Yellow Bullet Forums banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
You keeping the ABS motor? That thing is going to get smoking hot with that DP by it. Also replace that heater hose behind the engine, if it springs a leak you will piss coolant all over that engine. Can't wait to see it done, mine rips pretty good...and its only on WG spring #11.
Nah, I have had an ABS delete kit for it for a while now. I was waiting until the motor was out to start messing with it. I also have some LS400 brakes for it, but need different wheels for those. Probably do SC300 rears, the LS400 fronts, lines etc. all at the same time with the wheels/tires.

Sean

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Any updates?
I was just coming to update this thread actually. Unfortunately we have been pretty busy, so not much with the car yet. I cant remember the order of everything, but we had some family things, kids birthdays, a wake and shit like that. I bought an ATV at some point in there.

All the boxes in the background are the plow setup for it, which I got all assembled this weekend (was waiting for the winch)

I did get my trans dropped off to be built a couple weeks ago. Nothing too exciting to see there, but here are some pics of the JW Ultra Bell :D

This past weekend we worked on my buddies car.

So I at least got a chance to use the new ATV to pull the SC back into the garage. it was WAY better than using the mower!! I am thinking of building a push bar set up for it so I don't have to fuck around so much with everything.

Anyway, this Saturday we are going to be installing a new sub panel out in the garage with a 220v outlet (and some 110's) so I can weld again! I still need to get the engine bay and motor all cleaned up, and the ABS delete done. I was going to do that while we were working on my buddies car this past weekend but it was raining so I stayed in the garage and did the plow instead.

I think we are done with all the birthdays, family things, and I fucking hope wakes for a while. I want to get everything cleaned up ASAP so when I get the trans back I can put everything back in the car and get to fabricating. Wish I could work on it all day every day, but just cant. I WILL have a good update for you guys soon!!!

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Its not much, but I did actually do something to my SC this weekend!!! The wife is still being a slave driver having me do all kinds of stuff around the house. Some of it is general stuff, most of it is in preparation for a "small get together" after we decided we would not be ready to throw a Halloween party this year....

ANYWAY, I guess we need to go back to last weekend first since I never updated you guys. On schedule my buddy came out and we got my sub panel installed 2 weeks ago. We also got some electrical in the house taken care of while he was over. Nothing too exciting, but now I have two 120v circuits and a 220v outlet so I can do some work.

You can see we also stubbed some 3/4" pipe for future work since my main panel is basically full. We have two down to the basement and one up to the attic so we should be able to get anywhere we need. That was about all that I was able to accomplish that pertains to the garage/car that weekend.

This past weekend some friends were by working on their cars. I was in and out helping them while doing stuff around the house. The fun one was Dom finishing his air ride install on his GS350 F-Sport.

Like I said I was kind of helping with his car (and another friend who came by), and doing stuff around the house. I decided to pressure wash the mower and ATV, and since the SC was in the driveway I hit it too. I just used some simple green though the pressure washer, brushed it a very little in the bad spots, and then hit it with high pressure to clean it up some. Came out pretty good I think!

You will notice its not back on the lift. While Dom was working on his car the lift did not sound too happy. When he was finishing his car up I put the lift up and gave it a look. It was not good.

I emailed them today about it, and they said the pulley must have rusted in place which made the came slide against it and eventually come off. That would be pretty impressive in the 3 months I have had it where it has always been inside. Once I responded with that, I haven't heard back yet. So that is another project on the list.

Back to the car, my plan (as it has been for WEEKS) is to remove the ABS crap, and get everything a little neater. I will probably try and get a coat of paint on the bay as well. For sure I need to paint up the turbo bracket. I am still waiting on the transmission which holds me back from being able to start on fab work again. I am being told I should have it back in the next week or two. Once I have it, motor and trans can go back in and I can get back to my favorite part, FAB WORK!!!

Sorry for the boring small updates, but thank you for following along!

Sean

·
Regulator
34,910 Posts
Its not much, but I did actually do something to my SC this weekend!!! The wife is still being a slave driver having me do all kinds of stuff around the house. Some of it is general stuff, most of it is in preparation for a "small get together" after we decided we would not be ready to throw a Halloween party this year....

ANYWAY, I guess we need to go back to last weekend first since I never updated you guys. On schedule my buddy came out and we got my sub panel installed 2 weeks ago. We also got some electrical in the house taken care of while he was over. Nothing too exciting, but now I have two 120v circuits and a 220v outlet so I can do some work.

You can see we also stubbed some 3/4" pipe for future work since my main panel is basically full. We have two down to the basement and one up to the attic so we should be able to get anywhere we need. That was about all that I was able to accomplish that pertains to the garage/car that weekend.

This past weekend some friends were by working on their cars. I was in and out helping them while doing stuff around the house. The fun one was Dom finishing his air ride install on his GS350 F-Sport.

Like I said I was kind of helping with his car (and another friend who came by), and doing stuff around the house. I decided to pressure wash the mower and ATV, and since the SC was in the driveway I hit it too. I just used some simple green though the pressure washer, brushed it a very little in the bad spots, and then hit it with high pressure to clean it up some. Came out pretty good I think!

You will notice its not back on the lift. While Dom was working on his car the lift did not sound too happy. When he was finishing his car up I put the lift up and gave it a look. It was not good.
Damato?

·
draggin' ass
13,408 Posts
That cable/pulley deal would scare the shit out of me!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
That cable/pulley deal would scare the shit out of me!
Well, it was on the locks when I found it :p Seriously though I wont use it until I replace all the parts. I pulled it apart last night to see what exactly got screwed up. So far they are not being very helpful. Everything was greased, and moving freely. I know for a fact that all the cables were properly on the pulleys when I first set it all up. I think it came off when it was lowered onto the locks at some point because I think that cable was always too long. I was never able to get that corner adjusted level (close, but not quite).

I guess we will see how it plays out, but I am sure I will be on the hook for buying and installing all the new parts. Just taking away from the car even more :(

Sean

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Good morning everyone!! Time to bring you all up to speed on all things SC. Work wise, nothing has happened. Part of that is me not wanting to lose the brakes just yet, and part of that is me being too busy doing all kinds of stuff around the house. One of those projects was the lift which is not back up and running 100%. Like I said before, the guy I had contacted was kind of being a dick at first and it looked like I was just gonna have to buy the parts. Then I kind of laid out what was actually broke and he was super nice and sent everything out right away. No idea what changed, I wasn't a dick to him at all (yet) and I knew what parts it needed from the start just hadn't pulled it apart yet to see how bad they were. Anyway I got everything last week, so this Saturday I got it all in and adjusted.

Old cable after I removed it.

Old spacer vs the new one

Old pin and spacer vs new ones

This was the biggest pain in the ass in the whole project.

The top cable is the one I was replacing, the other one that is off the pulley is for the left front and came off the anchor while I was doing all this. Those other two though were pulling everything forward making it a MFer to get that pin lined up to go through all 4 of them and into the receiver on the other side of the block. Other than getting that lined up everything else was pretty easy, and it was WAY better than it was before once I was done.

Besides that, not much has been going on other than ordering parts. I got the following stuff on the way (or here with pics)

New front and rear main seals and cover gaskets

New stainless ARP hardware for front and rear covers (front pictured)

Front timing cover alignment tool
Rear main seal alignment tool
Flexplate holding tool
-10 Aluminum weld bung (oil drain for turbo)
C6 LS3 oil pan
Windage tray
Oil pickup
Dipstick tube
Dipstick
Stainless steel ARP oil pan bolts

I think that is everything, but may be forgetting something. The big news is I got my trans back yesterday!

Its nothing really special, just a typical "built" TH400. All new everything inside, reverse manual valve body, trans brake, AN adapters for the vent and the trans cooler lines, deep aluminum pan, and a JW TH400-LS ultra bell. I still need a flex plate and a converter. I also need to figure out a breather set up for it. I think I still have a Lokar locking dipstick for it somewhere, but if not need to get one of them too.

The plan is to put the new gaskets on, covers, and new pan setup, then bolt it all back into the car with the trans so I can get back to fabrication. I didn't want to have to pull the motor again which is why I got the pan and the cover stuff now. The wife is out of town this week, so there is some hope I will finally get rid of the ABS and finish cleaning everything. I am really not sure when the pan is supposed to come in, but I am hoping this week. The pile of parts is getting too big, I need to start installing :D

Thanks for following along!
Sean

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Cool build Broke! The GM strike may have your oil pan..... i have one on order as well, lol.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Cool build Broke! The GM strike may have your oil pan..... i have one on order as well, lol.
Its not looking good :p I just checked on my order and it said that is "on order". I am still waiting on the alignment tool for the rear main seal anyway. I also need to weld the drain to the front cover, which came yesterday. Right now not having the pan isn't really holding me up but it will be pretty soon.

Sean

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Looking good, your putting that TH400 with the brake in the SC? That is going to break that rear end and the tires loose, finally got mine re-tuned by a member on here. Building a LS for a buddy of mine too, keep the pics coming. Looking forward to seeing it closer.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Looking good, your putting that TH400 with the brake in the SC? That is going to break that rear end and the tires loose, finally got mine re-tuned by a member on here. Building a LS for a buddy of mine too, keep the pics coming. Looking forward to seeing it closer.
Yep, that's for the SC. I'm sure it will break everything, but that's racing. The rear end is actually something I am always thinking about. There are 8.8 and 9" conversion kits, but they are pretty damn expensive. I am tempted to back half the car so I can sit the tire where I want and get the right stance to it, and have a solid rear end, good suspension etc. That just hurts me for a lot of slower classes I could run though. Plus people have been very fast with the stock rear setup. Remember its very very similar to a Supra.

I am dying to get back working on it. We have been extremely busy lately, and also had a death in the family. This weekend is shot as well, so I am hoping I can do SOMETHING to it the weekend after. Fingers crossed :D

Sean

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
More non-car updates! *I am sure they are everyone's favorites, I know they are mine! *I haven't had any time to get anything done to the car in weeks. *Just been working on stuff in and around the house non-stop. *The downside to moving I guess. *Anyway, I have needed to get the garage door to be a high lift and put an opener on it so that I can actually use that bay with a car up on the lift. *It took a while, but that finally got done this past weekend. *I thought about doing it myself, but I messed with the garage door at my last house and decided against it. *After seeing how involved it actually was I am glad I didn't try :)

You can see here that both doors were the same height.

Gauging where the rail will sit

Opener in place, it is TIGHT to the ceiling. *They did a great job of getting me every inch of clearance they could.

Showing the old vs the new. *Look at how little support strut is coming down to catch the rail now :)

And now for the most important part, two cars parked in the same bay :)

It can go a good bit higher than it is there, but that is set down on a lock. *I can probably get it on the next one up if I do it with the door closed, but no real need to. *It would probably make the next lock with the hood off the roof too. *Looking at this pic, I really need a shed...

Anyway, I have a big pile of parts sitting around for the car. *I also have a laundry list of shit I need to order. *Now that I wont have to move it for the foreseeable future I can also get rid of the ABS stuff finally. *I have a lot of projects I am working on right now, but I need to get some car time worked in there soon. *I should start the Doug Cook / Motion Raceworks 1 hour challenge. *I have a lot of things that could be done in 1 hour.

Well that's enough babbling and excuses for one week. *I really really hope to have actual car work updates next time.

Sean

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Its a Thanksgiving miracle, I worked on the car some!!! Unfortunately I was waiting for some stuff to come in that did not make it before this weekend so I only got a little done. Lets just get into pics!

Stated with taking out the damn ABS monstrosity

Then I moved on to the cruise control module deal

Then I had to figure out the lines and how the ABS delete kit installed. Its been a while since I worked on the car, took me a while to think to look at the ABS delete kit and realize I wasted a bunch of time sorting out the lines for nothing :) Turns out they all come out, which is perfect because I would have ripped them all out anyway.

I had to get the wheels off so I could take the lines off at the flex.

Then got the front line on

After I got the car up I got all of the front lines off and everything on the firewall. for now I just cut the EVAP line that goes to the charcoal canister, I will remove it later along with the stock fuel lines. Kind of a bad pic, but you can see the black line laying loose side to side from the front port of the master.

That was about as far as I was able to get. The rear lines didn't want to come apart, so I need to soak them in some PB blaster, and get a flare end wrench. I should have some but have never really needed them and I was able to all of those lines except one without it. I am also going to replace the front flex lines, and redo the ABS delete for the fronts so I can add in a line lock. For now this will stay on to keep everything closed up. I also wanted to get the motor and trans back in, but I am waiting on some parts which should be in this week. I wish I had gotten more done but it was great to get back into it. I also picked up the welder from my buddy so I can get back to the fabrication as soon as the motor is back in.

Well that's all for now. Glad I finally have a car update in my build thread :) Thanks for following along!

Sean

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Sean i would get rid of that heat blender on the firewall, it will fail and you will wonder why/where the heater is going wacko! Also there are numerous airbag sensors under the front fenders (behind the headlights) which i would remove. Been driving my SC for the last few weeks, its pretty fast on pump gas, can punch it on the freeway at 65 and will light the tires up. Keep up the good work man!!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Sean i would get rid of that heat blender on the firewall, it will fail and you will wonder why/where the heater is going wacko! Also there are numerous airbag sensors under the front fenders (behind the headlights) which i would remove. Been driving my SC for the last few weeks, its pretty fast on pump gas, can punch it on the freeway at 65 and will light the tires up. Keep up the good work man!!
Its already bad :p The actuator is bad, so it has no heat unless I swap the vacuum lines, then its all the heat. Of course with my luck the one that fails is the $200 part and not the $15 dollar part.

There are no air bags in the car, so I am not worried about the sensors for now. I want to rewire the car bumper to bumper to get rid of all of the excess BS. That is sort of planned for next year after the car is already driving. I have a very long "to-do" list, but I am trying to keep it reigned in for time and money so I can have a driving car in 2020.

Sean

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Another weekend, and some small progress. I think I have said it before but it was a stark reminder that I am out of practice working on the car, and that I need to clean/organize my garage. One of the only downsides to moving was that I had my garage almost exactly how I wanted it before, and now I haven't really be able to do anything yet. I should try to chip away at getting it more clean and organized during the week, gotta get unlazy and do that.

Anyway, you guys are here for the car (I think), so lets get into it! I started by getting the last stubborn fitting off one of the rear lines so I could "finish" the ABS delete kit.

I need to swap the lines on the master, and still strap down the lines.

My parts order showed up shortly after!

I got the sick locking dipstick for my trans

Motion Raceworks Lift plate

Motion Raceworks steam port kit for the LS6 intake

TCI SFI approved flex plate, and ARP hardware

And lastly the Texas Speed valve spring tool

I threw the plate on the motor real quick. Ignore the heads, they are coming off to get cleaned up soon(ish)

Before we get any further, I actually got out my real camera this weekend. Unfortunately it seems to be messed up and the pictures are soft at best. I did grab some pics with my phone as well, so I will mix and match but some may be kind of shitty. Just a heads up since I didn't know it was fucking up until I got them on my computer.

Started off Sunday by removing the rear cover.

Got it all cleaned up (pretty good anyway)

Got all the new stuff ready to go on

Back on with the ARP hardware loose

Install the alignment tool, and then torqued down

Then comes the new rear main seal

Up next was the flex plate

All done and torqued!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
It was then time to get it all back in the car. To do that I had the great idea of bolting on the trans first... We will get back to that. I am using the JW Performance hardware to attach it to the motor.

I knew doing this with the car on the lift was going to be a challenge. I started by moving some stuff out of the way and getting the motor/trans into position.

Then I did a lot of back and forth, and up and down, and shuffling things around to get to this point

Which is fine, except the motor and trans are level with the ground, and I needed it to go in at an angle of course. No worries, I just muscled it all down with one arm, while I used my other to take off the water pump. That was a blast :) But that got me here.

That was enough, with going down and back and down and back to get it all in. It was about then that I remembered I didn't take off the trans crossmember. With the car basically on the "ground" in relation to the lift ramps, and the lift only about 6" off the ground it was big pain in the ass to get that off without taking it all back out of the car. Lucky for me I have long ass arms and was able to reach. Then came a bit of a dance with my jack to get the end of the trans up some so I could fight with the mounts. I am STILL having an issue getting one of the bolts to go where it should. My plan was to get the trans mounted, at least loose since part of my issue was the motor still leaning backwards. It was about then that I realized that I cant find my trans mount. I took it off when I sent the trans in to get built, so its around somewhere. I have some of the hardware on my bench, but could not find the mount itself. It was getting late, and I was pretty beat after fighting the motor and trans that far so I called it a day. I put the jack under the trans and lowered the car down so everything is supported for now.

I need to find that mount so I can get everything locked in 100% and then start figuring out what I want to do for the hot side. I got a bunch of v-bands over the weekend as well.

The 4" should be aluminum for the exhaust, but they sent me stainless on accident. Those will get swapped out this week so I will be ready to start on the exhaust whenever.

Well I guess that is all for now. I do have more stuff on the way, but Ill cover that once I get it. Its painfully slow progress, but at least its going the right way. I want to keep working on it of course, but the plan is to really hit it once the holidays are over. Our weekends involve a fuck ton of driving until they are all over. Until I am free again, the plan is to knock out some of the smaller things like finishing the intercooler mount, finish weld the cold side piping, install the blow off valve, get the fitting welded on the radiator for the steam port, etc.

That's all, thanks for following along!

Sean

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Very nice, before you go and rewire the whole car. Be sure to set the steering wheel where you want it. Or hook up power to the steering wheel up/down and in/out motor. Keep us posted!

81 - 100 of 124 Posts