Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all seen such a thing? I never seen such a damn thing in my life on a vehicle/pickup on a city street. I laughed so hard some, thinking what the fuck! It reminds of the damn shopping carts in grocery stores where the front wheels just shake to death, spin, and shake, etc..... It was like out of control pinball machine flippers!

·
Registered
37,510 Posts
You all seen such a thing? I never seen such a damn thing in my life on a vehicle/pickup on a city street. I laughed so hard some, thinking what the fuck! It reminds of the damn shopping carts in grocery stores where the front wheels just shake to death, spin, and shake, etc..... It was like out of control pinball machine flippers!

It's been going on for at least 15 years that I'm aware of, and while it may look funny I can assure you it's anything but, often shooting the unsuspecting driver straight into the oncoming lane with no means whatsoever to control the truck. Had it happen to me more times than I can count. Most common to Dodges but Fords are susceptible too. Bad track bar ball joints are the most common cause but low tire pressure, steering stabilizers and other worn front end parts all contribute. Right now, there's a ton of late model (2017-up) Ford Super Duties that are suffering from death wobble, some with less than 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
28,923 Posts
Try it on a motorcycle... Oh wait you can't see this because you're a pussy and have half of YB on ignore.....

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's been going on for at least 15 years that I'm aware of, and while it may look funny I can assure you it's anything but, often shooting the unsuspecting driver straight into the oncoming lane with no means whatsoever to control the truck. Had it happen to me more times than I can count. Most common to Dodges but Fords are susceptible too. Bad track bar ball joints are the most common cause but low tire pressure, steering stabilizers and other worn front end parts all contribute. Right now, there's a ton of late model (2017-up) Ford Super Duties that are suffering from death wobble, some with less than 20,000 miles.
Yup, not really that uncommon. Lots of jeeps deal with it too, a lot more once they're modified. Really just about anything with a solid front axle and a left right steering linkage can have problems.

The older pre-87 chevy trucks didn't suffer from it too bad, they used a push/pull steering linkage. It had other problem though.

·
Registered
24,366 Posts
Try it on a motorcycle... Oh wait you can't see this because you're a pussy and have half of YB on ignore.....
:smt079 Well Played Sir, Well Played.

/thread

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
It's been going on for at least 15 years that I'm aware of.
It's been going on for a lot longer than that, Some of the older cars and trucks would get the wobble when the suspension was worn out. Mt brother in-law had a little foreign car of some kind when in the early 80's that was a junk pile but he didn't care, The death wobble would start as soon as you touched the brakes or hit a bump and wouldn't quit until you came to a complete stop.

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just never seen such a damn thing! The folks did slow down and stop pulled in the parking lot. I was acutally about to poop my pants as well, It was a older 90's Dodge Ram pickup. I was thinking tie-rods, or just something broke for not spraying the under carriage from the years of salt / sand put down for snow / ice.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee has to be the worst, most severe!!
Absolutely. It can be somewhat worrisome for a seasoned, experienced racer or serious enthusiast, hard to imagine what it must be like for the below average unskilled and oblivious appliance pilot.I'm surprised it hasn't killed more than it already may have, willing to bet that most accicent reports just pick the low hanging fruit such a driver inattention or alcohol/drug impairment instead of focusing on the real issue.

·
Busy being a cunt
30,156 Posts
The 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee has to be the worst, most severe!!
I'd put my money on a late '60's early '70's GM products with the power assisted ram setup.......There is no steering, the vehicle is guided by the road :(

I remember letting and acquaintance drive my '72 Vette home from Adelaide in '94 or 5, the fucker got the cunt in a "tank slapper" before we got to the outskirts of town :(

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Late '60s-early '70s Ford 1/2 ton trucks were notorious for that shit. You could check the suspension and find nothing. Put new front tires on and it would be golden.

·
Trolling the Trolls
15,121 Posts
Yup, not really that uncommon. Lots of jeeps deal with it too, a lot more once they're modified. Really just about anything with a solid front axle and a left right steering linkage can have problems.

The older pre-87 chevy trucks didn't suffer from it too bad, they used a push/pull steering linkage. It had other problem though.
Same basic drag link setup as GM A Body's, Dad's 76 P'up for example.

·
Deplorable Basketcase
9,418 Posts
years ago at Quaker City Dragway I witnessed a classic example of the death wobble on a motorcycle..guy launches it and about halfway thru 3rd gear it started wobbling badly.

dude somehow got it slowed,regained control ..then in only what could be considered sheer brilliance..he pegs it wide open and starts banging gears again.

it came unglued just before the finish line,this time going way faster than before.

after whipping back and forth violently the bike threw the rider over the bars and he did a Superman flight right thru the timing boxes and equipment.

he tried to get up,collapsed and the ambulance was dispatched to take him to the hospital..it all seemed rather humorous till we realized the track can't run without the ambulance present and we all had to wait over an hour for racing to resume.

moral of the story is :respect the death wobble..or pay the price! :)

·
WHAT NOW ?
16,403 Posts

the older 87 down chevys had a little bit of bump steer , but no death rattle...... straight axle with coil spring front suspension seem to be prone to this....Bad tire balance can cause this.....get tires road force balanced.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Could you possibly try this again. Perhaps compose a paragraph that is in English?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I fixed a early 70's Capri with the wobble, turned out to be the steering rack.
Lotsa 3/4 and 1 ton Dodge diesels were prone to it as they absolutely needed to have load range E tires and off road donuts were barely load range D.
Change the stiffness from the truck or the steering wheel to the road and you create a resonance, it's that simple.
My 04 Cummins never had it but Dodge did replace all the steering parts on a recall during my ownership of the truck.

Never experienced bad headshake on a street bike except for a little wobble on my RC51 on dirt roads.

But early Honda dirtcycles like my 04 CRF250 had headshake like a mofo, especially landing after flyaways.
Easy fix on that one, sold it to the neighbor that never jumped it.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,046 Posts
A lot longer than 15 years lol. People had death wobble in their trucks when I started driving in '96. I'm sure it was happening in the decades before that, as well.

What on earth made you think there was an actual starting point where one day there wasn't death wobble, then all the sudden there was? It'd be impossible to try to nail down a date for when it started happening to anyone. As said earlier, I'd bet it's been going on for decades. Since the 80s, at least.

That's like trying to determine a date that cars started having screwed up wheel alignments lol.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts