Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, I took the car out watching the fauges as it warms up. The temperature usually goes to around 185 then you see the thermostat opens and it drops to 175, then runs 180 for the day. That day I was watching it, it went to 190, 200, 210, 220, 230, then it dropped to 180 and it was fine. So I thought bad thermostat, changed it all good. Took it out for another spin a few months later samething happened. So I pull over shut it off. Check under the hood, the upper rad hose is cold but hard, and the engine seems warm. Jumped back in the car fired it up the gauge starts going back to 180 then I continue to drive it ran 180 all the way to work. So I take it home , I gut the thermostat just put the washer more or less in and it seems ok now. Does it seem like I had 2 bad thermostats>?

Dave

·
T/S 368E
33,585 Posts

Sounds logical. I never use therm in summer, myself.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
iether that or there is air in the system and from stopping starting the water is hoitting the temp probe instead of steam ..it the temp sensor at the top of the manifold ??

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Not to insult you but is it possible that you have it in upside down? That would delay the opening. The other thing to try is, drill a 1/8"-1/4” diameter bleed hole in the thermostat so any trapped air can get by and water is always moving past the spring.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
that was hard to read ...
i meant
there is air trapped in the system and the steam is hitting the temp sensor (witch is hotter than the water ) .giving you a false reading ,and by you stopping or starting the car the water is sloshing around giving false readings ..
sorry reading is fundemental ..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sensor is in the top of the intake. When it gets cold around here , I might try drilling the thermostat as mentioned. Thanks guys for the ideas.

Dave

·
Registered
370 Posts
I take a thermostat and gut it. Remove everything and just use it as a restrictor plate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts