Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a machinist for 18 years. I have been thinking of changing careers to auto sales. Is there anyone who is in this field or has been part of this field? I have been in the tire and service end of automotive field when I was younger and part time here and there and did pretty good. It scares me though about working on commission and going without a check but it is something I have always thought about doing. I need atleast 50000 a year to make ends meet.

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
Forget it. Only the really slimy, OR really, really GOOD salesmen with years of sales experience make that kind of money. Car dealerships are built on the backs of guys who are under constant threat of being fired for not making enough sales. Is that really how you want to live?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Are you burnt out on the machinist career? My company is in.need of machinist an tool&die people.

·
The Cuban
2,806 Posts
I'm a machinist & I can see the "burnt out" feeling, but my dads being selling cars for 20+ years and I would NEVER get in auto sales, the big dealers use you for 3 months & kick you to curb. I don't see selling cars as "steady paycheck" at all

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,466 Posts
Getting into Car Sales, you will not make that kind of money anytime soon unless you're damn good.

I have had numerous friends do car sales, and the ONE guy I know that is doing it the longest is a Sales Car manager making ~$75K @ Hyundai
He worked at Saturn before that. He was the internet sales manager at Hyundai, and his motto was VOLUME, and each sale was a low commission,
but ALOT of the. Corporate likes that. The other guy I knew who became a finance manager was doing equally as well but was a cokehead and got fired.

My cousin Tank who did motorcycle sales for Chicago Cycle who turned into the Finance Manager there, his best year he did $180,000
before the recession forced them to close.......only because he knew how to negotiate a contract.

This place was the size of Costco tho.....

·
Jackass Whisperer
1,922 Posts
I have been in it 20 years. It is a good way to go broke. You go from hero to zero every month. One month you take home 4k, the next month you are lucky to beat minimum wage. Don't do it. If you are going to sell something, get a job as a rep, like aftermarket,etc.

·
Registered
47,795 Posts
My friend Jerry used to sell by himself 40-75 jeeps and Chryslers a month ...new sales manager had a hard on for him and he got fired ......now he is back with the company , leasing manager at mazda , he can still sell a car in 20 seconds ,,,great guy , great memory

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
My little brother is a car salesman, and a damn good one, too. He isnt "slimy" like was said, he's a car guy to the core, and knows how to read people and give them room, but keep them wanting the car. He tries very hard to fit a car to a person, not the other way around, like the "slimy" salesmen do. That's the real trick, I think.

He's #1 or #2 salesman every month at a very large dealership in NE Ohio, and he now is one of the top Roush salesman in the country.

He likes what he does, but he lives at the dealership, and gets phone calls constantly trying to wheel and deal so to speek. SO, if you dont think you have the dedication to make it a lifestyle, it probably isnt for you.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
dont do it. went from $1200 to $300(a week take home) got out and have been driving for the last 4+ years. ...and you thought your job was boring.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
YA Iv known a few salesman and worked at a dealership when I was a kid... Most of the salesman were dicks and they constantly got fired and rehired.. And the little bitch out sessions the car manager has with them is a joke.. IF a guy talked to me that way I would smack him in the face. Money isn't worth feeling like a piece of shit cause you didn't sell enough cars that month cause nobody came through the doors... Its kinda like selling vacuum cleaners they hire guys in hopes they sell to their friends and family when that runs out they fire you unless your selling big time...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
YA Iv known a few salesman and worked at a dealership when I was a kid... Most of the salesman were dicks and they constantly got fired and rehired.. And the little bitch out sessions the car manager has with them is a joke.. IF a guy talked to me that way I would smack him in the face. Money isn't worth feeling like a piece of shit cause you didn't sell enough cars that month cause nobody came through the doors... Its kinda like selling vacuum cleaners they hire guys in hopes they sell to their friends and family when that runs out they fire you unless your selling big time...[/QUOTE

^^^This is Sales in general. You BETTER have some THICK skin if you want to sell.

·
Registered
17,322 Posts
Anyone bitching because they don't make money selling cars doesn't know how to sell cars. The dealership you work for is important (not the brand the dealership) having the right pay plan and not being afraid to work a bizzilion hours. Oh and you have to be a bit off your rocker a little sick and sadistic as well. Plus you need to like getting your ass chewed because you did things the right way and when you fuck up hah that's when the fun starts. Not to mention working with cut throat mother fuckers who don't give a shit about you. Overall though I enjoy it I get paid exactly what i'm worth month in and month out and I have a blast doing it.

Last piece of advice if you do it start drinking and drinking heavily.

·
Push Me Shove You
5,886 Posts
Find out what makes ur A/C turn on and off and why....You'll never go hungry again....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts