Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each winter that passes, I think more and more about moving to Florida. Some where within 45 minutes or so of Orlando. I would realy like to be an Imagineer for Disney World, and cut the chassis work down to part time instead of full time. Or maybe try to get into NASA.

For those who live down there, whats the economy like, and what would be a good area to look for a home in? Am I better off staying where I'm at? I appreciate any input.

·
Aviation Section
25,363 Posts
Both Miami and Orlando have lots of tourists, but in Orlando they stay there and drive around all day, here in Miami they are met at the airport, get on a bus, get on a boat and they are gone.

Another problem is Orlando has Miami weather with no breeze so it is REALLY hot on the summer with no relief, picture a beach with no ocean.

Heard the Space Coast is in layoff mode so be carefull. I would tell you to try to stay North of Orlando, I love Daytona Beach and it is a working mans town. If you go to Gainesville you will swear you are in the Northeast, a very nice, old city with a hell of a track. Good luck. Dave

·
Registered
580 Posts
You got a couple big goals and very hard jobs to come by, i would say land the job first then make a move your streess leval will be low this way! Florida has alot of people meaning alot of people looking for work also!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have some big goals, but I'm very motivated and realy want to be part of something big like that. I know I face a tough challange getting into jobs like those, but if I give up before I even try I'll never know.

1970ls. thank you very much. Thats exactly the type of info I'm looking for. I go to Orlando a lot and love the weather. I much rather it be 110 in the summer then 20 degrees at night for months

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
promod,

what I did was google all the cities in florida. you can find a list on the internet. I then went to there websites, and checked on the job openings for each city. I applied to each job that met my qualifications. you might be suprised at what you might find. yes, the market is tough and municipal jobs pay less, but you could agument with youre chasis work on the side. depending on the area in florida houses are affordable. I live in lakeland,which is in the central part of the state. roughly between tampa, about a 1/2 hour or so, and orlando about 45min away. I WOULD NOT MOVE here without employment lined up period!!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
also, if you go to craigslist, for whatever city you want, it will give you a idea for home prices in that area. for example city of bartow, florida 10acres, house etc.... 289,000

·
Registered
434 Posts
Weather is hot and the mosquitos are huge. Everyone else is moving here you might as well to. Disney is always hiring. Best suggestion is set up a appointment for a interview with casting and get your resume on the list. They call people back for second and third interviews all the time so you need to get the ball rolling.Good luck. Also just fyi there is a lack of chassis shops in orlando area.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I do have some big goals, but I'm very motivated and realy want to be part of something big like that. I know I face a tough challange getting into jobs like those, but if I give up before I even try I'll never know.

1970ls. thank you very much. Thats exactly the type of info I'm looking for. I go to Orlando a lot and love the weather. I much rather it be 110 in the summer then 20 degrees at night for months
I have been traveling to Orlando for years from South Florida, I live right on the Treasure Coast right now.. You BETTER be fully prepared for 6+ months of oppressive summer, and I mean it is like being locked in a sauna for many, many months! No form of clothes will help you, unlike dealing with your typical cold weather.. You become a human sprinkler for 6 months! Oh yeah, the mosquitoes come right along with that heat, too.. ;) The allure of palm trees and sun is a little misleading.. A lot of people move to Florida, but a LOT of people leave, as well.. Florida is the second most transient state in the Country, and right now has some of the highest unemployment in the country, at over 14%..

I have annual passes to both Disney, and Universal, but NEVER go up during the summer time, which starts in May, and may ease up a little in October... Don't get me wrong, I love Orlando, but would not move there due to the long, oppressive summers..

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
YIPES go to the search button up top , this " request " must be on here 12 times or more !!!! If ya like T&A move here .....................:smt082

·
Registered
320 Posts
listen to engine works a few things he didnt say was depending on were you live there are more drugs thieves people who should be killed for what assholes do to younger people /we do have a few storms in the summer /lets see how you enjoy sittig in the staging lanes when its 110 in august we race in the fall winter spring take the summer off bull has the right idea at races he has a drap top on his car .other than that come on down i did come down open mined money in the bank enjoy the beach /a lot of nice folks here like anything else check everything you can first /and if you do the best of luck to you seya at the track:cool:

·
Registered
211 Posts
moved to St Pete 5 years ago, make double from up north but it costs(or did ) 5 times more for housing. They say your paying for paradise, Its so phucking hot in the summer. These past two winters have been cold, im talking 30-50 degrees, not 0-10 degrees. Its still cold. Economy sucks because people were living like they were millionaires for too long. On the plus side, lots of things to do, it is nice sometimes. We do get screwed with daylight savings time, by the time its nice enough to go outside, its dark when you get out of work. I have never met so many stupid people in my life,its a melting pot of low IQ's . Thats why its called FlorDuh . The ultimate is if you can stay here half the year .

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
I really don't have any info about Orlando for ya but I can tell ya that NASA is getting rid of employees and not hiring at the time. I currently work with a guy that was laid off from NASA along with a bunch of other folks in his same shoes.

·
Registered
24,269 Posts
The heat can be bad in the summer , but the clouds usually roll in and then the rain in the afternoons so that helps alot . If we are in a dry spell , then yes it can be brutal , but lately we have gotten our rain in the summer . When it comes to racing , yea it sucks in the summer heat and the frequent rain outs . But we make up for it by being able to run all year . NO SNOW !

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
How about you sitting tight where you are empoyed until the economy gets better, then go looking for a spot in paradise?
Being cold at home with a job beats being unemployed in a strange, albeit warm place.
Whatever you decide, you might check the demographics of areas that interest you here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=S7yfFD7xMvoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=places+rated+almanac&source=bl&ots=uWE9_KH_GR&sig=Z5eXXvn9E4bg7yEo14ZYe4HmWK8&hl=en&ei=KHk0TfGTF8TKgQeozdnSCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEwQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

1 - 20 of 22 Posts