Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, lets air it out.... Two questions for Gunny. 1, Why is the flag at JFR wrong? 2, I thought if you ulumniated the American Flag at night it was leagle to fly? Also, no disrespect to our Country, the flag or what it stands for, but in my opinion, it's his (JFR) flag, property & family member. In my opinion he has a right,as a UNITED STATES citizen to display it in any manner he feels appropiate. (at this time).

· Wearing my WWII helmet
19,489 Posts
Flag etiquette has been watered down over the years just like patriotism. I completely understand people feeling more of a connection somehow, but I believe some traditions of this great Nation should not be changed. The flag used to be viwed with reverence due to the sacrifices made in order to secure the freedoms we enjoy today. Now it seems that it is ok to be used in any context except in support of the cause of freedom. Ironic.

· Premium Member
102,308 Posts
I think everyone knows where I stand with this.

· Triple xXx
1,928 Posts
She is a member of our armed services. She will never retire or seperate. She will always stand battle with her servicemen and women, and when one falls, she will drape them, and keep them warm. She will present herself to the fallen family in remembrance of their bravery for you to enjoy America's freedom. She will always present herself with pride and dignity. Her colors represent bloodshed for freedom. She is a strong, arrogant woman, and she represents America.

Our customs dictates when one of our soldiers has fallen, that we raise her to the top, then let her come down to half mast. She will then be presented to the family in remembrance.

Make no mistake, it is a good gesture, but don't mistake what she stands for.

Gunny, read this in remembrance of her:

I am the flag of the United States of America.
My name is Old Glory.
I fly atop the world's tallest buildings.
I stand watch in America's halls of justice.
I fly majestically over great institutes of learning.
I stand guard with the greatest military power in the world.
Look up! And see me!
I stand for peace - honor - truth and justice.
I stand for freedom
I am confident - I am arrogant
I am proud.
When I am flown with my fellow banners
My head is a little higher
My colors a little truer.
I bow to no one.
I am recognized all over the world.
I am worshipped - I am saluted - I am respected
I am revered - I am loved, and I am feared.
I have fought every battle of every war for more than 200 years:
Gettysburg, Shilo, Appomatox, San Juan Hill, the trenches of France,
the Argonne Forest, Anzio, Rome, the beaches of Normandy,
the deserts of Africa, the cane fields of the Philippines, the rice paddies andjungles of Guam, Okinawa, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Guadalcanal
New Britain, Peleliu, and many more islands.
And a score of places long forgotten by all but those who were with me.
I was there.
I led my soldiers - I followed them.
I watched over them.
They loved me.
I was on a small hill in Iwo Jima.
I was dirty, battle-worn and tired, but my soldiers cheered me,
and I was proud.
I have been soiled, burned, torn and trampled on the streets of
countries I have helped set free.
It does not hurt, for I am invincible.
I have been soiled, burned, torn and trampled on the streets of
my country, and when it is by those
with whom I have served in battle - it hurts.
But I shall overcome - for I am strong.
I have slipped the bonds of Earth and stand watch over the
uncharted new frontiers of space
from my vantage point on the moon.
I have been a silent witness to all of America's finest hours.
But my finest hour comes when I am torn into strips to
be used for bandages for my wounded comrades on the field of battle,
When I fly at half mast to honor my soldiers,
And when I lie in the trembling arms of a grieving
mother at the graveside of her fallen son.
I am proud.
My name is Old Glory.
Dear God - Long may I wave.

· Wearing my WWII helmet
19,489 Posts
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.
This flew straight out the window long ago

· Wearing my WWII helmet
19,489 Posts
Aliens should stand at attention
Yeah phuckin right! They would rather fly the red, white , and green!

· Premium Member
102,308 Posts
You know I was looking at that photo on the other thread and I was wondering something.

Since Eric passed away yesterday, and I am sure all the transporters are gone, how do we even know that photo was taken today? How do we know that photo isn't from Memorial Day.

Is there any way it can be confirmed? The transporter sitting in the photo just kind of jumped at me now.

· Premium Member
102,308 Posts
Well I am stepping out to watch the movie "Shooter" see you in a few hours.

· The Enemy
22,068 Posts
OK, lets air it out.... Two questions for Gunny. 1, Why is the flag at JFR wrong? 2, I thought if you ulumniated the American Flag at night it was leagle to fly? Also, no disrespect to our Country, the flag or what it stands for, but in my opinion, it's his (JFR) flag, property & family member. In my opinion he has a right,as a UNITED STATES citizen to display it in any manner he feels appropiate. (at this time).
So, you feel that he should be able to fly it upside, down, or with graffiti spray painted on it just because he owns it and feels its appropriate?

· Registered
2,898 Posts
This was the meaning from a statement on the previous thread.

It is only a flag.

I take personal affront to that mind set that has permeated our culture and our nations younger generations. Whether anyone will admit this or not this way of thinking has it's roots in legal decisions that were connected with the ceasing of students learning and saying the Pledge of Alegience in our schools. We used to everyday open with what is called "The Lord's Prayer and the Pledge of Aligience to the Flag of the USA. At times we also sang our country's songs of love of country and patriotic songs. Now many people do not even know the words to *The National Anthem of the United States of America* Some don't even know which one of the patriotic songs is the *National Anthem*. I saw on TV the other night on the Jay Leno when he was asking people on the street, that many think it is "I Am Proud to be an American".

Loyality to country, flag, The Consitution of these United States, Importance of Patriotism was taught by word and by example in the homes and in the schools.

I was an American Patriot before ever going into battle circumstances. The experiences of laying it all on the line and trying to still stay alive in those conditions did teach me to love this country and all of her symbols and her histories even more frevently.

I do have an original US Flag that was made for the US Military by Valley Forge Flag Company that is old, torn and worn from flying high aboard a US military vessel, whipping in the breeze and receiving some damage while in a battle. This is my flag. I cherish her and our memorys we together share. We will not discuss how I managed to bring her home with me.

I watch TV and see on the street College Students, some of them going to be teachers, and even teachers now, that do not know or care learing about our American History. How can a person love this country and not care about knowing or learning about how she came to be and all of the negatives and the positives about her. I sincerely regret that the Black persons throughout all of our history were mostly left out of true American History lessons. I hope that they and all others not Caucasian have now been included in.

I kinda wish I didn't see that because it just dug up alot of memories. Gunny, you may be the only one that knows what I am talking about. too sad of a time right now to explain
No Sir;
I do understand more than you can imagine. I have seen her lowered and had to listen to Taps too many times. Even now in today's world, I can not bear to listen to the playing of Taps. It still tears me up in anguish and hard crying.

Yes Sir; I do understand.

Ed Wilson

· Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, you feel that he should be able to fly it upside, down, or with graffiti spray painted on it just because he owns it and feels its appropriate?
NO! I'm not saying that at all, what I'm saying is that if he (JFR) wants to fly the flag at half staff (at this time) I feel he has the right to do so. (in respect to his family member)

· Wearing my WWII helmet
19,489 Posts
My comments were in reference to mexicans not Italians, I married one so I watch my step!!;)

· Registered
3,772 Posts
What does the Italians have to do with this? I stand at attention even when the National Anthem is played on TV. Excuse me for being ignorant, but I don't understand your comment.
Italian flag is also red white and green ,it was a joke.:rolleyes:

· The Enemy
22,068 Posts
NO! I'm not saying that at all, what I'm saying is that if he (JFR) wants to fly the flag at half staff (at this time) I feel he has the right to do so. (in respect to his family member)
Thats where you are wrong. Just because you bought a flag doesnt mean you can do whatever you want with it. He should be flying a John Force Racing flag at half mast. He may be trying to show respect for the Medlens, however, hes disrespecting many more then hes showing respect for.

Its sad, and John Force Racing lost a member of their family, however, America didnt lose a hero. Therefore, he should be flying the JFR flag at half staff.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.