Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks, since the recent severe rollover accident this weekend with Daddy Dave, I've received a lot of calls from people asking me if the carbon fiber seat in Daddy Dave's Nova is one of ours and how or if it contributed to his injuries.

First off, I'd like to wish Dave the best, and a speedy recovery from his injuries. I have never met or spoken to Dave, nor do I have any sort of relationship with him personally or professionally. I have no agenda here, other than to clear the air about my product.

The carbon fiber seat that was in Daddy Dave's car at the time of his rollover accident was NOT an Ultra-Carbon seat. I can't speak with certainty to what the failure may or may not have been with regard to the seat being loose in the car after the accident, so I just won't say anything or offer any speculation publicly. Obviously something failed there, whether it be bolts, tabs, welds, or the seat structure itself, something went catastrophically wrong. Even in the case of a rollover accident, the place where you plant your butt should always be secure and safe. We all saw the video of the seat loose in the car and the shoulder harness tab ripped off the cage. Whether that was a cause of the seat becoming loose or an affect of the seat being loose, I can't say. All I'll say is that it should never happen, and was surely a contributing factor in the severity of the injuries sustained from the crash.

As far as the safety of a well constructed, properly installed carbon fiber seat goes, I believe they can be every bit as safe as your standard Kirkey aluminum seat. Are there safer seats out there? Absolutely. Full containment style NASCAR and road racing style seats can be safer. But for the record, I believe our seats to be just as safe or safer than any other seats made specifically for drag racing without a frame around the seat.

We've had several customers crash while using our seats, including John Sullivan in his ProMod and Brian McGee barrel rolling in his Mustang, both accidents at a much higher speed than what Daddy Dave experienced. The damage sustained to Brian's car was also more severe than what happen to Dave's car (based solely on the pics I've seen), yet Brian was able to walk away from the accident unharmed. Credit for mounting the seat and other safety precautions that helped Brian to walk away go to Jay and Bob at NRC Motorsports in Aiken, South Carolina. As with every seat of ours that has been in a vehicle that has crashed on track, I am pleased to say that each and every time, the driver walked away from the accident unharmed and is still using our seat in their rebuild and/or new car.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, the recent accident with Big Chief....not my seat. The seat he was sitting in broke, and was made with a fiberglass core. Our seats ARE NOT MADE WITH A FIBERGLASS CORE!!! Someone is going to get killed or paralyzed as a result of sitting in one of these fake carbon seats.

See the fiberglass poking through the cracks in this seat? Not fucking cool.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Damn.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
79,677 Posts
LUCKY....THAT COULD HAVE BEEN A REALLY BAD DEAL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.