Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this years story may be a bit shorter than normal, but not so much if we go "PRE Drag Week"

We have to start at last years last day, on the verge of "inconsequential glory" we just went a 6.94 and came back with a bit more power in it and the fuel pump took a crap so there we were, only a could have been. Well over the winter we pretty much did nothing, Tom took it to the Autorama in Detroit and the a couple other spots for shows in the spring. Tom brought car over late spring or as engine builders think of it "Mid Summer " we think this because even if it was here in April I never really looked at it till May / June so I consider that when it came in, or at least it feels that way. Chassis guys though think it came in in late fall, they are WAY worse than engine guys. Yeah that's right, I went there.

This year we wanted to convert it to Holley EFI away from the system that was on it mainly because I am big into the Holley stuff and think it is a better system. Tom is like "ok, whatever" so after countless hours of walking around the car in the middle of my floor we start working on it, after all we have LOTS of time. Remember that one saying.

The conversion goes well couple of little snags with some noise but we end up with it on the dyno and run a modest 2100+HP at the tire with a modest boost, 24PSI I think it was. So we come up with a time to go test, the NMCA super bowl is going on at Chicago so we think 'what the heck' lets go there. After this one test session we are going to take the engine apart and do a complete rebuild, I got everything to rebuild it since it has all of 2012 drag week and 2011 on it and a bunch of chassis dyno time. I also had the Mach 1 done and was trying to test that and thought what the heck lets take both. This Mach 1 is really a nice car 572 twin 88mm turbs huge power, leaf springs, flat hood, very cool. Toms car is quite nice and it was actually clean, Tom did not clean it, but it was clean. Tom has a nice 2012 dodge big 4 wheel drive, big ole lift and tires and I am pretty darn sure he has not washed it since 2010, drives me crazy. I am so fricken anal about how stuff looks, but I am holding my ground on this one, I am not washing that truck even though ever fiber of my being wants to grab a hose and wash it down. So, Toms got the car in a over glorified snowmobile trailer that has never been washed, I did not want to bring my trailer so we took Mikes trailer for the Mach 1 which has hit at least 13 deer and had 5 trees fall on it and yes probably not ever been washed either. The Cars come out and I am looking around and I say " there is $250,000 worth of car sitting here and $2,500 worth of trailers, pitiful just pitiful"

So the Mach 1 goes out and makes a turtle launch, 1.48 60 I think and it goes 7.97 193 at 3870lbs sweet this was a little later but I thought I would at least finish out that part of the story. So Tom goes out and does a burnout launches the car same boost tune up as last year. the car shakes the tires so hard it opens both doors! this is where normal people coast the rest of the way, not Tom, every pass is for a trophy, he peddles, it shakes, he peddles again, smoke starts pouring out the exhaust and I cant really tell if it is tire smoke or oil. You might think you could tell but there was a lot and we don't call him Top Fuel Tom for nothing!

Well it has been a bit and Tom is not coming back, so I go down to see what is up. Here is our conversation as I remember it.
Tom - How fast did it go?
Me - I don't know, why did you get back in it?
Tom- I don't know, first pass I guess.
Me - It shook so bad the doors opened up.
Tom - I know I pulled it closed though.
Me - :confused: Really?
Tom - I think there is something wrong, makes noise
Me - Well there is no oil in the diaper pan. Start it up. Bang Bang Bang. Hmm, Its broke
Tom - What is it?
Me - Not sure but it isn't good.

So we pull it back, I tell Tom take the covers off, it probably dropped a valve. Yep sure enough it dropped a valve, now keep in mind I have EVERYTHING at the shop to rebuild this including Valves. All we wanted in life was to make a couple hits make sure the Holley tune was good and tear it apart.

Now this is how Drag Weeks corrupts your brain,
Tom - This is really going to screw up our schedule for Drag Week.
Me - Yep
Tom - What do you think caused it?
Me - uummm, we used it.
Tom - How long to fix it?
Me - depends on how bad.

Do you see the pattern here, drag week is something that warps your brain as drag racing in general does but Drag Week in particular. Beating drag week becomes all consuming. Tom has been trying to beat drag week for 3 years prior, me 2 years prior. Your going down Drag Week! It is kinda like that scene in Gone With The Wind where scarlet ohara is on the ground holding up a radish or something all covered in dirt beaten down and she screams out "never again will I eat this", or something like that, anyways I remember this from a kid when for some reason my mom made me watch that movie. Scarlet was just saying "Screw you! you wont beat me mother F'er"
With determination in our eyes, a broken engine in the car and just a few weeks before Drag Week "screw you Drag Week! we will whip your [email protected]$ !

Forward and onward

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,197 Posts
LMAO...HELL YEAH

·
It weighs how much????
1,629 Posts
The Cars come out and I am looking around and I say " there is $250,000 worth of car sitting here and $2,500 worth of trailers, pitiful just pitiful"
:smt081
That's a quote right there (and I'm the same way about cleaning stuff)...

Can't wait for part 2....

·
Registered
580 Posts
So Tom goes out and does a burnout launches the car same boost tune up as last year. the car shakes the tires so hard it opens both doors! this is where normal people coast the rest of the way, not Tom, every pass is for a trophy, he peddles, it shakes, he peddles again, smoke starts pouring out the exhaust and I cant really tell if it is tire smoke or oil. You might think you could tell but there was a lot and we don't call him Top Fuel Tom for nothing!
This reminded me of a pass from day 2. I believe Tom broke the tires loose a couple of hundred feet out and got back into it,lighting up the tires again going through the traps .I thought for sure it was engine smoke pouring out from the car
but upon further viewing he was boiling the hides through the traps running a 7.0 at over 200.Incredible!!
Great story Steve,keep them coming.

·
up and running soon.
13,182 Posts
Great post thanks Steve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts