Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running dual electrics on big street motor but considering ditching to thermal clutch fan. Any idea what RPM they are safe for. Water pump is 30 percent overdriven. Fan might see 8400 RPM total.

·
Registered
631 Posts
That is a good question, I hope some chime in with personal lessons. I run a thermal fan clutch on my daily driver V-8 S10 388, turns 6500 quite often horsing round as it has the stock steel rims with 195-14s and 4.11s and a 3000 converter. I have driven it for 10 years and 46 trips at Thunder Valley with a best of 12.90. But I am going to put a solid roller in it this winter, maybe 7500rpm? I have been wondering if the fan clutch would hold that rpm? And you are saying 8400 rpm?? Wow!

·
Registered
17,430 Posts
I'm not sure there is a straight forward answer to that. The clutch on those thermo fans is variable, meaning that depending on several factors, primarily the temperature and age of the clutch, the fan itself will spin at some speed less than the clutch itself. How much slower is the question.

Personally, for a high rpm engine I'm not sure I would use it. I don't know it I would trust the fan to stay together and if it let's loose it will probably screw up several hundred dollars or more of equipment. Plus remember it will probably make a big water leak FAST as you are going down the track at full throttle....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts