Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
lets see some of the real 70s. not music. i remember no gas, no jobs, junk cars, boys come home from war, long hair, platform shoes, bell bottom jeans, tie die shirts, and the army. drive in movies,. parking, streeking

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Cowboys and Steelers super bowls, Chips, Emergency, shitty disco music, crappy special effect movies, Jimmy Carter, the second worst president behind Obama,.

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
Lots of "soft" rock like James Taylor, Flying Burrito Brothers, David Essex, etc; and lots of progressive rock such as Genesis, Yes, ELP; I'd even toss early Rush in that description. Straight-up rock was more or less MIA for a few years until the next generation like Aerosmith, Boston, Styx entered the scene around 1975.

Lemme see....Jim Jones and his Kool-Aid; Pol Pot in Cambodia; Gerald Ford and the assassination attempts; Watergate; Spiro Agnew; the Energy Crisis; the first wide acceptance by the public of emphasis on air, water, and land pollution; the Love Canal; the Bicentennial; the House Select Committee on Assassinations; Nelson Rockefeller; Attica...

·
Registered
21,552 Posts
........... the Energy Crisis...
In that very car above, I added a Johnson Evinrude 5 gal outboard tank in the trunk, with an electric pump to dump it into the main tank. There was more than once, I pulled into some San Diego gas station, with BOTH pumps rattling. The God Dam station operators would LEAVE THE SIGNS TURNED ON and close up with no gas. You'd be down on the freeway "lookin'' and see a nice big Shell / Chevron / etc sign goin' round, get off the freeway and the damn thing would be CLOSED

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
I remember my dad, furious, because gas had jumped to 59 9/10 per gallon. The 427 in his daily got swapped back to the 289.

Around here the gas stations did some sort of alternate days thing. I think it was license plate related...evens got gas MWF, odds on T-Th-Sat, or something.

·
Registered
21,552 Posts
I think it was Crower? cams? in San Diego? offered a conversion kit to convert a V8 to a 4 whanger. You yanked out 1/2 the pistons, and put bob weights on the crank. I decided a 220 cid 440 was not what I "needed."

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I remember my dad, furious, because gas had jumped to 59 9/10 per gallon. The 427 in his daily got swapped back to the 289.

Around here the gas stations did some sort of alternate days thing. I think it was license plate related...evens got gas MWF, odds on T-Th-Sat, or something.
I was in the AF 77-81 and that shit happened in Ca. We were up above Sacramento and several of us went to LA one weekend. Friends I was with were all from there and they wanted to come back up the pacific coast highway just to let me check it out. We were in a vw bug and pulled into Oakland about 12:15 am needing gas. Guy told us sorry, you have an even # on your plate and today is an odd day. We begged long enough and he finally let us buy $3 worth. Just enough to get us back to base.

·
Registered
21,552 Posts
We begged long enough and he finally let us buy $3 worth. Just enough to get us back to base.
I damn near got into a fist fight somewhere up in Oregon. I was on leave to bury my younger brother. Some guy fed me that odd /even shit, and I told him, "hey, I'm on leave, and HAVE to be back to San Diego, or I'm AWOL, now you give me gas or............."

I don't remember, I think I finally got 10 gal. out of him. Drove around that town a bit and found another station, told the guy I was on leave and he topped it off no problem.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I damn near got into a fist fight somewhere up in Oregon. I was on leave to bury my younger brother. Some guy fed me that odd /even shit, and I told him, "hey, I'm on leave, and HAVE to be back to San Diego, or I'm AWOL, now you give me gas or............."

I don't remember, I think I finally got 10 gal. out of him. Drove around that town a bit and found another station, told the guy I was on leave and he topped it off no problem.
They were kind of hardassed about it for awhile. I can remember long ass.lines on base.

·
Board certified
19,638 Posts
About 1972. V code 70 Road Runner. U.S. Navy E-5

Had the same car, post 1970 Road Runner...bronze colored. Had to move from Florida back to Michigan in 1973..... Poor Road Runner, had 383, 4.10 gears and hooked up a 12 foot U Haul to it fully loaded........took 3 days to get back......5 damn gallons at a time was all I could get at stations....pulled the damn guts right out of it on the way back....had to rebuild it when I got back.... Gas crisis sucked big big big time.......

1 - 20 of 49 Posts