Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 664 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
A pair of 255s will support 1800hp with EFI? Even if they did, by the time you bought 255s, fittings, and y-blocks you would be in it for more than the price of the Holley. I think that the noise has a lot to do with base pressure. A carb set up with 7psi will be a lot quieter than EFI at over 40psi.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I am in need of a new pump, and have been looking at these, but why are the gallons per hour so low compared to other pumps that support much less HP? For example: the standard Holley Black pump flows 140 GPH wide open (14 psi) and the Holley 12-400 Dominator only flows 155 GPH at 8 psi, but supports 1830 horsepower. Other brands that claim flow of 260-300 GPH are only listed for roughly 900-1000 horsepower. What am I missing?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Used that pump when I had my motor on the engine dyno and it would not keep up above 1100 hp @ base press of 45 psi and 65 psi.
Pump is very quite comparied to a A1000 and it is nice to be able to stage the pumps seperatly.

this was on race fuel

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
158mph @ 3550# on 21# boost EFI E85 car has been [email protected] 30 times and no matter what we've tried wont run 160. Run it through several calculators you'll come up with 1050-1100 Hp at flywheel. Much quieter than a1000 or Magnafuel. I've ran it dry twice causing 0 damage. Adding a second because I just can't see spending the money and the trouble to switch to a mechanical

·
Registered
499 Posts
Very good pump, we put ours in the tank. You don't need a step down box for street use, have been 4.65 1/8, 7.30 1/4, EFI NOS car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's not very quiet in my car compared to the A1000's. I am going to try and use some isolators and see if that improves the noise.
Sounds like you may have an "odd" one... The one we have on my friends Mustang is actually just as quiet as the factory in-tank pump and quieter than the Borg-Warner replacement pump in my 97 Suburban.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Have one on my truck with over 2000 miles(blow thru carb)Wired the pumps to come on together. Switching to holley efi and e85.

Very quiet, can't even hear it running sometimes!

Great pump.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Got me thinking of taking my aeromotive belt drive off..
I don't understand? The obvious main benefit to these is cost. If you already have the superior (and more expensive) setup, why take it off just to have electric pumps?

·
Registered
348 Posts
A pair of 255s will support 1800hp with EFI? Even if they did, by the time you bought 255s, fittings, and y-blocks you would be in it for more than the price of the Holley. I think that the noise has a lot to do with base pressure. A carb set up with 7psi will be a lot quieter than EFI at over 40psi.
No, but anecdotal evidence shows it actually supports more like 1100hp, or about the same as a pair of 255's.

I would still buy it over a pair of 255's, because as you mentioned by the time you buy all the support pieces, you would be close to as much money, and this comes in a better looking package that for most vehicles be easier to mount than two separate pumps.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I don't understand? The obvious main benefit to these is cost. If you already have the superior (and more expensive) setup, why take it off just to have electric pumps?
Tight spot right now.. It works.. I was gonna do cable drive.. But read a lot of broken cables and finding a grant mccrary is hard to search for

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
It is strange that Fastcat says 1100 on gas and TurboBu says 1050-1100 on E85? The 12-1400 should make 1100 on gas.
I've absolutely ran 159 multiple times at 3550# call it whatever hp you'd like. I don't think you are going to buy one from a retailer for $257 today. but still much less expensive than Magnafuel. I would no take a belt or cable drive off. I would consider supplementing a belt drive with electric and remove the belt for long drives.

21 - 40 of 664 Posts