Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long are they good for?? I have a 3300lb malibu and I'm not hitting the car car hard yet and I broke the ring and pinion after 30 passes.
I have aftermarket caps,rear cover,welded tubes,spool etc,etc.
Some say that I have to stay on top of the 12 bolt others say put a 9" in. Car is already heavy. The cars best 60 so far is a 1.35.
What's anyone's take on this??

·
Registered
111 Posts
i had a the same problem with my camaro. broke the gm rear
about evey 30-40 passes. i went to a 9" with a nodular case and
have had no more problems. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
MY BROS TUBED 70 CAMARO GOES 1.26 60' AT 3400 LBS .GEAR LIVES 150-200 PASSES. WE SET BACKLASH TIGHT SEAMED TO HELP. TA REAR COVER

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much heavier is the Nodular case over the Aluminum case?? Is it worth the extra cost??
And I thought I had the lash pretty tight. I guess it wasn't tight enough.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I usually set a 12 bolt up at around .002 back lash..

My Challenger had a 12 Bolt.. car weighed 2550lbs and ran 8.80's with a 15x33 tire 1.22 60's only broke 1 ring and pinion in 5 years

·
Registered
955 Posts
How long are they good for?? I have a 3300lb malibu and I'm not hitting the car car hard yet and I broke the ring and pinion after 30 passes.
Some say that I have to stay on top of the 12 bolt others say put a 9" in. Car is already heavy. The cars best 60 so far is a 1.35.
I run a GM 12 bolt with Moser 33 spline axles, Moser spool, Richmond Pro gears, LPW cover, 2 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil.

MY ride is heavier than yours and my 60 foots quicker and I get 200 passes minimum on my R&P!

If you're breaking gear sets after 30 passes, you need to find someone else to set up your rear cause whoever is doing it now don't know what they're doing!

·
Registered
296 Posts
i used to break the gearset in my 12 bolt alot, switched to a pro gear and never looked back. low nines 3650#

·
Registered
274 Posts
not to highjak but does any one make 3.55 ,3.42 pro gears for it?
just busted my set today went 1.26 @ 3700# easing into -it,
thanks Mike

·
Registered
439 Posts
I run my factory 12 bolt w/ 33 spline Strange spool,axles and yoke. I also use an LPW cover and 4.11 Pro Gears.

At 3350 lbs, I run 1.28 60's and have not had problems.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Would i get many more runs with pro-gears?,say go to there lowest set 4.10 ,3.90 then go gear-vender for top end charge?
cya Mike

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I ran 7.70's @2900 with a blown sbc and lenco my 12 bolt had moly axle tubes custom front brace billet caps and heavy duty rear cover ran a pro gear never broke one

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I know many here local - 3400lb'rs with 950 plus HP 555ci's running street gears on 12bolt rears .... no problems at all - going 9.20's at near 150mph... I think it's the quality setup that makes the difference. A pro gear isn't bad insurance though... Keep it all Chevy! ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I know many here local - 3400lb'rs with 950 plus HP 555ci's running street gears on 12bolt rears .... no problems at all - going 9.20's at near 150mph... I think it's the quality setup that makes the difference. A pro gear isn't bad insurance though... Keep it all Chevy! ;)
i had no problems @ that level but the torqu this procharged system is now making is really taxing it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
cya Mike

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I that Lebanon in your avitar?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts