Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the boards over the last month and thought long and hard about the future and the past of our niche racing ( street cars)
Looking back to my first races with the nmca in 95 most people showed up with open trailers or smaller enclosed trailers with 1 car maybe some spare parts and a tool box. Today it is toterhomes or motorhomes with huge trailers or stackers and spare everything in order to make the show.
We have come to a crossroads in our form of racing . Do we try and continue down this path, try to come up with bigger sponsers and more money out of our pockets and our sponsers ? To have fun?
Or do we try and reign in our sport and go back to real street car racing?
Instead of trying to find ways to make more money ( payouts ) Should we try and make it more feasible for the average guy to find a way to race in our group?
If there are more average joes racing with us , I think it more likely his friends and co-workers will be likely to come watch and spend there money as spectators.
What is the answer to this ? I don't know. Maybe rules that prohibit engine changes between rounds, or even sealing the heads to the block at tech :smt102
Again this is just an opinion. But maybe we have lost touch with what the average spectator can feel a part of

·
Registered
126 Posts
Point well made... I've only been around since 98. I did watch drag radial go from an entry level class of open trailers and an average et in the low 9's to Flippers 7.91 shot heard around the world at no Problem and this is our "entry level" class :shock:

Our form of racing is out of control and only a complete revamp will fix it IMHO.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Hey Rick,

Yea, thats a toughie there. we just started up a "heads up street car series" here in San Diego & #1 & #2 cars were both mid 8 second cars. there is NO way I can compete with that, about the only way I could win is to hope that either they break or dont show, even then there are plenty of low 9 second cars around that are ahead of me. Im sure we could "Rule" the heck out of it, & weed out a lot of cars, but where theres a will there's a way. the winner has a 12" tired Nova with a small block & one stage. how do I rule him out? I cant, its just one heck of a tough combination, that runs a serious number. for now Im first round warm up material, fortunately, I get to make T&T runs the rest of the day, to ease the pain. LOL.

Bob

·
Administrator
136,626 Posts
Dang Rick you finally made a post that makes sense!! :-D I never thought about that angle.. But I have thought about Pro Street and where it started off. 9.90's was about the norm when them guys hit the scene. Then the 9.50's all the way down to Tommy Hammonds blistering 7.50 passes against Monty Burnies 7.90 best. Tommy was thrown out faster than his run away slam dunks. But the norm for these cars was around 8.30-8.50's when it went in a total different direction. Now NPS is supposed to be this old class. But how do we go from 8.30's on unlimited pills to 7.50's on .034 jets? These cars are nothing even near a street car. Big deal they have working headlights and a horn!!! :roll: I remember sitting on Metro Parkway watching Danny Scott, Rick Dyer, Jim Trepa (SP?) and Bruce Kimmen making rumbles down the street.. Very cool stuff.. Where did all that go with NPS?

My call!!

Pro Street (combine outlaw and pro street since they only run .03 quicker than each other)
Outlaw 10.5
Drag Radial (cause that class is cool)
NPS (bring back the roots of 565 BBC on one stage.. No fancy heads!!!)
9.0 - 10.0 - 11.00 index heads up class
Brackets and the others who pull their own..

I think Top Street is going to become the class to be in. It pulls from the NHRA guys with a little twist.. HEADS UP RACING!!! All the Top Sportsman guys that I have talked to have come out to race or will be racing some of these events. It's not a hard sell to them once they understand they do not have to change their cars to compete...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
WHAT ABOUT A CLASS LIKE WSR AND GO RIGHT BACK TO THE BEGINNING OF THE PROSTREET LIKE CARTERS CHEVY 2 WITH A 30 MILE CRUISE ETC. AND HAVE TO BE TRULY STREET LEGAL ? HECK YOU SET THAT UP AND ANDY WILL PROBABLY TRY TO MOVE OVER HERE OR HAVE A SECOND HOME HERE . :-D RIGHT ANDY LOL :lol:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like Monty's classes, but run it on an 1/8 mile format and include NSS, AM and a bracket class... how about using Orlando style rules? I don;t know if that's a viable option... won't claim to understand all of the fast class stuff.

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
I'll second the 1/8th mile suggestion. Moves things along much quicker, and it's easier on parts. The lower mph is safer, and you probably don't need a nostalgia weight break for older cars.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the 1/8 mile suggestion also. for all the reasons stated above. Plus it tightens up the field. It gives a good driver with alittle less car more of a chance

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Monty also forgot one of the best supported classes out there.....Limited Street.

Not cause I am a l/s racer myself.....in my dream world I am looking at Outlaw 10.5 but my kool-aid wallet is keeping me back.

·
Administrator
136,626 Posts
The 1/8 mile format was given a try when HotRod bought the NMCA many years ago. For some reason it never caught on in the northern markets. I went to one event at Stanton and as a spectator it really stunk. Now being a racer I couldn't agree more with the 1/8 format. But for me to race and be excited about it, I need those 200 spectators for every car that shows.. I love working on my car. I also love racing... But what makes all this worth it to me is the spectators who walk around in the pits and their kids. Very cool for a father to stop by with his kid and give you props. Also very cool when the kid wants to crawl into your car to check it out. This is how I started the love for drag racing. Animal Jim was my inspiration when he asked me to come into his pit to check out his bent steering wheel from the G's applied to him on the take off. I was hooked from that day on!! I seen him online about 2 years ago when he decided to come back to racing. I wrote him a 3-4 page e-mail thanking him. He said the very words I just said "It's all worth it when your hard work is recognized by others" Call it attitude or ego.. I have never made a profit in this sprot...

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Monty, very few elite people make a profit at this sport. I have read all the posts and since my opinion really doesn't matter, I thought I'd share it with you guys.

First, making it 1/4 mile is not such a bad thing. I agree it saves parts, and might be a little safer..... but if you start limiting the action, you will lose sponsors because the crowds will dwindle. IMHO, 1/4 mile is more challenging, because you have to have everything just right to run the back half of the track.

Secondly, I agree with the fact that these Pro-Street cars are not even close to real street cars. They need to revamp that with some big rule changes, or change the damn name. I know for me growing up and watching the beginning's of the NMCA with all those guys crusing those mid-low 8 sec cars down the streets of MI.... that was the coolest thing ever. That is what we need to get back to with that class.

I like the Outlaw 10.5 classes, but again I think the cars need to be more similar to actual street cars. I am making sure we keep the power windows, cd player, hell maybe even the rear window defroster in my Outlaw car. The only thing not functional will be the damn blinkers.... and if I have to I can wire some in.

The bottom line is that racing is very expensive. And the faster classes need to be recognized as more of a professional category, and treated like them. I understand the slower guys also need a place to race, so some of these organizers need to start making some slots for them. I like the cheap street class at the CLash of the Titans.... they have kept those guys in line and it is a relatively inexpensive class to race and be competitive in. But once you go to limited rules and heads-up racing..... it becomes stupidly expensive. I do this just for fun, but I would like to see bigger payouts just simply because of the traveling expenses and just to run the car. But I do know that you have to get the spectators out there and racers to have big payouts. But I believe a lot of these promoters have forgotten about advertisement. Around here, you really have to know where to search to find some of these races....

Just my opinion.......

·
Administrator
136,626 Posts
Thanks for the post and your opinion does matter!!!

Niceguy, if you need help wiring the turn signal stuff say so.. We can help ya out...

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Monty Mikho said:
Thanks for the post and your opinion does matter!!!

Niceguy, if you need help wiring the turn signal stuff say so.. We can help ya out...
:-D Now monty, ya know I know how to do it...... I just don't have the little blinker thing anymore with the aftermarket column kit in the car. LOL Hell I still know the hand signals, so it could still be legal right? LOL

Just remember, there is always someone with more money and more knowledge that will go faster than you. You can create a strict set of rules, and if someone wants to spend enough money, they will be unstoppable. So my best advice is to try to find a class you can afford, and be happy with that, or take out some loans to get to the next level. Racing never will be an affordable thing, unless you like bracket racing.... and personally I hate that shit. But kudos to those that do.... it takes everyone to make this sport great.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
:shock: Now that is some funny shit Monty. I thought you were just giving me a hard time.... how is that attached? And where do you get one.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Well I hate to rain on your Parade, but my NPS car is going to be a real street car, Lic. and insured PERIOD. Now it might not have another AIRBAG other than the driver, and things like E'brake and heater delete, but it will be a street car. Hell I'm trying now to fit the stereo in and see where it can go. BUT also for NPS rules that are in place right now, there could be a 25 mile or so drive at ANY event they seem fit. Just remember that when everyones trashing my class. I love this "OLD TIME" class style of heads up racing, and I do hate the fact that these upper guys are running TOP SHELF 632's. Maybe like my if there going to run with the Big Chief heads, they should be under 500 inches. 632's for N/A ONLY. I don't know as I don't dwell on it much. I do think I can run in the 7.70 range with some time in the seat, but a .50 will be with a 200 mph tailwind. I can remember seeing the "CARS" team running all over the place, and thought that was cool. Natural progression is to just go faster, and that's what happened. But this class needs to be saved and kept in the 7.5 range. Those guys that are there now should just lean on there stuff as hard as I'm planning on, and than they can run TOP STREET. But they, (NSCA) should MAKE SURE there is a cruise for the Milan race where there will be alot of cars in the class. John's CANADIAN 2 CENTS. 8)

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
I was in Terminal Supply the other day on Thunderbird, dude terminal supply is like a candy store for electrical gurus.... good thing I don't know squat about electrical. :-D

·
Administrator
136,626 Posts
LOL I went in there one day and said "how much for that shelf" The guy looked at me and said "What?" I said "I want everything on that shelf minus the shelf how much" He thought for a minute and said "Give me $300 and its yours" I have enough wire, shrink wrap, terminals and other crap to wire 60 cars from front to back.. Why I need all of it I haven't a clue.. But it was cheaper than buying it for $8.00 a roll :-D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts