Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contacted last month by Larry Quinn who runs Nostalagia Super Stock. For those that may not know the car:

http://www.nostalgiasuperstock.com/Meet Our Members.htm

He was in need of some lifters and was referred to me. In talking with him he expressed he need some more out of the combo. We went over the combination and and the induction system. I felt that the cam needed to be smaller on intake and larger on exhaust and told him this. He was willing to try this so I told him how I wanted the lash.

He took the car to Cordova Dragway a couple of weeks after and ran the car with the lash. He picked up .13ths in the 1/8", .1th in the 1/4 and 1.5mph in both.

The car is a Jerry Haas built chassis with all the "cool toys".

·
I like IceCream
11,026 Posts
:) I guarantee you we will be reading this again...sometime in the future. :)

·
Horsepower and Hops
4,576 Posts
I'm sure the shit storm will start soon. Before it does, I want to say that I am a firm believer in this and the other lash story from TC. The other thread was very informational and I appreciate you sharing it and getting down to the specifics even though some have tried to shoot it down. You are a mad scientist of cam dynamics, and the proof is in the horsepower pudding. These engines are very sensitive to changes, and whittling away at them is what seperates the parts installers from the engine builders. Keep up the good work Chris.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So whats the story and what was the lash ?
With this one we were running out of Intake port. Flow, CSA were not enough to feed this engine to where he wanted to spin it. So we tightened the intake to .008" from a normal of .018". We tightened the exhaust .004".

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I dont think anyone dissagree's with lash looping to find what a engine wants. Its when guy cut and paste it in every thread and uses the .00000001 numbers its taken out of cstraubs context.

·
Friendly Shit Stirrer
17,285 Posts
I was contacted last month by Larry Quinn who runs Nostalagia Super Stock. For those that may not know the car:

http://www.nostalgiasuperstock.com/Meet Our Members.htm

He was in need of some lifters and was referred to me. In talking with him he expressed he need some more out of the combo. We went over the combination and and the induction system. I felt that the cam needed to be smaller on intake and larger on exhaust and told him this. He was willing to try this so I told him how I wanted the lash.

He took the car to Cordova Dragway a couple of weeks after and ran the car with the lash. He picked up .13ths in the 1/8", .1th in the 1/4 and 1.5mph in both.

The car is a Jerry Haas built chassis with all the "cool toys".

Is that the one with the .842 lifters?:-D

·
Super Moderator
35,350 Posts
Chris is there something more to this thread?

Right now all I'm seeing is "I told a guy to do something with his cam and he picked up .13 in the 1/8th and .1 in the quarter".... and others are indicating that there is more to this story....

Can we elaborate on this thread to make it more useful??

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris is there something more to this thread?

Right now all I'm seeing is "I told a guy to do something with his cam and he picked up .13 in the 1/8th and .1 in the quarter".... and others are indicating that there is more to this story....

Can we elaborate on this thread to make it more useful??
Chris,
I have had some bantering from a few over the last couple of months. Bottom line I just want to sell cams and my advice is not free. Although I enjoy the cam aspect of the industry it is but a small part of where my income is generated. For many years now I have helped people out with free advice guiding them in the right direction. If they choose then to spend money with me that is fine but as you know being in this industry there is alot of bad information.

The last thread where I helped Ironhorse427 got some people thinking and since I have had PM's and emails with questions on cams. Back in 1991 John Reed told me that lash was your number one tuning tool. It surprizes me how many over look this process and how it can be such a good tool to diagnose an engine. The last thread some felt the car was to out of wack and that the lash could not attribute that much. Well this car has had nothing but the best thrown at it from Chassis, to tranny, to engine and should not be far from max tune.

·
Super Moderator
35,350 Posts
Those are great points Chris...

It's hard being a cam 'designer'... most racers out there feel it does not warrant money to obtain a cam design. Furthermore, even if many do agree that it should be a paid service, they won't want to pay for the knowledge.

I have had several people ask me to help design their nitrous cam's for instance. I feel that I can't give that information to them in an honest fashion unless I was to charge a significant amount... Why would I just hand out a design for a few bucks, that I have slowly honed in on through time and error?

Just can't do it. If I had to put a price on a cam design it would be several hundred dollars for it to be worth my time. Or, I could just give them something short of what it should be and that doesn't seem honest.

I just prefer not to do it. My cams are for my engines.

Just not an easy source of income. considering a guy can call a cam 'grinder' and get something that will satisfy them... for free.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
i am tightening mine up for this friday...it will be the only change from last friday to see if it will pick up..i hope for 1 tenth...mine were .022cold and car calls for .014 and .016 hot....i am setting them at .010 and .012 this go round.
i know the cam is a little small,its built for a long life...do you think it might pick up that much?9.1comp 605bbc with 360cc heads.

not asking for free advice though,just an opinion.i bet cam design takes a ton of r&d and time.

·
I like IceCream
11,026 Posts
i am tightening mine up for this friday...it will be the only change from last friday to see if it will pick up..i hope for 1 tenth...mine were .022cold and car calls for .014 and .016 hot....i am setting them at .010 and .012 this go round.
i know the cam is a little small,its built for a long life...do you think it might pick up that much?9.1comp 605bbc with 360cc heads.

not asking for free advice though,just an opinion.i bet cam design takes a ton of r&d and time.
Don't forget to index the needle and seat!!!:-Yap

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chris,
I have had some bantering from a few over the last couple of months. Bottom line I just want to sell cams and my advice is not free. Although I enjoy the cam aspect of the industry it is but a small part of where my income is generated. For many years now I have helped people out with free advice guiding them in the right direction. If they choose then to spend money with me that is fine but as you know being in this industry there is alot of bad information.

The last thread where I helped Ironhorse427 got some people thinking and since I have had PM's and emails with questions on cams. Back in 1991 John Reed told me that lash was your number one tuning tool. It surprizes me how many over look this process and how it can be such a good tool to diagnose an engine. The last thread some felt the car was to out of wack and that the lash could not attribute that much. Well this car has had nothing but the best thrown at it from Chassis, to tranny, to engine and should not be far from max tune.

Let me edit this. The Bantering" is accusing me of just wanting to sell cams and that if you deal with Chris you have to pay him." This is far from the truth. I offer and give free information out on a daily bases. This includes lash advisement all the time. If the customer chooses to come to me for a cam that is great.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
I was just goofing........sorry.
i know you was..some of the crap in some of the tech threads ruins them..i aint upset with anyone..i just like to read and learn from others.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I sent Chris a PM about my cam and his recommendation on the lash since the custom cam that was ground seems to be off.
I'll post my results after the adjustment and will be calling Chris when I get off work to talk about a new cam.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts

was a real question....

1 - 20 of 97 Posts