Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
Well you are wrong. Been said here many times. Take the driveshaft out of the car and hide it. The pinion in reference to the crank/ transmission shaft centerline is what you want. They need to be paralllel under power. The end.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is true, the rear end rises under load, not sure what I said wrong. Either way, that is why i said it is my opinion, and works for me.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Well you are wrong. Been said here many times. Take the driveshaft out of the car and hide it. The pinion in reference to the crank/ transmission shaft centerline is what you want. They need to be paralllel under power. The end.
X1000

As soon as I see someone measuring the driveshaft angle relative to ANYTHING, I know it's going to be bad advice relative to setting pinion angle.

It's pinion angle VS transmission output shaft angle. Transmission output shaft angle is also the same as the engine crankshaft/front damper angle.

Period, end of story. No way easier to show/understand why then to watch this video.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Always give the same answer. Take the shaft and hide it until done. THE BEST ADVISE that I got when building my own tube chassis.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yep. That video is wrong. All that is being measured is the rear operating angle. The operating angle is not the same as what is commonly called pinion angle. Leave the driveshaft out of it unless you want to make sure you don't have excessive operating angle like one might find in a lifted truck.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Another incorrect example of pinion angle. The one thing done right was having the car on boxes. He did get the pinion yoke in the right position also.
I'm just glad I didn't have to watch the previous 30 episodes.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Another incorrect example of pinion angle. The one thing done right was having the car on boxes. He did get the pinion yoke in the right position also.
I'm just glad I didn't have to watch the previous 30 episodes.
You can measure/set the pinion angle with just the rear end in the air. As long as the suspension of the car, primarily the rear end, is close to the "normal" loaded position, the pinion angle won't change significantly.

·
Registered
208 Posts
All. I Can say is google it. Race craft, smith race craft Jeffers chassis, Bickel chassis, and the hurndreds of other pro chassis builders are all wrong. And 3 guys on a furom are right. Lol. Never know thuo lmfao. Temp you are right,that's way we set it in the first place.

·
Registered
208 Posts
To add to it. It's a guess of what angle we need. Leaf spring car needs more then a ladder bar car which needs more then a 4link car All do to wrap up on the axle. We try to get the pinion as straight with the drive shaft as possible on accel.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
All. I Can say is google it. Race craft, smith race craft Jeffers chassis, Bickel chassis, and the hurndreds of other pro chassis builders are all wrong. And 3 guys on a furom are right. Lol. Never know thuo lmfao. Temp you are right,that's way we set it in the first place.
Well, I have a driveshaft set up the right way - pinion shaft vs drive train angle. 10 years, 1100 runs and over 20,000 miles. Still have the original u-joints installed on the driveshaft even though I have enough power to break pinion and transmission output shafts.

I'm not really concerned who you THINK says that is the wrong or does it different. As an engineer, my technical background is solid as is my real world experience.

·
Registered
20,704 Posts

So I guess Spicer/ Dana, the guys who not quite but certainly are at the base of the use of Hookes joints are the ones who have it wrong? Don't think so

https://spicerparts.com/videos/driveline-vibrations-and-theory-of-non-uniform-velocity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=75&v=jaaTyL099RA

Where in hell do you think the term "constant velocity" joint came from? They must be thought of "in pairs"

·
Registered
208 Posts
Top fun cool beans. Glade yo u joints are fine. I Been doing it the right way the same way as all the pros for 40 yrs and have put 2000hp+ through drive shafts for many yrs without a failure. 100s of thousand of mile.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts