Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this car has been my favorite possession, as well as my nemesis for the last 22+ years. I will post some pics of it from over the years up until what it looks like today. It is not quite finished but the transformation is almost complete.

It all started when I moved to Mesa Az at 19 with a 67 Chevy truck. It was ugly, and embarrassing, but it had a built 454 and it ran really good. 6 months later it was stolen. Liability insurance only, but I did get to claim it as a loss on my taxes, so I got about 10% of my receipts back. I started to search for the replacement and I found the Camaro in the local auto trader.

I will be back as I can't post pics from my tablet

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Here is what it looked like when I first bought it. It is a 69 RS/SS 350 4 speed. It originally came from California. When I test drove it, the engine was on its last leg. In fact the previous owner trailered it to me, as he didn't think that it would make it. So the first thing that I did was to put in a 327 that I had.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Next came a paint job.

And some new wheels.

I drove it like this for 1 1/2 years or so. It was my daily driver. I took it to Kansas on the Power Tour. Until ...

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I wanted to do some upgrades for the 97 Power Tour.

I installed the leather interior from a 95 Camaro.
Then I bought an 8-71 blower for the car. I was putting it on the car. I removed the heater core, and decided to weld up the hole.

A spark caught the carpet on fire. I put that out quickly, and then went inside to get a drink. I didn't realize it, but the glove box was still on fire, but its under the dash so I couldn't see it. When I came back out, the leather seats had caught fire, and the flames were over the roof of the house.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This time I did have full coverage insurance, so I did get some money back. I bought the car back, and still had 6 weeks before the Power Tour, so the mad thrash was on.

Back yard paint job complete.

Of course the money that I had saved for the big block blower motor was spent on the rest of the car, so I put the 8-71 on the 327. Oh the logic of a 22 year old.

In the end we ran out of time to make it on the Power Tour, and I wasn't happy with the work that had been done so far so...

Down to bare metal, and time to start over.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I had a real painter come and help me. We sealed it, and did all of the prep work in my back yard, and then we rented a spray booth on a Saturday, and he sprayed it. I kept It like this for about 10 years. I changed engines, from the 327, to a 350, and then to a 383. Mostly I just enjoyed driving it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
that's awesome!. nothing like a Camaro with a blower out the hood

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. It did look decent. Mostly it ran like crap. It was a fun cruiser, but in reality it probably made around 400 horse. In 2008 I sold my racecar, and trailer, so I thought that I would update the Camaro. The body wasn't great, and there were some rust bubbles that had formed, so I stripped it all back down again, and set about welding in some patch panels.

My 220v was too big so I had to borrow a 110 welder and it didn't work great. But I got it done and some of it looked good.
And lets weld in some rod to close up the door gaps.

And then lets borrow some wheels and tires and see how it looks with a mini tub.

I also had to replace the trunk floor, do a patch panel on the drivers floor board, and patch both quarters, and both fenders. Eventually, these all got replaced with new sheet metal. But that comes later.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My original intention, was to spend $15,000 or so, and go through the engine, patch the body, and throw some paint on it, and then do the mini tub, but keep the leaf springs, and stock rearend. That changed when my buddy says " I just bought a rotisserie if you ever want to borrow it". So now I have him to blame this on.

It sure did make welding in the tubs easier. And then I bought a rear 4 bar kit with coil overs, and a Fab 9 rear. And then I had to get the front suspension to match. And then I found a guy who had changed direction on his project, so I bought his stainless fuel tank, and Tremec TKO600 transmission, with driveshaft, clutch, and bell housing. No pics on any of these.
Now it was time to have the engine gone through. And while that is done, lets take the blower apart, and the heads apart, and everything else that I can find, and lets get everything polished.

And now lets find someone to paint it for me.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Due to Photobucket sucking so much ass, I have moved some pics over to Flickr. Hopefully this works. Just ignore page one.

Well, this car has been my favorite possession, as well as my nemesis for the last 22+ years. I will post some pics of it from over the years up until what it looks like today. It is not quite finished but the transformation is almost complete.

It all started when I moved to Mesa Az at 19 with a 67 Chevy truck. It was ugly, and embarrassing, but it had a built 454 and it ran really good. 6 months later it was stolen. Liability insurance only, but I did get to claim it as a loss on my taxes, so I got about 10% of my receipts back. I started to search for the replacement and I found the Camaro in the local auto trader.
IMG_0358 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
Here is what it looked like when I first bought it. It is a 69 RS/SS 350 4 speed. It originally came from California. When I test drove it, the engine was on its last leg. In fact the previous owner trailered it to me, as he didn't think that it would make it. So the first thing that I did was to put in a 327 that I had.
IMG_0359 by Brian Klein, on Flickr

Next came a paint job.
IMG_0360 by Brian Klein, on Flickr

And some new wheels.
IMG_0361 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
I drove it like this for 1 1/2 years or so. It was my daily driver. I took it to Kansas on the Power Tour. Until ...

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wanted to do some upgrades for the 97 Power Tour.
IMG_0362 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
IMG_0363 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
I installed the leather interior from a 95 Camaro.
Then I bought an 8-71 blower for the car. I was putting it on the car. I removed the heater core, and decided to weld up the hole.
IMG_0364 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
IMG_0365 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
IMG_0366 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
A spark caught the carpet on fire. I put that out quickly, and then went inside to get a drink. I didn't realize it, but the glove box was still on fire, but its under the dash so I couldn't see it. When I came back out, the leather seats had caught fire, and the flames were over the roof of the house.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This time I did have full coverage insurance, so I did get some money back. I bought the car back, and still had 6 weeks before the Power Tour, so the mad thrash was on.
IMG_0368 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
IMG_0369 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
Back yard paint job complete.
IMG_0372 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
Of course the money that I had saved for the big block blower motor was spent on the rest of the car, so I put the 8-71 on the 327. Oh the logic of a 22 year old.
IMG_0373 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
IMG_0375 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
IMG_0374 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
In the end we ran out of time to make it on the Power Tour, and I wasn't happy with the work that had been done so far so...
IMG_0370 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
IMG_0377 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
Down to bare metal, and time to start over.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IMG_0379 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
IMG_0380 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
IMG_0381 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
IMG_0383 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
I had a real painter come and help me. We sealed it, and did all of the prep work in my back yard, and then we rented a spray booth on a Saturday, and he sprayed it. I kept It like this for about 10 years. I changed engines, from the 327, to a 350, and then to a 383. Mostly I just enjoyed driving it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you. I had a lot of fun in this car. It did look decent. Mostly it ran like crap. It was a fun cruiser, but in reality it probably made around 400 horse. In 2008 I sold my racecar, and trailer, so I thought that I would update the Camaro. The body wasn't great, and there were some rust bubbles that had formed, so I stripped it all back down again, and set about welding in some patch panels.
100_0618 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
100_0617 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
My 220v was too big so I had to borrow a 110 welder and it didn't work great. But I got it done and some of it looked good.
And lets weld in some rod to close up the door gaps.
100_0671 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
100_0678 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
And then lets borrow some wheels and tires and see how it looks with a mini tub.
100_0792 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
100_0793 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
100_0791 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
I also had to replace the trunk floor, do a patch panel on the drivers floor board, and patch both quarters, and both fenders. Eventually, these all got replaced with new sheet metal. But that comes later.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My original intention, was to spend $15,000 or so, and go through the engine, patch the body, and throw some paint on it, and then do the mini tub, but keep the leaf springs, and stock rearend. That changed when my buddy says " I just bought a rotisserie if you ever want to borrow it". So now I have him to blame this on.
100_1491 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
100_1483 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
It sure did make welding in the tubs easier. And then I bought a rear 4 bar kit with coil overs, and a Fab 9 rear. And then I had to get the front suspension to match. And then I found a guy who had changed direction on his project, so I bought his stainless fuel tank, and Tremec TKO600 transmission, with driveshaft, clutch, and bell housing. No pics on any of these.
100_1253 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
100_1252 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
New wheels and tires.
Now it was time to have the engine gone through. And while that is done, lets take the blower apart, and the heads apart, and everything else that I can find, and lets get everything polished.
100_2798 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
100_2799 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
And now lets find someone to paint it for me.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I found a shop about an hour away that would do the body work and paint it for me. I don't have many pics of it happening as those are on an old phone, and an old computer. They replaced the tail light panel. I bought new AMD fenders as they said that the old ones weren't worth saving. I also had them do a one piece headliner for it, and put in a custom back seat, and a few other things. Needless to say it was all crap. It looks ok in the pics, but when I saw it in person after they had cut and buffed it, I told them that I was taking the car with me. When I got it home, I saw how bad it really was.
100_2902 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
100_2904 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
DSCN0791 by Brian Klein, on Flickr

When I got it home, I continued to work on it to finish up all of the stuff that I could, while I searched for a shop to fix it for me.
DSCN0792 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
DSCN0793 by Brian Klein, on Flickr
I ran stainless brake lines, I built the fuel lines. I had to rebuild the headers as the old shop cut 3 tubes off of the drivers side and then never finished them. It took me about a year before I found the new shop Weaver Customs in Salt Lake City.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts