Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Randy Wilson is a cool dude.

Randy, remind me again what class you raced in and what time frame it was?
SS/CS, and SS/DM, from 87, to 2010. Went maybe once or twice a year at most. Ran locally since 71 in pounds per cubic inch classes at Bethany Missouri. Only set one NHRA record at Louisville Kentucky in I think 04, in SS/CS. Steve Thomson was driving for me then, his 87 East Texas Camaro, my engine. Set several IHRA records in that time period in same class. Never was much of a hitter in SS/DM. 5.85 120 in the 1/8th, and I think the record at that time was 5.73. The Buick stuff wasn’t quick enough against the 15 degree heads. My bad. Also ran AHRA with a 64 chevelle in 77. And in 80 with a D/Econo dragster. We were in a Super Chevy Magazine that year, but we were never a real threat. I was just learning back then, and had all the time in the world, but little money. We have ran 116 mph in SS/CS in the 1/8th, and 142 and change in the 1/4. With phase 2 bow ties, clutching ever gear. And 149 and change in SS/DM. That’s about it.
Randy, do you have any pics of your cars and/or engines you'd like to post?
What do you consider your best engine build ever?

·
Registered
27,227 Posts

I’ve got several pictures of my cars, but I’ll be honest, I don’t really know how to post them. We have videos on YouTube with the cobalt at Osceola Indiana, if you google cobalt at Osceola Indiana. And there’s an article on us in Drag Illustrated in I think January 2009, or 2010. We just sold the the cobalt a couple months ago to Ed Carpenter in Austin Texas. He was a hitter in NHRA SS/K before this. Thanks for the ink, but plenty of people more worthy then I.

·
Registered
22,933 Posts

I’ve got several pictures of my cars, but I’ll be honest, I don’t really know how to post them. We have videos on YouTube with the cobalt at Osceola Indiana, if you google cobalt at Osceola Indiana. And there’s an article on us in Drag Illustrated in I think January 2009, or 2010. We just sold the the cobalt a couple months ago to Ed Carpenter in Austin Texas. He was a hitter in NHRA SS/K before this. Thanks for the ink, but plenty of people more worthy then I.
multi- log on's?:-D

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Agree !!

Randy is a cool dude and I also encourage him to post some pics/vids.

·
Registered
27,227 Posts
But are those people on YB, and would they tell me how to build a high-winding SBC?

Haha, no. Multiple log-ons are for trolls, and I don't have time for that.

Still need to answer this one
Best engine build ever? Let me think. It’s one of 3 I’d say. One was the 291” we had. It was a iron bow tie deal that truly ran some speeds in SS/CS that for that head, I don’t know has been equaled to this day. 142.67 at Cordova at 10.5 #’s per inch, with a NHRA legal 750 carburetor, 4 forward gears, clutching every gear, and a cast bow tie intake was one.

Engine 2. Maybe the 289” Brodix spec head that put out 592 hp with the heads unported, Stock Block, and a cast hurricane intake, one 750, clutching every gear, and running 6.29 109 and change in the 1/8th mile, at 10.5 #’s per cid, and setting the local track record at the time.

Engine 3. Maybe the 336” I did for Pat ward to run locally in a class called Modified stock. Flattop pistons, hydraulic flat tappet cam, Stock rods, and crank, steel pan, full exhaust, no headers, 350 turbo, 4.11 gear, dot tires, 3,400#’s, no trans break, 200 cc Dart’s, unported, dual plane, legal 750 carburetor, stamped steel rockers, 7.41 1/8th, which is I think 11.60’s in the 1/4 mile. Never beaten in class locally, and still held the record years after he quit. Some stockers out there could have actually went quicker with that combo, but they’re an elite bunch.

There’s more, in that range, but those stand out.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool. How do you get 289 and 291 inches? Bored 283?
What tricks did you use? Did you ever do anything like no second ring or stuff like that?

·
Registered
27,227 Posts
Cool. How do you get 289 and 291 inches? Bored 283?
What tricks did you use? Did you ever do anything like no second ring or stuff like that?
Everything was on a 4.020, 4.030, or 4.040 bore, and a custom stroke. I did one a couple of years back, with a 3.905 bore, and a 3.16 stroke that surprised me. Limited to .600 lift, a dual plane, and a 6.14 gear with slicks, unported 200 cc darts, and it went 6.96, at 105.45. At 3,300 #’s. But again, I want everyone to know, with that combo, some stocker guys would have been in the mid to low 6’s. They truly are way sharper then me. I’ve witnessed it. And they ain’t sharing.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Been around this small inch stuff most of my life and would really enjoy some time with Randy. If i were in his area, I would probably drive him crazy. I actually ran a 331 ci in Super Comp's early days. 1400 lb car would run 8.30's on a good day. Randy's common sense approach I find quite refreshing.

·
Registered
27,227 Posts
Been around this small inch stuff most of my life and would really enjoy some time with Randy. If i were in his area, I would probably drive him crazy. I actually ran a 331 ci in Super Comp's early days. 1400 lb car would run 8.30's on a good day. Randy's common sense approach I find quite refreshing.
That’s actually very impressive. Depending on the cylinder heads. Our 1,800 pound dragster in 1980, with a 292” and 492 heads, with a flat tappet cam only ran 9.50’s in good air.

·
Registered
27,227 Posts
Also, I have to give a shoutout to Steve Thompson of Leon Iowa. He drove the 291” and the 289” to those numbers. He was special.

·
Registered
27,227 Posts
What clutches and transmissions did you run?
In 76, 77, and 78, we ran a Borg and Beck Hays, I believe, with 3,000# on base, with a rag clutch, with a M-22 Muncie 4 speed. In 82, 83, and 84, we ran a Hays 12 bolt pressure plate with a six pad clutch, and an 18# aluminum flywheel, with 1,800# on the base, with a Doug Nash 4+1. Quite a Cadillac compared to the old M-22 Muncie we were running. We stayed with the Nash, and various long style only pressure plates. ( the best in my opinion)till about 97. Then went to a faceplate GForce. Then went to aluminum hats, all aluminum pressure plates, tried ever conceivable concept in size, weight, pressure, etc. even tried Rob Youngblood’s 9” duel disc setup with the cobalt, and a clutchless G-Force. The G-Force faceplate, clutch and clutchless is the best thing going in my opinion. Now, I think the Liberty with the dual cluster shaft is mandatory for real high horse power engines.

That’s a rough rundown of what we did. We also tried dozens of gear ratios in the trans, and 4 different ratios in the rearend.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you slick shift the Muncie and/or move the countershaft pin up for better gear contact?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
That’s actually very impressive. Depending on the cylinder heads. Our 1,800 pound dragster in 1980, with a 292” and 492 heads, with a flat tappet cam only ran 9.50’s in good air.
It was a long time ago, but I think they were iron "292's". Shifted at 8800. Don't remember much about the cam, but I know it was a Comp. Ran multiple cams through it and the comp ran the best.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts