Yellow Bullet Forums banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
have an old set of pro action 220s done by Ron's...were supposedly done for a road race 331...I'm going to do a drag combo with them on a 331...tunnel ram and 660s...I can see the head bolt holes are opened up so figured they been angle milled
Mostly, they spot face the stud holes where the head stud washer sets, in other words, square them up, and I suppose they do enlarge the bolt holes. I never gave it much thought. I just bolt them on, so I know the head guy took care of all that. If Ron did yours, they’re ready to go.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
have an old set of pro action 220s done by Ron's...were supposedly done for a road race 331...I'm going to do a drag combo with them on a 331...tunnel ram and 660s...I can see the head bolt holes are opened up so figured they been angle milled
Sweet! What's it going into?

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
no...that's just Grumps...had another one a few years ago I should have kept...this one is a bit of project to get setup for the way I need it...just something to try and bring the fun back like it use to be

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Oh OK, I thought it might be a tribute car. You gonna make it look old school or just whatever gets it on the track in 2020?

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I wont have it ready for next year as slow as I am...really was thinking a USA-1 scheme like Larsons...or something to that effect red,white and blue

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mostly, they spot face the stud holes where the head stud washer sets, in other words, square them up, and I suppose they do enlarge the bolt holes. I never gave it much thought. I just bolt them on, so I know the head guy took care of all that. If Ron did yours, they’re ready to go.
Well Randy, how long has it been ? -- Might have been a year ago, one of the local Yellow Bullet followers sent a text about seeing some compliments from long time back. I appreciate the kind words bud.

Last I talked with you it had to do with tiring of the Asphalt life. A possible race track ownership upcoming.

Just for info, I have continued to hand port & service a narrow customer base. Pretty much totally covered up with vintage race heads from Europe

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Well Randy, how long has it been ? -- Might have been a year ago, one of the local Yellow Bullet followers sent a text about seeing some compliments from long time back. I appreciate the kind words bud.

Last I talked with you it had to do with tiring of the Asphalt life. A possible race track ownership upcoming.

Just for info, I have continued to hand port & service a narrow customer base. Pretty much totally covered up with vintage race heads from Europe
John. Nice to hear from you. Al Parker stated your stuff for me was the best iron stuff he’d seen. One set still doing well in a pulling tractor. We weren’t real good on the clutch, or chassis, but we ran 142 and change in the quarter, and 116 mph in the 1/8th mile. Had some good dyno numbers also. Had I been smarter, we’d of been up front in SS/CS. Sold the Cobalt, and retired.had I known you would have still done a set, I’d of gave it one more try with the bow tie vortecs. I did buy Bethany Mo. dragstrip, and ran it for about 8 years. Sold it 5 years ago. Nice to have you chime in. And again, your stuff was top notch. And like Al Parker, not the cheapest, but the best. Take care. And chime in anytime.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Forgive me if I already asked this somewhere, but how much total timing did you run with those small chambers? Seems like a 50cc chamber should take a little less than a 64cc chamber, IF all the other variables are kept the same... which is probably impossible.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Forgive me if I already asked this somewhere, but how much total timing did you run with those small chambers? Seems like a 50cc chamber should take a little less than a 64cc chamber, IF all the other variables are kept the same... which is probably impossible.
That’s a hard question to answer with just one number. For example, all heads were angle milled down to the max. I had one set of 461X’s that liked 48 degrees, one liked 50. Most 292 heads liked 48. One set of bow ties liked 44 degrees. All others liked 48. The Brodix spec heads all liked 53 degrees. All on either 2.80, 2.85, 2.90, 2.95, and 2.97strokes. Which I think has a lot to do with max timing. Like a Brodix spec headed 322” with a 3.160 stroke liked 44 degrees. And the same combo with the 292 head liked 46. A lot depends on the fuel, and the piston/chamber design. We had several Dart/Buick’s that liked 36 with C-25, and 40 with C-14. I’m doing a 316” street driven engine now that probably wants 40, but I’m doing it for my son-in-law, and I’ll set it at 36. It’s a 10.5 to 1 compression thing, but I have good pistons, and ring pack, and I think he will be fine. I ain’t real experienced with street engines.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Good info. The old small block I had in my Nova was a 0.040" over 350, 10:1 with smoothed out 041X heads cut to 62cc chambers. I always ran pump 93, but I was at Mid Michigan Motrorplex (Stanton) and I needed gas. All they had was 110 octane race gas, so I bought that. I remembered that a Ford friend of mine had said he used to run something like 50° with his small block stuff running race gas back in the 70s. I cranked 48° or 50° in it (can't remember for sure) and I ran my best times ever with that combo. Normally I ran 34-36, but I never really played with timing much - I didn't know as much then as I know now. For the 3 passes I made with my big block, also 10:1 on pump gas with 990 heads (open chamber iron), I ran about 40°, but it probably would have liked more.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts