Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

....there are collector cars. How many of you are familier with the Bugatti Royale, Type 41? The started production in the late 1920's and finished production in 1931. Total production: Six (6) cars. Amazingly enough, all six cars are still alive and accounted for. Every now and then one of goes on the auction block. In 1990, a Japanese firm purchased one of them for $20-million.

A few specs:

Wheelbase, 169-inches. Weight, 7,500-lbs. Displacement (in-line 8-cylinder), 774.7 cubic inches. Wheel size, 24-inches.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Bugatti Royale has been one of the highest dollar selling cars since the early 70's. George I have the Whiskey bottle Bugatti Royale I bought from Jimmy Brucker. You most likely knew him at one time. He had that little car place in Buena Park! I believe the one for 20 mil. went to the collection at the Imperial Palace in Vegas. Some of those engine back then were master pieces. The 12 cyl. Hispano-Suiza engine was incedible. There were no rod bolts. The caps were dove tailed and dowel pinned together. It had a aluminum block. The head and the cylinder were all one piece. It had a roller cam with roller rockers. Had one big gear that was bolted to the rear of the cam. It ran twin Schintilla Magnetos. One for each bank of the engine. The valve covers, carb and exhaust were porcalinized (spelling) You could get the engine to idle as smooth as a sewing machine down to 450-500 rpm's. There was only 100 Hisso's made with the 12 cylinder. That was used in racing boats and airplanes. The Bugatti was built with the same type of craftsmanship.

·
Photoshop Pisser Offer
3,461 Posts
Bugatti Royale has been one of the highest dollar selling cars since the early 70's. George I have the Whiskey bottle Bugatti Royale I bought from Jimmy Brucker. You most likely knew him at one time. He had that little car place in Buena Park! I believe the one for 20 mil. went to the collection at the Imperial Palace in Vegas. Some of those engine back then were master pieces. The 12 cyl. Hispano-Suiza engine was incedible. There were no rod bolts. The caps were dove tailed and dowel pinned together. It had a aluminum block. The head and the cylinder were all one piece. It had a roller cam with roller rockers. Had one big gear that was bolted to the rear of the cam. It ran twin Schintilla Magnetos. One for each bank of the engine. The valve covers, carb and exhaust were porcalinized (spelling) You could get the engine to idle as smooth as a sewing machine down to 450-500 rpm's. There was only 100 Hisso's made with the 12 cylinder. That was used in racing boats and airplanes. The Bugatti was built with the same type of craftsmanship.

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
wow, great info.. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
How much are one of those worth or selling for? What other rare type of European cars do you have? Didnt Hubley back then make those kits that were metal and you literally built the complete car.

·
Photoshop Pisser Offer
3,461 Posts
Those old 20's & 30's Mobster type cars are really cool. My personal favorite has always been the Duesenberg!
A friend of mine inherited quite a few old cards including a Pierce Arrow and a Duesie from his father when he passed. I can only imagine how much he made on those old cars!

·
Photoshop Pisser Offer
3,461 Posts
How much are one of those worth or selling for? What other rare type of European cars do you have? Didnt Hubley back then make those kits that were metal and you literally built the complete car.
I don't hardly have any left. I think I have a handful of Rio 1923 Rolls Royce model #20 left. All sold very quickly and averaged about $30 a piece if memory serves. When I bought the lot I ended up with about $4.00 in each one.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
A supercharged Duesenberg in the day hauled ass. Have driven several and the power and the way they drove in general was way beyond. One car that really hauled ass in the 30's was the V-12 KB Lincoln Limos. That was the choice of most mobsters because of how fast they were. A V-12 Caddy Roadster was no slow ride either back then. Caddy was also the first car to have a locking steering column. I think 31 was the first year for it. Not 1969 like we want to believe.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
There's a guy here in river city who collects Rolls Royce Silver Shadows. The "ugly duckling" of his collections is a bueatiful Cadallic V-12 roadster.
These guys live in a completely different world than us low lifes.

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
26,375 Posts
That is THE pimp wagon. :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts