1 - 20 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
i wish i was alive back then

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
What did they run back then ? engine specs?

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
George it was cool to see the cars before the class was made. NHRA had a class in the summer of 69 called X/SS. There were 15 cars that ran York for the first race of those types. Jenkins was #1 Qualifier at 10.0 something. Next fastest car was the 66 Nova of the Shallcross Bros. It ran a 10.15! Sat morning Jenkins came out and set the place on fire with a [email protected] mph. First N/A door car pass in the 9's! I believe the engines were no more than 440 inches. Most were +.060 427's. Any pics of Stepps cars? Had to be the best built and prepared Mopars out there. He was first to have a coil over rear suspension in a Pro Stock car. 1973 at INDY in P/S was the year! There were two cars that qualified identical ET and MPH. Jenkins always had a cigar in his mouth. The cool shit he did was when he did his burnouts. He would have the drivers door open and hang out of it. He always watched how the tires worked on the rear of the car! Neat pics!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I noticed 2 or more of the drivers didn't have helmets on. When did that rule go into effect?

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
Damn it George, I just had a multiple. 70-71 Pro Stockers are my all time favorites. I love the old cars where you still had to kick the clutch.

·
Registered
591 Posts
if early Mopar Pro Stockers are your thing then a visit to my site is a must. there are more there than any other place online. maybe close to 1,000. Right under the wheelstand banner there is drop down box . It lists the all of the driver's and has a goods deal of their cars around that time. Many of the pics on the two links posted here are included but not all. I was lucky enough to have been there but to also have worked on a few different cars and now even as an owner of one of the most famous cars of the day http://PROSTOCKHEMI.COM

http://www.prostockhemi.com/hemipro/
http://www.prostockhemi.com/hemipro/index2.php

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Fred, ya got any good pics of Uncle Bills cars? Anyone know what happened to the early ones? One of the Colts must still be around somewhere. Wonder what Bobby Y. is doing now? Talked to Humbert today! Dont know if ya knew he had open heart surgery bout 3 months back. I wish I could tell the story about Jenkins in 73. That match race at Kil-Kare was one of the best!

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
Sucks that you hit the wall. Thats an original car isnt it, glad it didnt get totaled. I like you guys that put them out there doing what they were built for. I was on the back bumper at half track a couple of times last year, go get two types of people that come up afterward. One says its the baddest thing they have ever seen and the other that says you need to put some wheelie bars on there.:)

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
Fred, ya got any good pics of Uncle Bills cars? Anyone know what happened to the early ones? One of the Colts must still be around somewhere. Wonder what Bobby Y. is doing now? Talked to Humbert today! Dont know if ya knew he had open heart surgery bout 3 months back. I wish I could tell the story about Jenkins in 73. That match race at Kil-Kare was one of the best!
Oh come on tell it. Or is that the one with the cigar LOL.

1 - 20 of 384 Posts