Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have searched a couple things as far as ‘BOSS 6.2L’ and ‘ford 6.2’ and stuff like that with not a lot of luck. I know a lot of people don’t build these engines. But I wanna know why. They seem to be solid platforms. As far as it’s a 9.4xx deck height. It’s a 4.5xx deck height. The heads fully ported and all will flow 400cfm on the intake. And Iv even seen one that was a stroker at 460” make 850hp at 8500rpms or somthing like that. They seem to be very solid foundations but no-one builds them. The searching on google Iv some people are saying it’s the lack of intake choices? But at the same time they will buy a 3500$ Hogan’s sheet metal for there turbo SBF mofor. So why not spend 3500$ for a strretmetal for a 6.2L ford motor. I also saw they use a typical aftermarket LS 6.200 rod. And that Manley has 2 shelf pistons for the 6.2 block that take LS size pins to work with the LS rods. Seems like a decent recipe for a very nice, 4.5 bore space, tall deck ‘small block’. With some very nice 400cfm heads. I even saw Sam Vincent comment on a post saying he would like to do a twin carb sheet metal intake for one and spray one real hard. But that thread was from like 2012 or somthing like that. So has any new info come about? Any people done anything with one recently? I have plenty of 6.2L raptor motors for sale around me for 2000$. So looking for as much info as I can.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
My brother has 3 cores and we were looking at this to replace his 351c platform, however, there are a few issues that arise when building these...
1. No aftermarket intake manifolds, only custom adapters, superchargers or sheetmetal
2. Limited cam core availability
3. Stock cranks are cast limiting potential power

These things are not hard to overcome but trying make big power raises the cost much more than just going with a SBF, Mod or Coyote.
Plus these things are big. When we measured mine vs his cores they were Wide as a coyote and I think 3-4 inches longer w/o accessories.
In the end we just didnt think it's worth it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solid info. I have somewhat read these issues. I would probably use a sheet metal intake, however I saw someone use a c3 intake I believe with adapters.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
My brother has 3 cores and we were looking at this to replace his 351c platform, however, there are a few issues that arise when building these...
1. No aftermarket intake manifolds, only custom adapters, superchargers or sheetmetal
2. Limited cam core availability
3. Stock cranks are cast limiting potential power

These things are not hard to overcome but trying make big power raises the cost much more than just going with a SBF, Mod or Coyote.
Plus these things are big. When we measured mine vs his cores they were Wide as a coyote and I think 3-4 inches longer w/o accessories.
In the end we just didnt think it's worth it.

I looked into a 6.2L build a couple of years ago and came to the same conclusions. For me I went with a Coyote. Better crank, intakes and cams galore. The Coyote can be built to make the same power (and probably more depending on how wild you went with the 6.2L) and since most everything is off the shelf the final costs is probably less too.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Solid info. I have somewhat read these issues. I would probably use a sheet metal intake, however I saw someone use a c3 intake I believe with adapters.
Yeah that build is on here. Car was in Arizona I believe. My brother called Wilson about making another set of those adapters... They quoted like $2500 just for the adapters.
I think if you get hold of a decent JY engine and just slap a whipple on it you could make decent power but again a JY Gen2 coyote truck motor with a whipple can make 800+rwhp for the less money.
If someone invested in creating a market then the 6.2 could be a great platform. But just making fifty cast intakes would be a $10-20k investment including CAD/3D work being developed.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Ford made a slightly different cam for the Raptor version, but really offered ZERO support for the platform. Compare that with anything from Chevrolet and manufacturers are tripping all over themselves to offer anything and everything.

Ford generally makes excellent stuff and as an example how many aftermarket intake manifolds can make more HP and torque than a Ford Racing intake???

Too bad they never supported the 6.2.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I looked into this and the #1 problem and in my opinion the only real problem was the crank. I talked to Winberg, they will make you a billet crank but it will cost you $8000. So I killed the idea right there because I wanted something for forced induction and didn't want to build an N/A motor. I was thinking later that maybe a big block crank might work but never looked into it further. I have one in my 2011 f250 that's where my idea came from.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Livernoise has a few options as far as built short blocks. And they even have a nice crank for these 6.2’s. Hell even MMR sells a rod and piston set from Manley that are made for these. But as far as guys saying ‘I want a better crank’ how do you know you NEED a better crank? Just because it’s cast? LS guys use just cast cranks over 1300HP. Has anyone broke a factory 6.2 crank? The Manley rod/piston set is 1700$ out the door. Just curious if anyone has ported the heads, used nice rods and pistons. And out 20+psi to one of these. I would not be against having an intake built or building a sheet metal intake myself. Local machine shot can mill out the plates to bolt to the heads as the foundation, and I could build the runners out of sheet metal, and build a decent box style top for it. Possibly. All right welded of course. I just think there isn’t enough support. however I think a 9.4 tall deck, 4.5 bore space motor with heads that fully ported can flow 400cfm and it can get close to 500ci is a recipe people would die for in the small block boosted world.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
The new 7.3L(445cuin) truck engine may be your salvation!! Hopefully Ford will offer some performance parts/options and hopefully the aftermarket will see its potential and embrace it like it is a Chevy offering.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do we know anything at all as far as what the bore space and deck height and all will be on the new 7.3L? I really like all the measurements and stuff on the 6.2L. I just think nobody has put rods and pistons in one, with a nice intake, and put 20 psi on top of it. I think once someone does that they will get more popular. I mean fully ported heads will flow around 400cfm. That’s more than a basic SBF highport or 11R Head. And people make ungodly power with both of those. And these 6.2L heads are canted valve and everything. I literally can’t think of one thing wrong with the basic architecture. Just that it may have a soft rotating assembly

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Do we know anything at all as far as what the bore space and deck height and all will be on the new 7.3L? I really like all the measurements and stuff on the 6.2L. I just think nobody has put rods and pistons in one, with a nice intake, and put 20 psi on top of it. I think once someone does that they will get more popular. I mean fully ported heads will flow around 400cfm. That’s more than a basic SBF highport or 11R Head. And people make ungodly power with both of those. And these 6.2L heads are canted valve and everything. I literally can’t think of one thing wrong with the basic architecture. Just that it may have a soft rotating assembly

I can't see too much wrong with the platform either, its just easier and cheaper to start with the proven Coyote motor.

On the crank side, yes it may work, but not too many people are going to risk aftermarket pistons, rods and ported heads to test the theory. No one wants to be the first guy to kill one in the name of limit testing. Not when there are other options.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The new 7.3L(445cuin) truck engine may be your salvation!! Hopefully Ford will offer some performance parts/options and hopefully the aftermarket will see its potential and embrace it like it is a Chevy offering.
I am hoping so too. If they can follow the proven path of the LS by offering a good block, good crank and good heads that can be great with some porting then they will have a winner. Pistons, rods, camshaft and go.....

The only thing that has me worried is this variable displacement remote driven oil pump design. Maybe it will be great, but it sounds complicated.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I am hoping so too. If they can follow the proven path of the LS by offering a good block, good crank and good heads that can be great with some porting then they will have a winner. Pistons, rods, camshaft and go.....

The only thing that has me worried is this variable displacement remote driven oil pump design. Maybe it will be great, but it sounds complicated.

The guy at Ford that designed the heads on the GT350 engine was the lead engineer on the 7.3L head design. There are quite a few articles on the new engine floating around the interwebs. Several of which give pretty good details and cutaway drawings. Hopefully all this means something good for us.

As far as a billet crank for the 6.2L there are other very capable sources at probably a third of the price stated above. I had Crower machine a 100% custom CCW crank for me a couple years ago and it was no more than any other billet crank. Hell that's what billet cranks are all about, getting a crank for an engine there is no forgings availability. Chips are chips who cares what the dimensions are if it comes from the same size piece of material. Crower offers chromoly as well as EN30B which is what many of the Bryant cranks are made from. It is easy to recognize as it is a different color than chromoly. It has more of a gold-ish bronze color especially in its final heat treated form.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Raptor forums have plenty of guys boosting them but those guys don't usually get into the bottom end too often. Livernois did a twin turbo raptor that made like 800-900rwhp in the 4WD truck I think.
Not sure what the specs are on Livernois crank but they have a 400cid rotating assembly. Also Roush built an all out N/A motor for an off road truck that was 460id and made 800+ hp on the engine dyno. There's a YouTube video on both.
Not sure that anyone ever got 400cfm out of those 6.2 heads. Best I heard was 350cfm or so from Fox Lake. They flow right at 300cfm from the factory...basically the same or less than a Gen2 Coyote head.
If you are going to pursue it and looking for some engine cores or parts I know where you can get a great deal on some.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Basically I have a new edge mustang. All UPR stuff front to back. Cage. 35 splines. Spool. Whole 9 yards. And the typical rod and piston LS has crossed my mind. A coyote has crossed my mind. A typical NIIIICE SBF has as well. Possibly a built 2v mod motor. Just looking at all options. And this seems like somthing nobody has done. And I feel it’s a solid platform that nobody has explored. But once somebody does, it will just burn and spread like fire and everybody will be in the pull-a-part looking for 6.2L cores.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Asked Steve @ RED about a re sleeving a 6.2 block. Different casting from the big bore block roush did. Besides that the crank from Livernois is $$$$.00 add $$$$.00 for rods and pistons. Good engine but not really as well. The roush engine is not the same 6.2 basic in form but not in the bores. 6.2 won't or canNot be made into a 460. Also don't forget the bullshit rocker arm setup. Solid roller cam...think not with the heads as is.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Livernoise already did a 460” build. And many of the ‘popular’ or ‘famous’ mod motor guys have already said it can get close to 500”. And the rods and pistons are only 1600-1700$cash money shipped to your door. Which is the same as LS set up or SBF set up, or coyote set up. So not a lot of money difference at that point

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Basically I have a new edge mustang. All UPR stuff front to back. Cage. 35 splines. Spool. Whole 9 yards. And the typical rod and piston LS has crossed my mind. A coyote has crossed my mind. A typical NIIIICE SBF has as well. Possibly a built 2v mod motor. Just looking at all options. And this seems like somthing nobody has done. And I feel it’s a solid platform that nobody has explored. But once somebody does, it will just burn and spread like fire and everybody will be in the pull-a-part looking for 6.2L cores.
I agree. My brother an I have talked many times about how to create the market for these engines. IMO it all starts with the intake manifold. Gotta have an affordable option besides the crappy truck manifold (it drops power after 5k sharply), whipple and custom sheet metal stuff. Can't worry about breaking a crankshaft if the intake limits power and not everyone can drop $7k for a whipple or $3k for a custom intake.

Lots of engine management systems that will run the 6.2 so that's easy and I'd lock the VCT. Not much to gain on a SOHC engine and more complex/potential problems.
The rocker setup isn't bad and livernois has billet supports for them anyway. No need for solid lash adjusters. Hydraulic is more than fine for most modern OHC builds.
I think this platform would scream at 420cid or so.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Can u show me the Livernois build. I asked Steve this about 4 yrs ago about a resleeve. Sounds like fake news...I maybe wrong but....here you go from Livernois and a email sent from a guy.

Quote:

I'm a little far away to make it up there but I emailed Rick @Livernois and got some info. FYI 427ci isn't possible out of the production block. Roush made a different block to build the 777 motor. Rick is a member on another forum and they are posting progress on a twin turbo 400ci with all the bells and whistles. He said the connecting rods alone cost almost $5k. Lets hope that the production stroker kit won't cost that much all together. This is their first stroker and had custom rods made. I'm sure they will make over or close to 1000hp on that build. Good thing the new 5.0's have the 6r80 tranny so beefier parts are going to come out faster. Guys are already in the high 9's/low 10's with the stock auto. Pretty amazing tranny but with heavy tires and over 800lb's of torque I would guess that they are going to test the limits.
https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP750129

Roush built the only 460.. maybe I'm wrong but don't think so.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
If 460 was available with the 6.2 I'd have a block in my garage. Waiting on the new 7.0 block & cost at my dealership: Tommy Vaugh Ford. Purchased 3 new SUV's 2 of which were cash over the yrs. Will be notified when released thru the Tommy V racing parts Dept.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts