give Wolfe a call and talk with him. I seem to remember him saying that is you are going to run alcohol, you really need a mag. There is a local guy that has a SBF/turbo on alcohol and Wolfe has helped him

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would give Wolfe a call and talk with him. I seem to remember him saying that is you are going to run alcohol, you really need a mag. There is a local guy that has a SBF/turbo on alcohol and Wolfe has helped him
Who is the Guy you are referring to? Is he on the bullet? Do you have a name/username/or link to him or his build?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Make sure you have enough fuel pump. You may also need to raise the compression. 9:1 seems low on an alky setup. And I wouldn't drop the coin on a mag. A 7531 will get the job done with no problems. My 388 SBC / PT106 is nowhere close to needing that kind of spark.
I have the red belt drive aeromotive pump. They advertize 1800 on methanol. I thought I may need to raise comp. But if I keep it low can't I run on both gas or Meth? And I already have a 7531. I hope that's enough. Mags are expensive.

How well does your setup run? And have you ever had it on gas? Any difference?

·
Wrong Hole Racing
3,580 Posts
I have the red belt drive aeromotive pump. They advertize 1800 on methanol. I thought I may need to raise comp. But if I keep it low can't I run on both gas or Meth? And I already have a 7531. I hope that's enough. Mags are expensive.

How well does your setup run? And have you ever had it on gas? Any difference?
It's never been on gas. But it makes very good power for a small block. It's been high 4.50's in a 10.5 car. I'm sure you can get away with lower compression but I wouldn't think it would be optimum for alcohol. What's the GPM rating for that pump?

·
Registered
594 Posts
And I wouldn't drop the coin on a mag. A 7531 will get the job done with no problems. My 388 SBC / PT106 is nowhere close to needing that kind of spark.

I've heard that before yet the guys that finally make the change to the mag pickup some ET. I know of 2 last year that dropped a tenth after changing from msd8's and that's twice the spark of a 7531. Both run smallblocks and run in the 4.50-.60 range.

·
Wrong Hole Racing
3,580 Posts
I've heard that before yet the guys that finally make the change to the mag pickup some ET. I know of 2 last year that dropped a tenth after changing from msd8's and that's twice the spark of a 7531. Both run smallblocks and run in the 4.50-.60 range.
Do you know who these guys are? Not doubting you at all, would just love to hear some real world experience for my own benefit. I could see the need to swap to a mag if you were having issues burning all the fuel in the cylinder but I have not run into that problem yet. Of course in addition to the cost of the mag, Wolfe told me that rotors, caps and wires would need to be replaced every few races with a 44. I already have enough maintenance to pay for! :(

·
Registered
861 Posts
7531 is not enough for that setup. A 7531 might work fine in your application but the truth is a lot of unburnt fuel is leaving the exhaust and a lot of power is being left on the table. For your application the only way to correctly do it would be either COP, MSD10, Mag20 or Mag44. You can piggyback the 7531 with all of these.

Make sure you have enough fuel pump. You may also need to raise the compression. 9:1 seems low on an alky setup. And I wouldn't drop the coin on a mag. A 7531 will get the job done with no problems. My 388 SBC / PT106 is nowhere close to needing that kind of spark.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Do you know who these guys are? Not doubting you at all, would just love to hear some real world experience for my own benefit. I could see the need to swap to a mag if you were having issues burning all the fuel in the cylinder but I have not run into that problem yet. Of course in addition to the cost of the mag, Wolfe told me that rotors, caps and wires would need to be replaced every few races with a 44. I already have enough maintenance to pay for! :(

I send you a PM. I feel you on the cost though. I'm going with the MSD8+ but I'm half a second slower than you. I've heard the MSD10 ignitions are just as hard on wires and stuff as the mags. In Wolfe's case that means they last a year. LOL

·
Wrong Hole Racing
3,580 Posts
I send you a PM. I feel you on the cost though. I'm going with the MSD8+ but I'm half a second slower than you. I've heard the MSD10 ignitions are just as hard on wires and stuff as the mags. In Wolfe's case that means they last a year. LOL
Got it. Thanks dude!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts