Yellow Bullet Forums banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I thought of another question I wanted to ask the other day, but I forgot it before I could post it. It'll come back to me eventually...
I think I remembered it! Randy, did you ever CC your ported 292 heads? Jenkins gives a lot of detailed porting info in his book, but he never gives any port volume numbers.

·
Registered
23,503 Posts
I think I remembered it! Randy, did you ever CC your ported 292 heads? Jenkins gives a lot of detailed porting info in his book, but he never gives any port volume numbers.
Yes, and if I remember correctly, I had different sets done by different guys with their own ideas about what the chamber should look like, so about 54 cc’s to 57 cc’s, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
23,503 Posts
What about intake port volume?
On the heads, I tried to keep in the 200cc or smaller size. My best set were done by John Haskell, and were ported, and raised, and the the floor was filled in a bit, along with the sides, and took a 1204 intake gasket. I’m guessing final cc volume in the under 190 cc range. Good air speed.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
took a 1204 intake gasket.
Interesting... but maybe that's because I'm not used to thinking about ~300 cube engines?

What intake(s) did you run, and how much work was done to them?

·
Registered
23,503 Posts
Interesting... but maybe that's because I'm not used to thinking about ~300 cube engines?

We had several intakes we tried. The 300-25 Gene Fulton did for me, the Dart/Wilson that John Haskell did for me, AFR did a Edelbrock, and a Weiand for us, and a Bow tie intake, some done by Ron’s. The 300-25 the Dart/Wilson, and the bow tie were my favorites. As far as our intake runner size, I was pleasantly surprised with the small runner performance. John Haskell was a genius with the small cube stuff. And so was Ron’s.

But, like a true idiot, I decided locally to run a large runner set of heads, raised runner, and intake for said 23 degree Brodix heads from Lingenfelter, and slowed down. Not quite sure of the reason, I tried a brand new 291” with All Pro 23 degree heads for our local track, and it actually built close to 650 hp, but still slower by .1 over our regular 638 hp 291” bow tie small cc stuff. Don’t know the exact reasons, but never tried a large 23 degree head again on the small stuff. We were restricted to 23 degree engines locally for a heads up class.

Now, large cc 23 degree heads worked well on the 355” pulling tractor stuff, so I’d care to guess the air speed is too slow for short stroke engines. Someone on here will have a real reason why it didn’t work, but I ain’t that smart. I just tried shit, and retried shit to see what happens.

·
Registered
23,503 Posts

Also, nothing done externally on any of the intakes. The 300-25 internal runners were all extended, and epoxied in. We tried several different carb spacers also.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
What did you find with the spacers? It seems like I've hardly ever heard of an engine NOT running better with some kind of spacer, but again, I've never messed with anything under 350". Maybe the small motors don't need the extra plenum volume?

·
Registered
23,503 Posts
What did you find with the spacers? It seems like I've hardly ever heard of an engine NOT running better with some kind of spacer, but again, I've never messed with anything under 350". Maybe the small motors don't need the extra plenum volume?
The Wilson tapered spacers, and others were the best. And I always ran a thick as possible gasket, or carved out my own rubber gaskets to absorb some of the harmful harmonics.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
How many runs can you put on a set of aluminum rods before you need to x-ray them? How much more piston to head clearance do you have to run?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yes, and if I remember correctly, I had different sets done by different guys with their own ideas about what the chamber should look like, so about 54 cc’s to 57 cc’s, if I remember correctly.
We were 55 cc's on my dad's Modified Production motors with the 292 casting.

·
Registered
23,503 Posts
How many runs can you put on a set of aluminum rods before you need to x-ray them? How much more piston to head clearance do you have to run?
I’ve had 600 1/8th mile runs on a set of GRP rods, but that’s an exception. Some trade them out after a designated amount of runs. I didn’t. My determining factor was if you could unscrew the rod bolts by hand, after breaking them loose, you’re good. If you had to ratchet them out, toss, and get a new set. I’m sure many on here will disagree with that, but I only ever had one set that gave me trouble in 45 years. And I’ve used every conceivable brand made at one time or another. And 0.045 was my minimum clearance I went with head to piston.

·
Long Live The King
95,613 Posts
I hope Randy can figure out his log-in .....

Looks like he got swiped in the update/upgrade. Dammit

·
Long Live The King
95,613 Posts
Hey Randy,

If you read this... Start a new GMail email account. Link your new Log-In to that account. Start a new Account " Randy WilsonX" use a number, a character, whatever. Just get it done. Thanks.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts