Yellow Bullet Forums banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Parts update time! I was very sick all week, and only just started to feel a little better Sunday. Unfortunately I had a ton of stuff to do getting ready for Christmas on Sunday, so I didn't get out to the garage at all. I did however receive some parts, and order some more.

Holley fuel rails

Hurst shifter

PAC valve springs

The aluminum v-band ends

I didn't realize they are the o-ringed type, but they are also indexed so I am still gonna give them a shot on the exhaust. Probably just run them without the o-rings, or maybe try and get something higher temp. Not 100% sure yet.

Derale trans cooler

This thing is massive for a trans cooler, but that is what I was going for! I believe its the biggest one they make, so hopefully it keeps my trans happy with street driving.

That is all that has arrived so far, but I went a little crazy and ordered up some good stuff. I'll wait until it comes in to update with pics though. I called on my oil pan last week too, they said they were waiting on the pickup still. They said its in transit, but couldn't give me any kind of ETA at all, so I guess we will see.

This weekend is totally fucked for getting anything done to the car. I think the weekend after Christmas is totally wide open though so I plan on really getting after it. In the mean time I still need to find my damn trans mount!! If I cant find it soon I will just order another so I can get some work done.

That's all I got, thanks for following along!
Sean

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Nice progress, I for one appreciate all the small details as it really lets people know whats involved in properly doing a swapped car.
Thanks! There is a ton of little shit, its almost never ending. I probably don't have to do half of the stuff I am, but I want to put it together and not touch it until I upgrade things. I try to do everything nice, and just do it once if I can. It also makes it harder wanting to have it be a street car and not just a straight up race car. Going straight race car is a lot easier in most ways.

Sean

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
A little update since parts have been rolling in lately.

This is the Cam position sensor, Throttle position sensor, Coolant temp sensor, and throttle body gasket (I need to get new bolts for that)

This is the Idle air control valve, and the Oil pressure sensor

CAN BUS to USB cable (so I can tune from a laptop), Crank Position Sensor, Intake Air Temperature, Transmission catch can

Injectors back from being cleaned and flow matched, CAN BUS splitter so I can run the screen and the computer at the same time

The parts list is getting shorter and shorter!! I should be ordering a few other items soon with gift cards and money I got for Christmas. I am holding off until I start reworking the hot side to figure out what I want to get next. I am planning on working on the car pretty much all weekend, so hopefully you guys will see a good update!!

Sean

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Happy New year everyone!! No big update really, but not from a lack of effort. Lets start with some pics of the latest parts that came in.

Intake manifold gaskets (man were the old ones toast!!)

New throttle cable (mine is too short)

Locking oil dip stick (matches trans)

Intake manifold bolts

Exhaust manifold bolts

And unfortunately a new trans mount since I STILL cant find mine!!

That was where I started over last weekend actually. I hit the garage and started cleaning up/looking for my trans mount. I ended up spending most of my time cleaning and organizing which is of course super boring but also very important. Once I was able to see my bench again, and having not found my damn trans mount, I decided I could clean up and assemble my intake manifold. I pulled it all apart, took out all the old gaskets which were rock hard and probably wouldn't even seal, took off the rails and injectors. There was some disgusting "fuel" in there! This intake came from kuwait and looks like it was beat on in the desert for sure. It was around this time that I discovered I was an idiot and had ordered the wrong fuel rails. I am not even sure how I fucked that up, but the ones I got are for a single plane intake, not a stock plastic intake. I was going to keep going just without the rails/injectors but once I realized that the bolts I ordered for the throttle body were too long :mad: I decided I should spend some time cleaning the intake and throttle body while I wait for the right shit to come in.

I hate to even say it, but that pretty much was my entire weekend 😢 I did install my new catch can on the trans, even though it will all be coming off soon

While I didn't really get much (or anything) done on the car, I did clean up quite a bit and also figured some stuff out. I stared at it quite a bit and made up a list of hardware, parts, material, and tools I needed. I got most everything ordered, but with New Years the shipping got wonky which means I didn't have most of what I actually needed for yesterday (new years day).

I did eventually drag my ass out into the garage determined to get SOMETHING done to the car. I figured I would start with the trans mount since I had a new one. I ordered new bolts for the trans, which didn't come in yet and I assume that the old ones are with my mount in some other dimension laughing at me. So I got basically nowhere on that, except that I may have stripped out the tail housing. To be fair the threads didn't look great to start, and I is probably still fine. After that failure I decided to cut up one of my 4" stainless 90's to get started on the downpipe/exhaust some. This was something I figured out the weekend before, and since I was unsure if I was going to need another 90 I decided to cut it up and see what I was working with. Lets go back some, and talk about my band saw for a second. Its just a cheap bandsaw that has worked pretty well so far, but I stripped out the one adjustment bolt a while back. I may have mentioned that in here at some point. Anyway I decided I was going to cut it off so I could get a replacement in there. I spent some time doing just that, then got it dialed in to a perfect 45, just to realize that I forgot a 4" 90 wont fit at a 45 degree angle. Not to worry, it has a janky table I can use to cut it like a vertical bandsaw. So I spend some time setting that up and getting it as square as I can. Spend some time laying out the center of the bend so I cut it correctly. I put my good eye on it and away I went! If you are expecting the cut to be perfect after all of that time carefully setting up the tool, and marking out the material, and lining it all up, cutting nice and slow.... you're wrong. I missed the mark, and even if I was on it there was nothing straight about the cut.

The good news was that it still seemed salvageable. I got to work with a file and was slowly getting it into submission for the one joint I wanted to tack together. I got it pretty close and decided I was to the point I wanted to get the ends of the tubing back to round. Luckily I bought a fancy new tool to do just that (because the aluminum especially is always anything but round) that I was dying to try out. So I get it out, figure out how to set it all up, realize that I need some lubricant that I don't have, but no worries it should survive this very little effort. Once I have the right dies setup and I have it ready to go I head over to the tool box for a socket. You guessed it, I don't have one the right size.

It was about there that I threw in the towel. I wasn't really feeling it to start out, and nothing was going right. Besides that I knew that I should be getting parts and tools this week that would make everything go a LOT smoother. I have been doing this long enough to know that if I stayed out there I would only end up with something I would want to re-do anyway. I am hoping everything shows up today/tomorrow so I can get the motor and trans actually mounted (how many weeks have I been saying that now) and I can start on fab work again! I have a few thoughts, but I will save them for later since this post is already really long.

Thanks for following along as always!!
Sean

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Another weekend came and went, but this time I actually got a little done on the car! Lets start out with parts since the correct rails came in.

Packaging is a lot nicer on these ones

I also got a bunch of hardware that I had ordered up, but that's boring so no pics.

Saturday we had some crap to do, so I only got a couple hours out in the garage. I started by installing the trans mount finally! I got a couple under lift jacks which made it a million times easier. Once that was up I needed to pull the pan so I busted out the drain my wife got me for Christmas and drained whatever was left in the trans.

After that I dropped the pan. Ignore the missing bots on the crossmember, I ordered new ones and they didn't come in yet.

It was right about then that I realized that I needed to drop the back of the trans down to get the dipstick fitting installed.

I have one of the transmissions that doesn't leave enough space to turn the nut, so I had to use the install tool. Wasn't too bad to get it all together though.

Then I threw the pan back on with stainless bolts, including some longer ones up where the catch can is.

That is just the storage plug in the trans for now, Ill get the dipstick mounted and run later on. For now it should keep the crap out of it. That was about all I got done on Saturday, which sucked because I had some nice momentum going.

Sunday started off wonderfully, by hurting my back! I mostly tried to ignore it spasaming but it still slowed me down a lot. I had to help the wife take down the tree and get out all the bins for the Christmas decorations, so I again only got a few hours to work on the car anyway. I also didn't really take any pictures. I started off cutting the sheet metal in front of the shock so the turbo could sit where it needed to. Its pretty hack looking, but I will clean it up, and probably patch some of it back in later. Then I started dismantling the old crossover and working from the driver side manifold.

I ended up abandoning that idea pretty much right away though. I decided to work from the turbo out instead. So I cut the flange off the old crossover and figured out how I wanted to run the new setup. Once I marked it up and got it on the bench I noticed that the tubing was not round. I tried to use my new stretcher to get it back to round, but it was only mildly successful. Instead I flipped the elbow to the other side which was perfect and just kind of eyeballed my angle (being lazy). Of course being lazy cost me more time and effort like it always does. The angle was a little off where I wanted, so I cut it and moved it.

Should end up just in front of the crank pulley

I figured out the next piece and cut it in the band saw real quick. While it was cutting I tried removing the 2.5" to 3" transition. I ended up bending it getting it off so that put the stop on the day. I am gonna order a new one today so I will be ready to go. I am also an idiot (again) because I forgot about the fact that I am going to put a v-band after the turbo flange, so all that effort on the angle was for nothing :LOL: whoops. I am hoping I get this hotside wrapped up pretty quick. I want to start installing things for the final time. I also really like doing plumbing, so I am looking forward to that project.

I should make pretty good progress on the crossover the next time I get out there. I have a plan, and all of the material on hand (once I get a new transition). If you are wondering why I am redoing this there are a few reasons. This will mean I wont have to remount the radiator, it will make the passenger side a lot easier, and it will make wastegate mounting a lot easier. Plus I had too much time to look at it unfinished, and like anything I have too much time to think about I end up over thinking and want to redo it all.

Well that's all for now. Thanks for following along this never ending journey!

Sean

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
What do ya know, I actually got some work done this weekend!! Saturday ended up being a bust which kind of sucks. I did try to get something done, but when I pulled my Accord out to work on the SC it slid down the driveway. We were supposed to get dumped on with snow (didn't happen) so instead of wasting salt I just put it back in the garage. Sunday I woke up cleared the "snow" we got and then started on the car.

First things first I wanted to put a v-band on the 3" pipe that is going up to the turbo flange. This was just another example of me being an idiot since I spent a bunch of time last week getting that one angled just right when I put a v-band on it meaning I can turn it any which way I want. Oh well, at least I made cutting it up a lot harder. The first cut was pretty straight forward, I just hung the flange off the saw. I don't know if it was me or the saw, but it cut it like shit. That meant having to square up the cut I just made. Because it already has the turbo flange on it, I had to get creative.

Only needed a little bit

After that I needed to cut the other end to remove the material that the v-band would take up. Also a pain in the ass to set up, although not nearly as bad.

Once those were cut well enough I tacked in a v-band, but for some reason never took a picture of it. Ill get one next week for you guys. After that I started working my way over beginning with the transition to 2.5" and another v-band. I destroyed my old transition, so I had to get a new one. I went with a vibrant piece this time just so I was sure I would have it for the weekend. I must say, it is a very nice piece!

I tacked up the transition to the v-band (and had to redo some) and then a piece of 2.5" I cut last week to get everything pointing across the engine bay. I then checked it on the car, and found I needed more length on the 3"

Whats annoying about that, I cut the end of the 3" off. I have been getting very annoyed with the material being out of round. I bought a tool to try to be able to get the ends back into round, but I have only had marginal success so far. I actually used it on every end at least up to this point, and I think a couple more after this. It is very time consuming, and at least on the stainless doesn't work great. Here are a couple pics with the tool showing what I am talking about.

I think that was the end of that 3" which I eneded up cutting off. The tool is really meant to swage the ends to be able to do a slip fit joint. My hope was I could push out the parts that were smashed in, but so far it isnt really doing much until the end is flared at least a bit. Anyway, I just cut another piece of 3" and used that.

It was around then I was noticing I was having a lot of issues with my cuts. For example...

I like this one, square on right, gap on left.

Hard to see (hard to take a pic) but square on left, and no gap anywhere.

I cleaned up the short piece with the grinder and got it fit up well and square.

If you cant tell I try to take care to get good true cuts so I have good fit up, so this kind of stuff is super annoying. I'll get back to this in a bit. For now, here is that piece back in the car.

Holding it because the turbo has some movement (by design) so this is how it will actually sit.

I moved in to the manifold side, and just had to shorten up a 90 since I already had a piece on the manifold to get me pointed in the right direction.

Both pieces in the car.

The next piece I really tried to sneak up on as you can see.

But unfortunately I cut it just a touch too short.

I did cut a piece of straight 2.5" to try and get this all tacked up, but you guessed it, it wasn't square. I am pretty sure I need to change out my blade. The good news is I have one! The bad news is I am not sure where it is. I will find it during the week and get it replaced for next weekend. I also need to decide if I want to section in a short piece of straight (bigger than the gap) or cut another 90 to that weird angle and try to get the length right this time. I have a few untouched 90's and also some cuts. I am not 100% sure what its going to take for the passenger side though, but I am thinking just one 90. I want to finish this piece 100% before I do the passenger side though. At least I have all week to think about it :)

Sean

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Its Monday update time! Lets just get right to the pics starting with Saturday

This was pretty much my starting point

Which isn't as bad as it seems, since the piece on the left is able to move. This shows it more realistically.

Ignore that terrible tack weld BTW.

So I ended up deciding to remake the piece from the v-band. I had spare v-bands so I figured I could give it a shot without cutting up the original piece. That way if I messed it up worse I could go back without any problems. Here is everything cut and test fit.

On the bench, lets check out that fit up :)

All tacked up and in place

Next up was figuring out the passenger side. I knew I needed to cut the manifold to better position the v-band.

As I said last week I needed to swap out the blade in my saw. I actually started the day by finding my other blade, along with some of my other fab/welding stuff. I spent some time getting the saw all dialed in with the new blade. Once I cut the manifold the new blade was already toast. I figured that out by cutting what would become the merge piece. I was then back to where I was last weekend with no good way to cut material and have it be nice and flat/square. I decided to work on shaping/fitting the merge before calling it a night.

And on the car

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
The next morning I was torn on what to do. I only had a couple cuts I needed to make, but at the same time they needed to be precise since there was much less wiggle room on this side. I took the more difficult way out, and cut the rest of everything with the angle grinder (the 4" because I don't have cut off wheels for my 9") and then finish it with the angle grinder and a file. I didn't really take any pics for a bit since I was doing so much by hand, but here is what I eventually came up with.

I believe in this pic the top two pieces were tacked, and I was final fitting the merge piece.

I ended up cleaning this up a bit more, but this is pretty much the opening in the 3"

Final fit up before I tacked it. Not too bad.

And all tacked up

Everything back in the car!

I was pretty happy with how it all turned out, and I am glad I decided to redo it. After this I started to get an idea for the exhaust. Right off the bat you can kind of see in one of the above pictures that I need to bring the downpipe over to the fender. It looks like I will need some straight 4" stainless as well so I will get that ordered today. I looked at the wastegate placement and what will be needed so I will order that material as well. I already ordered new saw blades (again), but most of the exhaust is going to be aluminum so I should have a much easier time on cuts and fit up. Last thing for this week is I got an email Friday that my oil pan, pickup etc. is ready to ship FINALLY!!! Hopefully that goes out early this week. Once I get the downpipe fabbed up to the transition I can pull the motor again to finish up all the prep work.

That's all for this week. Thanks for following along!
Sean

·
draggin' ass
13,384 Posts
Great progress! Im glad to see it moving along once again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You have done a great job, I would be very pleased to have my hotside like looking like yours! I plan on doing mine with a cutoff saw, hopefully it will work well enough for a 2.25 divided set up.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Great progress! Im glad to see it moving along once again.
Thanks! That makes two of us :) Hopefully it starts moving along a little quicker now.

You have done a great job, I would be very pleased to have my hotside like looking like yours! I plan on doing mine with a cutoff saw, hopefully it will work well enough for a 2.25 divided set up.
Thank you! A cutoff saw works just fine, I have done a couple that way. The last few cuts on this one were done with an angle grinder and then cleaned up with a flap disc and a file. Just need to take your time and check the fitment often. Post up some pics when you get going, or better yet a link to your build thread!

Sean

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Its Monday, and you know what that means!! That's right, mediocre updates on my never ending project!! I had some other stuff going on this weekend, so it was a bit abbreviated but still progress.

Started right in with the downpipe, which for some reason I had figured I needed straight material for. Not sure what drugs I was on when that came up, but I ordered a straight section and used some so it worked out(ish). First things first I put a new blade on the saw (again) and then started cutting a new straight to go from the turbo to the first bend which has been on the car for a long time. Rotating the turbo moved the outlet so it was up against the valve cover and never fit up that well anyway.

While that was cutting I removed the flange from the old piece, and took the old straight section off. Then cleaned up the old bend as best I could. I also ended up borrowing my buddies chop saw to help with smaller cuts and cuts in bends which my band saw cant handle on the 4" stuff. That worked out great.....

I have built multiple entire turbo kits with this saw, so it was user error and I just went too fast making the blade wander. No worries, an hour with a grinder and a file got it mediocre enough for me!

One of my distractions this weekend was my Buddy Dom coming by to BS, but also to do a wing cookout. Basically we both have been on a bit of a hot sauce kick lately and we wanted to try them on some wings. Saturday was the first day that went down :)

This was the full line up

And yes, we did do some wings with the last dab

If you are wondering, yes its hot but it did have a good flavor for it being as hot as it was. It wasn't just hot for the sake of being hot. We both cleaned our wings, not just one bite and done. I was pretty much OK, but my lips were painful for like 5 minutes. Dom did OK but he was pounding water, and had the same painful lip problem I did. Anyway that was a nice distraction/lunch but then it was back to work!

I am going to take this moment to rant (again) about material. I have been fighting this the entire time, and really every time I do this kind of work its the same. The 4" stuff was a lot worse, and was really pissing me off. I am sure some of it comes from me and my process, or whatever, but it is mostly that the material is not round. It adds a ton of time trying to get it to fit up at least decently well. I pretty much had to do work on every single connection which takes a lot of time and effort. That's all for now, but I will jump back into this rant later.

I was terrible about getting pics but here is an example of trying to make an end round, or close anyway.

This is what I ended up with by the end of the day Saturday...

The eagle eyed among you will notice its not joined to the turbo. That was because by this point I had already ripped that piece off. Yes, the one I cut, fit, and tacked up that same morning. I was not thrilled with how this laid out. It was kind of mostly OK, but the outlet was pointed back toward the front, and was hitting the manifold or the firewall. Just meh overall to me.

Sunday I started by cutting it all back apart. Then I had to leave for a few hours for something. I got back to work in the afternoon though trying to salvage the weekend. Had to make this tiny cut of a bend by hand with the angle grinder. That meant a lot of work to make it any kind of square and flat. Of course it was also not very round at all, but not to worry because neither was the piece it was attaching to.

After fucking with it for an eternity it was decent.

Earlier before I had left I cut a new straight to go to the turbo. I also cut down the straight that was in the middle of the piece. I am also glossing over the fact I didn't need that middle piece of straight if I hand't cut off the straight section after the bend in the first place. I had a different idea at one point. These are the things that keep me up at night. ANYWAY here are the two sides tacked to that sliver bend piece.

All the bends :(

Back in the car

Under the car

I am happy enough with it. Unfortunately it looks like I will need to get it a little further in stainless before I change to aluminum. Part of the reason it ended up the way it did is I was trying to only use the two 90's I had. I didn't want to buy any more 4" stainless bends, but it looks like I am going to have to. So close.

After that I started to look at the exhaust.

If I can do this plan, it tucks up well

Ultimately I decided against doing anything with the exhaust for now. I figure I should get the driveshaft 100% before I start on it since it will affect my routing I am sure. I also want to keep working back from the downpipe rather than have to meet the two sections up later. I started looking at wastegate placement next, but didn't really make any progress there either.

I think the plan is to get the wastegate figured out and fabricated. Finish the mounts for the intercooler, put the blowoff valve on, and then tear everything back out of the car again. I am not 100% sure on that yet. Maybe leave it all in and try to get everything finish welded first?! Ill figure that out at some point.

Welp, thats enough for today. Thanks for sticking around for basically nothing :D

Sean

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Looks good man! My 4" DP is within 3/4" from the starter, i had that section of the DP jet coated and wrapped it with heat wrap. I love driving mine around and killing imports and Corvettes. Keep getting after it, getting close the finish line.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Looks good man! My 4" DP is within 3/4" from the starter, i had that section of the DP jet coated and wrapped it with heat wrap. I love driving mine around and killing imports and Corvettes. Keep getting after it, getting close the finish line.
Thanks! To be honest, I hadn't thought of the starter. I was planning on kicking it back over to keep it tight to the frame before it came down, which would keep it from the starter anyway. But now that I am thinking about it I will throw that in real quick just to be safe. I would like to have everything ceramic coated, and will wrap at least the down pipe, but we will see how the budget works out.

Its getting closer, but it is still a LONG way from being done. I still have some big ticket items to buy (converter, driveshaft, etc.) and a lot of small things that will add up to big amounts like AN stuff. Trying to just keep chipping away at it though.

Sean

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Not a lot to report this week, but here we are. Sunday we went up to Epic Deli to have lunch with a friend who is moving to LA. Then we went by my buddies house for the Superbowl. So it was a day of gluttony with great food and friends, so I cant complain :D

Saturday morning I started by straightening up the garage some. I was damn near able to see my bench again for a minute! I really didn't know what I wanted to do on the car, and I had a buddy coming by to drop off some parts so I was kind of wasting time. Just as I was running out of BS to clean he showed up, and was baring gifts. Some of you may remember I have been waiting on my oil pan since early October. I finally canceled my order with GMParts direct (which they never acknowledged) and ordered it all from my buddy who works a parts counter at a dealer. So after months of delay, I give you boring stock parts!

Stock 5.3 oil pump

Stock C6 windage tray

Stock C6 pickup tube

Stock C6 oil pan

Which came very complete including a gasket, drain plug, hardware, oil level sensor, and the plate on the side near the filter (not sure what they call it)

Of course, I already have ARP stainless bolts for the pan, and I also have an adapter for the piece by the filter for a sensor and the turbo feed. I am not sure where that piece is, but its around somewhere :) I also ordered new locking nuts for the windage tray and also a pick up tube brace from Improved racing which came in earlier in the week.

Speaking of things I got earlier in the week, I also got a dual regulator for the welder. One step closer to being able to back purge!!

Anyway, after that I decided to put the car mostly together just to see how everything was fitting after the new hotside. The turbo did move a little, but I think I should be ok still. I may try and take a sliver out of one of the tubes before I finish weld the intercooler piping, but its all clamped together as it is.

I am pretty happy overall. The radiator is sitting in the lower mounts like shit. Could be that the lower piece is bent, or that the radiator isnt the greatest quality. I will tweak that later probably. Also, its so annoying that the upper mounts from SC radiators don't work on a Supra radiator (which I have). There is a company that makes really nice billet mounts for just that, but they are really proud of them. Not sure I want to fork over the cash for those or just make something myself?

After I got everything back in the car I started the delicate process of staring at it for a long while. Anyone who has ever built a car knows that this is a critical part of the process. I mostly was trying to figure out blow off valve and wastegate placement. I am 99.999% sure I know how and where the blow off valve is going. Only reason I didn't put it on was I have more stainless to tack up and the welder is already set up for it. So once I decided on that I switched over to the wastegate. By the way, I have a million pics of all of the possible options for both, but not gonna clutter the thread with all that.

The wastegate is a much tougher nut to crack. First things first I figured I would see what kind of clearance I have with my tires.

Fuck.

Well I think I will be alright on this actually. I need tires anyway, and will get some skinnier fronts. I can also add a spacer if need be. This is all early 90's shit so the tire is very ballooned from the wheel, and the whole combo is sunk in the wheel well a good amount. I am confident I can fix this "issue" without making it look weird, or just running skinnies all the time. I will eventually run some 17" welds to clear the big front brakes I have in a bin down in the basement, but for now to save money we are staying "sleeper".

The good news there was I had no issues in the area between the pipe feeding the turbo and the intercooler piping which is the general area I was planning to mount the wastegate. The bad news is that its a really tight fit there for the actual wastegate and for the tubing. I messed around with it for a while, and finally just started cutting. A lot of the time I am not a smart man. To this point I spent a considerable amount of time cutting my U bend in such a way that it fit perfect to a straight section of 3". I have no idea how long it took me to cut, then file fit this piece perfect, to then realize two things. One, it ended up being further over in the bend than I planned making it a 90, not the end of the world but not as ideal. And two, that it needed to be into a bend of the 3" not on a straight section. Son of a bitch.

In an attempt to salvage my dignity I cobbled together this idea.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

It does actually line up very close to center of the 3", just hard to hold and take a pic so it looks off. I am not totally against this setup. I like that its out of the wheel well, and I can keep the sensor away from heat better. I am not really happy with the flow of it all though. I think it looks OK, but more the actual function of it like that. I am open to opinions on this. I haven't welded it yet since I would need to fully weld that before putting it on the crossover.

And that was all she wrote kids. Not really much happened, but we all had a good time right! See you all next week for 2 more tack welds.

Sean

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Making progress! When I saw your turbo placement I thought you might run into that tire situation. Where are you mounting the coils at? Don't think you can squeeze the plug wires between the DP and valve covers without melting them.

There is going to be a ton of under hood heat, as me how I know. Keep cracking away at it!! Here is mine, ran into some snow on the way home, good times with a locker

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Slowly but surely going forward. I wasn't too worried about the tire, and still am not. I knew if it was in the way it would only be just a little bit. Should be easy enough to deal with, and wont be an issue at all with skinnies.

Coils are going to be remote mounted, I hate having them on the valve covers. No worries about plug wires, or anything like that. That was the plan from day 1.

I have some plans for dealing with the under hood heat. I am hoping I don't have to go to a vented hood, but we will see when I start getting some miles on it.

Nice SC! What is done to it, and whats the plans?

Sean

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Hey Sean,

It's a simple 370" LS with TH400 and S480 air to water IC. Its my daily driver, drinks gas and eats tires up too. On #10 it's a freaking beast, smoked a hell kitty one night...they must have not seen the "LSXus" badge on the trunk! Thinking about selling it, need a house vs more toys.

Keep chipping away at yours man, it will get there!

101 - 119 of 119 Posts