Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now what to do about it.

I yanked the Valve covers & rockers off of my 427 last night & when I was poking around in the springs the rubber seals are pushed all the way up to the top of the springs on the valves. I was able to take a scribe & push them back down most of the way & they slid down quite easy.

my question is why are they all slid up like that & why did they decide to do it now? I suppose I could slide them down again, but I would imagine that they are going to slide back up again & leak (still :roll: ).

Maybe I should just say screw it & swap the heads & hope the other ones dont do this?

are there more than one type of seal or ???? I have another set of heads & I cant even see any seals in it.

thanks
Bob

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
There are different types of valve guide seals and they can be changed without taking the heads off the motor. All you need is a spring removal tool.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. I suppose the real qustion is should I bother? how the heck do I know they are not going to start coming off againg? Or I guess better yet, why are they coming off in the first place? I have made a LOT of runs on this motor & now they are coming off. "all I did" was to change from one 1.7:1 rocker to another 1.7:1 rocker & now this.

I took a REAL hard look @ them yesterday & I dont see any issues. the rockers are sitting on the valve tips right, they are not binding, they are not hitting the retainers. nada-nada-nada. ??????

thanks again

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are different types of valve seals indeed. I just battled this issue infact.

In my situation the seal that was used had a small lip that was catching on the valve as it moved, and in turn was pulling the seal up off its seat just like wat you are saying.

Turns out these heads had the wrong seals for the valves that were used. A quick call to comp and they had me fixed up and a few days later we were back at it. No smoke what so ever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts