Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the low car count last week, and some cars like Pappas, Moyer,and Ulsch running away with the field, it had me wondering: What is the future of this class in ADRL?

I'm a big 10.5 fan, whether it maybe True 10.5, O/L 10.5, or Xtreme 10.5. I'm just wondering, is there a way to make the count go back up?

I can only think of two things:
1) Change the cars to an "outlaw 10.5" format and let the old extreme 10.5 cars run in P/N or P/X, since most of these cars are just pro mods on 10.5 tires. Then you drop the weight limit on the cars. So it pretty much turns into Outlaw 10.5 with no weight rules.

2) Make the XTF chassis cars run on True 10.5's, Outlaw 10.5 cars run on 10.5 w's. Maybe put a small weight limit on the XTF cars.

·
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
4,370 Posts
the only way they are saving that class is with weight limits on combo's imo....

when chuck went 3.90 i was worried about the class, and now 3.80's? idk, i think they should of went with outlaw 10.5 and not pro mod 10.5's, the class has no identity to it also.

just a fan's observations here.

·
Head Phuckstick in Charge
7,613 Posts
IMHO this class is done. See my post a month ago about Billy Glidden's problem. You either have to have a screw or a big turbo motor to compete. Why bother to show up with a car that runs 4 teens when the top dog is .3 faster? The 10.5 W tires have gotten so good there isn't much difference between them and a big tire anymore. They've certainly gotten better than I ever thought they would!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I agree it will never happen. XTF is what screwed up outlaw 10.5 for awhile. Thankfully Outlaw 10.5 is making a strong comeback.

I Would like to see one of two things (that im sure will never happen)

1. turn XTF back into outlaw 10.5 with REAL outlaw 10.5 cars.

2. Just do away with XTF all together and have a big tire Pro Turbo class w/o any other power adders
-ulsch would have no problem in pro xtreme
-Nasier on a big tire I believe could do very well in pro nitrous
-Moyer, Spiro, White fit into the turbo class

maybe I lost my mind. I don't know.....

·
20,169 Posts
when this class first came out i went to rockingham along with some other outlaw 10.5 drivers to see what this class was like in person. i said it then to kenny and ill say it now its just not the same! guys like myself who raced outlaw 10.5 from the start loved the racing the way it was with our rules we raced under weather it be in ORSCA or some other local races like the ones i raced at Cecil and Atco. IF the ADRL had kept the "real 10.5" cars in the picture then iam pretty sure myself along with some others wouldve raced with them but lets face it when you can just pick up a used pro stock or pro mod car rolling or turn key and spend a little time getting the car set up for the 10.5's its a whole lot cheaper than it is to build a high end state of the art outlaw 10.5 car. just my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
IMHO this class is done. See my post a month ago about Billy Glidden's problem. You either have to have a screw or a big turbo motor to compete. Why bother to show up with a car that runs 4 teens when the top dog is .3 faster? The 10.5 W tires have gotten so good there isn't much difference between them and a big tire anymore. They've certainly gotten better than I ever thought they would!
I don't think the tire changes are the reason those guys run so fast. I think it is more a situation where the racers and technology have gotten a lot better. Remove the notion of traction control and just focus on something like the torque converters. Things are way better now than they were two or three years ago. Factor in billet turbos and people not afraid of spraying nitrous on top of a blower or turbo. The cars have gotten a lot lighter too. I just read at Competitionplus.com that the Titan car is 2200 pounds and they aren't even the lightest car. So that right there helps speed up the cars.

XTF is like the other ADRL classes, it is super fast and getting more expensive to keep up. The difference between Pro Nitrous and Pro Extreme compared to XTF is that there are more guys willing to run in those classes than in XTF. There are only so many guys who can build a car at that level with the titanium and carbon fiber. as the fields get quicker the pool of guys who can afford to keep up gets smaller.

·
Registered
705 Posts
when this class first came out i went to rockingham along with some other outlaw 10.5 drivers to see what this class was like in person. i said it then to kenny and ill say it now its just not the same! guys like myself who raced outlaw 10.5 from the start loved the racing the way it was with our rules we raced under weather it be in ORSCA or some other local races like the ones i raced at Cecil and Atco. IF the ADRL had kept the "real 10.5" cars in the picture then iam pretty sure myself along with some others wouldve raced with them but lets face it when you can just pick up a used pro stock or pro mod car rolling or turn key and spend a little time getting the car set up for the 10.5's its a whole lot cheaper than it is to build a high end state of the art outlaw 10.5 car. just my thoughts on it.
I'm with you there Tim. But the problem is now all the new XTF cars are built in "ADRL trim" so unless your buying a used car that was built in the last year or so, your going to be heavy.

I bought a realy clean lightly used prostock Don Ness Trans Am beginning of last year to run XTF, but now it would be one of the heavier cars in the class. Might just index race it instead. :smt102

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm with you there Tim. But the problem is now all the new XTF cars are built in "ADRL trim" so unless your buying a used car that was built in the last year or so, your going to be heavy.

I bought a realy clean lightly used prostock Don Ness Trans Am beginning of last year to run XTF, but now it would be one of the heavier cars in the class. Might just index race it instead. :smt102
It must be a heavy pig... Michelle Wilson's Pontiac is crazy light...

·
www.PelechBrosRacing.com
4,000 Posts
XTF will die a slow death just like several other classes with mixed power adders and no rules already have.

·
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
4,370 Posts
the adrl may have to do something about this rather quickly, sponsors arn't going to want to continue to sponsor a class with 9 cars showing up to the races.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
The class will slowly die off unless the power adder size is limited. Costs are high with any heads up class, but XTF is just plain out of hand.

·
Registered
705 Posts
It must be a heavy pig... Michelle Wilson's Pontiac is crazy light...
I'm sure its not as light as the new cars. Can't say that car can handle a 3.80 either.

is my T/A heavy? Not at all. Does it have a titanium tail section and a complete body that weighs 54 pounds? Nope. Its going to need a little chassis work to be able to run a 3.80 consistently. Which makes it even heavier. Every little bit counts. In XTF, you can't afford to give up anything if you want to win. Im not interested in spending a ton of money just to fill the field. Hence why I let the guys who have got the money play, and I enjoy watching them. I can't hang with those guys, and have no problem admitting it.

·
Philippians 4:13
2,922 Posts
Another class where big money took over. When the class first started you could get you an old 1992 pro stock chassis, put a 632 with a few guns on it and have fun. Then the class purpose cars were built out of titanium and killed it. It's dead lol

·
hyperformanceracing.com
2,247 Posts
All of the classes are way down. In P/X there were only 20 cars that showed...in Dallas at the end of last year there were almost 50 cars! It will be up and down all this year, I know several who are sitting out because they cant afford it, not because "its out of hand".

·
Philippians 4:13
2,922 Posts
That's also true Dan. Seems alot of people are racing close to home instead of traveling. You had your beast out any this year?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I will agree XTF will die slowly. For any class to survive there has to be rules. Its plain and simple. There has to be some parity between the different power adders. If they are getting turbo and screw cars down well under 2500lbs then how can a nitrous car compete at the same weight or heavier? It can't. Nobody likes rules but they are needed to make sure a class survives.
The car counts will go up and down depending where the races are. Alot of people just plain can't afford to travel all over especially if they feel they know they can't compete with the top cars. When XTF cars went into the 3's that was the final nail in the coffin. Now its just a matter of time till it's gone for good.
Limit the power adders and set a minimun weight for each combo. There doesnt have to be alot of rules just basic rules that can be changed and not cost the racers tons of money.
Traction control being allowed in the outlaw class's to me has really hurt. These class's were built on the basis of whoever has the most balls and can hang onto it longer wins. With the traction control and the way they are able to tune it it looks like anyone can drive one of these cars down the track.

it's all gotten outta hand. every heads up class is outta hand. It shouldn't be called "heads up" but rather "wallets out".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts