Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
So youre just going to leave us all hanging here? Whats going on?
Well because you asked, and because shit got pushed back a couple weeks, I'll spill the beans. On February 8th our house was broken into and burglarized. No idea when it happened, but nobody was home except our dog. The wife came home first and found the place ransacked, with the door ripped off the hinges. They got away with quite a lot including all of our guns, all of my camera gear, all of my wife's jewelry, cash, computers, etc. Much to my surprise, they were in the garage (left the door to the house wide open) but didn't touch anything out there. We think they were going to leave that way, but the door was frozen shut that day so it wouldn't open.

That of course put the car on the back burner while we dealt with the police, insurance, and just all around dealing with all of that. We had also been talking about wanting to move in the next couple of years, and this pushed us over the edge. Not that we live in a dangerous neighborhood, but with the wife not feeling comfortable in the house anymore we decided to see what our options were. We talked with our realtors, and figured out what we could afford, and what our house would be worth, etc. We went and looked at a handful of places and found one pretty much right away that was damn near perfect. Ended up putting an offer on it the same day that was accepted. Then we had to scramble to get our house listed! We ended up showing it with the back door still boarded up (it was an oddball size, so custom ordered). We had a lot of showings scheduled, but it sold to the very first person who came though, and for full asking price!

So basically since February 8th its been non stop work, and extremely high stress dealing with everything. We were supposed to close on both the sell and the buy on the 5th, but that got fucked yesterday from our buyer. Now everything is pushed to the 15th. It wouldn't have been all that bad if we didn't do all of the utilities, garbage, internet, etc. for both places the day before we knew it was being pushed. Everything has been adjusted, and looks to be good to go (again) for the 15th, so fingers crossed!

The good news is the new place is much nicer all around. Has a good size 3 car garage (31' wide, 21' deep, 11' ceilings) so I can have the SC in there and at least the wife's car and my bike. I am planning on putting a lift in there which I will use for work/storage until I build a shop. New place is on about 1.4 acres, and I can build on it. Plan is to put up a separate shop ASAP, probably a few years away since we want to do stuff to the house as well.

Shitty situation all around, but once we close on the new place it will be somewhat worth it. I have no idea when I am going to get back to working on the SC, but I am hoping I can once we get settled into the new house. I think we are going to hold off on starting any projects for a little while anyway.

do you have any pictures ?
Pictures of?

Sean

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hate to hear that. Ive been on the wrong end of a home break in so i know exactly how you feel. You learn real quick how cheap security cameras are once you need them and dont have them. It wont stop it from happening but itll make it easier to bring the pieces of shit to justice. Worst part is it was likely someone you know.

Good luck with the sell and new home. Make sure to go on and spend the money to get a proper security system put in.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Alright guys (and gals?) it is FINALLY time for an update. This will be long, and have very little to do with the car so be warned.

Back in February our house was broken into and burglarized. That really kicked off a whole series of events that are just now wrapping up. The thieves came in though the back door (ripped it from the hinges) and then went to town. They got all of my guns, and most of my gun stuff (damn near all my ammo), all of my Wife's jewelry, all of my camera gear, our new laptops, cash, and so on. Our dog looked like he may have been hit in the process, but was luckily still there when we got home. He was very freaked out, but after a while he seems to be back to normal.

We had been talking about moving in the next few years, and that really was the nail in the coffin. So we met with our realtors and came up with what we could sell for, and what we were looking for. After looking at a bunch of places we found the one we liked the most and put in an offer. To be honest I didn't think they would go for it since we were contingent on selling our house which wasn't even listed yet. Turns out they did, which was awesome and also extremely stressful!

Without getting into ALL the boring details we ended up being really rushed to get the house listed for sale. We had to put it up before the door was even replaced, and showed it with that all boarded up :D Apparently it didn't matter as the very first person who walked in offered us full asking price! We also had another offer that was kind of low, but no bother we went with the solid looking full price guy!

Everything looked good, we scheduled everything for moving, shutting off utilities, etc. They had an inspection and found a couple minor things that we had fixed (they specified a professional). If I remember right they pushed the closing, and then 5 days before the new date they were unable to secure funding. No worries (kind of), they had a family member who was going to jump in and buy it with all the same terms. We did get them to pay to extend the POD for another month, so not a total loss.

Buyer two, also looked great on paper as far as we could tell. They were using the same lender, which was a reputable company. As we got a little closer there were some things popping up that were needed. Lots of documents they needed to supply, had to add in a co-signer, etc. Again, as far as we can get from anyone on their side everything is looking good just needed that one last document. They also pushed the closing, maybe twice I cant remember.

Now it is the day before the closing, a month or so after our original closing date. The pod was packed, picked up, and sitting at the new place (that we dont own), the movers left that morning with all of our stuff. We went to our lawyer and signed the closing docs and were going back to clean the house and get the last stuff in a van I borrowed from work. We were just wrapping up at the house, probably around 5 or 6 at night when we get a call from our realtor that it all fell apart.

Again, long story short our realtor was working his ass off trying to find any solution he could for us. Our mortgage person looked at the loan and said there was NO WAY this person would have every been approved. Same went for the first person. More or less the person working the loan was 100% full of shit, and/or totally incompetent and fucked it all up. In the end (around 1am) it was agreed that we could rent the new house until we were able to sell ours.

It took some back and forth but late the next day we were in the new place as renters and our house was back on the market with the clock ticking. When it was first being shown we had 10+ showings scheduled EACH DAY for the entire week within a couple hours. This time we had 1. Then a few days later 1. They were trying everything they could to get people through the doors, but with shitty weather and holidays it was not going well. We had 30 days to get under contract, and it was week 2 already. FINALLY we had someone come though and again offer full asking! Actually I think they were a little under and we went back at full asking which they went for.

There was some drama about the driveway, which honestly needed to be replaced. Our plan was to replace it this spring actually. Anyway we got that taken care of, but it was deja vu all over again! They pushed the closing on us, and were having a hard time getting clear to close. Meantime we are in the new house with only the bare minimum unpacked. TV is on the floor, we have 2 plates, 2 glasses. It was like college, which I never went to! We were paying to have the grass cut since I need a way bigger mower for the new place. Basically we were bleeding money and stressed to the MAX.

They got clear to close at 3:30 on Friday afternoon with the closing scheduled for Monday morning. Technically they cant do that, but fuck it lets get this done! Monday comes around and they did the final walk though and say the AC doesn't work (it was already inspected and worked). I was like fuck that, Ill go fix it! I went down there and adjusted the low limit low enough for it to actually try and turn on, and it did. Disaster averted there. Now we are coming up on the time for the buy closing and I haven't heard anything. We get to our buy and start signing things, and THEN hear from the realtor he was done and on his way (with the check). The sell closing too over 3 hours!!! Our's went pretty smooth except a typo and then also being sticklers about the amount we were bringing to close. That made no sense because the number was off by less than $500 and we were getting money back from the deal. They wanted it run through underwriting again anyway, so we just shot the shit for a while and then it was done!!!

So now I can show you why I haven't touched my car for months!

Some pics of the garage from the inspection

The garage is about 31' wide, and 21' deep with 11' ceilings. Already has OK lighting (for now) and a gas heater out there.

The house is ~2300 square feet 3 bedroom 2.5 bath with a full basement that is unfinished and already roughed for a bathroom. It sits on about 1.5 acres with enough room for a shop :) As I said we have already been living there for a little over a month and absolutely LOVE it! It is so relaxing out there. It is really like being on vacation, except we live there!!!

We have plans for the entire house top to bottom, inside and out. You guys care the most about the garage of course! Plans out there are basic, sub panel with more electrical for everything, new lighting, 4 post lift (fits the space better than a 2 post) and some storage like shelves etc. I am planning on building a dedicated shop, but that wont be for a little while.

Well that has been my life the last 4 months or so. I am going to try and get the SC back this weekend but probably wont start working on it for a bit. I did order some parts for it yesterday so I can keep going once I get some things done.

Sean

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Small car related update.

These guys showed up yesterday!

I also got a set of the valve covers with -10 fittings from Motion Raceworks, but didn't unwrap them for pics. *I am trying to get the car out to the new house this weekend but not sure if it will happen. *I have no 220 in the garage though so I am limited regardless. * I will be back to work on it soon though!

Sean

·
draggin' ass
13,394 Posts
I am happy to hear you settled into a new home that fits your needs better then the last!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Where is that house? Wayne?

Nice house!
Thanks! And thanks for thinking I can afford anything in Wayne :) Nah, this is up north in the sticks.

I am happy to hear you settled into a new home that fits your needs better then the last!
Thank you!

Little update while I am here. The car should be back very soon! I am hoping to be all set up by the weekend of the 4th with my car back home. Progress will still be slow since we have so much other stuff to do now, but I have few things I can take care of once its back.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Time for another small update. This came the other day :D

Ignore the mess

This was as far as I got yesterday

The instructions are almost 100% useless, so I ended up having to redo a bunch of stuff as I figured it out. It was a motherfucker doing it by myself, I suggest having at least one or two people to give you a hand. The wife ended up helping me get the ramps put on and flipped over (they were both upside down). Lucky for me I had two jacks to lift the "power" ramp since that was a good chunk of the 1,740 shipping weight. It was in the garage facing the wrong way, and upside down.

Depending on how things go today I want to get it finished up. I just need to route the cables, install the pump and lines, and the safety release. I do also have to run and get oil for it since I thought it came with it for whatever reason. Once its all set up and working I am having the SC brought back so I can get to work on it!! Chances are that will happen this Friday, but maybe Wednesday if I can get everything done.

That's all for now, thanks for following along!

Sean

·
Registered
662 Posts
All the ass ache of putting that in will be well worth it. Im jealous

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
All the ass ache of putting that in will be well worth it. Im jealous
Oh yeah, it will be worth it for sure. It isn't really that bad, just annoying that instructions are so bad. It is pretty straight forward how it goes together, but the orientation of some things isn't always clear, or worse the order of operations. I have a bit of a hang up with the lock release, but I will sort that out today.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Another day, another kind of boring update for you guys. I ended up getting the lift all finished up and ready to go Thursday night. I thought it was nice that everyone was blowing off fireworks in celebration to me having a working lift :) After I got it all ironed out (it was really working Wednesday) I moved it over to the third bay. We still have a ton of crap in the garage as seen in previous pics, so that sucked. Once I had it over there I just had to put something on it!

Friday morning I got up nice and early, got the Accord off the lift and out of the way, hopped on the motorcycle and headed to my buddies house to meet the tow truck. Does this count as a barn find yet?

It was technically a stable I guess, but I also don't think its ever actually had horses in it. ANYWAY, the tow truck showed up and we got it outside so I could really see how neglected it is.

Got her all loaded up

And away we went! Since I was on the bike, no pics of it in transit, but you could imagine it looks exactly like that last pic with a different background :)

Made it back to my house and got it unloaded right onto the lift. Again no pics of the process since I was helping out, but it was pretty uneventful.

I really need to adjust the lift now that its where it is likely going to stay. I started to adjust the lift and the locks where I had assembled it, but now its spun around and in a totally different area so its pretty far off. I also very clearly need to do something about the opener and the door. I have a buddy who quoted me raising the tracks and installing a jack shaft opener. In the meantime I may just remove the opener over there, or just disable it so I can lift higher. Where its at now (more or less where it is in the pic) is as high as it can go with being able to open and close the door.

That is really all I got for the car. I was very busy all weekend working on stuff around the house and didn't even get a chance to re-organize the garage. I am not 100% sure when I am going to start back up on the car, but hopefully soon. I really want to get it done ASAP for many many reasons. One of the biggest is it would be nice to be able to use my lift to work on any of my cars :) Kind of a pain in the ass to move the SC on and off when it does't run.

·
Registered
662 Posts
How much room is on the other side of the lift between the lift and wall? Looks like it could be pretty tight over there when working. Either way im jealous beings im still creeping around under jackstands.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
How much room is on the other side of the lift between the lift and wall? Looks like it could be pretty tight over there when working. Either way im jealous beings im still creeping around under jackstands.
There is not much room over there, but its enough for my fat ass to be able to get in and out of the car. That was a big reason for going with a 4 post over a 2 post lift actually. The 2 post lifts have much larger posts (of course) and that meant it would be offset from the door a fair amount. Then I thought I could put it in the middle bay, but that put the column right at my wife's door, and I see that getting annoying. Another big advantage of the 4 post is that I can move it around. Eventually I will raise both doors and do jack shaft openers so I have the same clearance anywhere in the garage. It'll do until I am able to build a shop :)

I have always done everything with jackstands so this is super nice! It also helps to be able to have everything in my garage until I can build a shed. The idea is the mower and probably the motorcycle will go under the car so we can still park our every day cars in the garage. Just have too much shit, and not enough garage.

Sean

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
How the hell did they take all your guns? Did you have a good safe?

Car looks very familiar, I just got done building a 1993 SC300 with a S480 LS swap too, PM me if you have any questions. I can tell you right off the bat, if you plan on running an hood, the temps under it are going to be SMOKING hot even if you coat and wrap the exhaust/downpipe. Looks very good, i put my turbo on the driver side attached to the frame.

PM me and will send you some pics, keep up the work man almost done and will kill 90% of cars out running around!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
How the hell did they take all your guns? Did you have a good safe?

Car looks very familiar, I just got done building a 1993 SC300 with a S480 LS swap too, PM me if you have any questions. I can tell you right off the bat, if you plan on running an hood, the temps under it are going to be SMOKING hot even if you coat and wrap the exhaust/downpipe. Looks very good, i put my turbo on the driver side attached to the frame.

PM me and will send you some pics, keep up the work man almost done and will kill 90% of cars out running around!
Hey Rich!

Did not have a safe, so they just grabbed them all and put them in a tripod bag to walk out the door with. We have changed many things with the new house.

Temps are a concern, I figured I would get it going and see what I am dealing with. Clearly with the exhaust running how I have it I will be adding a lot of under hood heat. I don't like vented hoods, but if I have to I have to.

It is close to done, but far from done at the same time. I want to start working on it again, and have some parts stocked up for it even. The pain in the ass right now is I don't have 220 out in the garage. So I need to spend money on getting a subpanel and running outlets. All the shit I just finished doing in my old house!

The plan was to be running around now (so I could do Drag Week), but that is clearly out the window. Now the plan is to be up and running early(ish) next year. So I will probably do all the final welding over winter once I get power out in the garage and it isnt hot as fuck outside. For now I need to get organized and come up with a plan of attack. I have the last little bit of fab work to do, but no way to weld. Everything needs to come out so I can work on things in the open, and get things cleaned up. Just have to decide if I want to finish fab first, or pull it apart and do the fab work later.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
What rear end are you going with? Stock or Fab 9"?

I am running the stock rear end with 3.266 gears and a Kaaz locker (locker is adjustable which is cool)

Are you running the DP all the way to rear bumper?

Looking at that passenger exhaust looks super close to the AC comp.

let me know if you have any questions man!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
What rear end are you going with? Stock or Fab 9"?

I am running the stock rear end with 3.266 gears and a Kaaz locker (locker is adjustable which is cool)

Are you running the DP all the way to rear bumper?

Looking at that passenger exhaust looks super close to the AC comp.

let me know if you have any questions man!
Stock, welded for now (I guess) until I do a 8.8 or 9" I would get a sock LSD but people want crazy money for them. Rather put that toward a more long term solution.

Exhaust will go all the way out the back.

No AC right now. I am still a little on the fence about it, but probably just wont bother with AC.

Sean

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Time for another small update! I have gathered a few more parts, and also decided to make some changes. First up lets bring you guys up to speed on whats been happening. A few weeks back I rolled it out of the garage so I could do an oil change on my daily driver. While it was outside I figured I may as well clean off some of the dust :)

Also while it was outside I got rid of the garage door opener on that bay so I can raise the car up higher.

In case anyone was wondering, it was a pain in the ass to get it back on the lift! Just another reason I need an ATV :)

Anyway I have been trying to think through what parts I need, and what are some of the next steps on the car. I may not be working on it, but my brain never stops. I happened to find some Siemens Dekka 80lb injectors, so I jumped on them real quick.

So then I was thinking about the fuel system. That reminded me that I have some parts laying around somewhere. I knew I had a filter around, and some other things so I went on the hunt. Ended up finding the Fore Innovation fuel pressure regulator.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I know I also have a Fuelab 5" filter with -8 in/out somewhere as well. Looking through old pics it was installed post pump, so I ordered up a matching pre-pump filter, and an AEM inline fuel pump which is basically a Bosh 044.

I know that at one point I had some fuel rails, but I cant remember if I sold them or not. I need to dig though some more boxes to find that filter, and see if I do still have those rails. I have a lot of AN line and fittings already as well, so regardless I have most of a fuel system now :) Of course this pump will only support around 500-600 HP, but it will get the car up and running a lot sooner than spending 5 times the money on a massive fuel pump. The rest of the system will support plenty more (I also have 160lb/hr injectors) so it should be a simple change of pump when I need more down the road.

The other thing I have been going back and forth with for months now is my order of operations. I wanted to finish the fabrication work (at least all tacked up) before blowing it all apart to work on other areas. But since I don't currently have 220v power out in the garage, and the welder I use is 220 only I have been twiddling my thumbs. The other day while driving I had a thought about how to redo the passenger side piping to allow me to put AC in the car (another thing I have been debating since the start). Well when I got back home I looked at it, and decided to not only do what was thinking, but also redo the driverside as well. It has been bugging me that the radiator has to be moved because I fucked up (kind of) the turbo placement. The turbo is staying exactly where it is, but all of the existing hot side will be changed. It will fix the radiator "issue", allow me to put in AC if I want, give me better wastegate location, and should also help with under hood temps which will already be an issue I think. Not only that, but it also means I can blow everything apart and work on other shit before I get the power sorted out in the garage!!! Another thing I did while I was looking at it was throw on the new valve cover to see how my clearance was on the down pipe.

Has to move over a little, but it was going to anyway. That down pipe was just tacked to be representative of the ballpark where it would be. Its not fit up worth a shit.

So the TL;DNR version is that I am going to start doing some actual work to the car pretty soon! I am expecting some kind of actual update in a couple weeks. This weekend I want to try and do something, but since its the wife's birthday I highly doubt I will. It has been driving me nuts to not be working on this car! I am really excited to have a game plan again so I can stop collecting parts and actually make progress!

Thanks for following along!
Sean

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
You keeping the ABS motor? That thing is going to get smoking hot with that DP by it. Also replace that heater hose behind the engine, if it springs a leak you will piss coolant all over that engine. Can't wait to see it done, mine rips pretty good...and its only on WG spring #11.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Holy shit, I actually worked on the car a little bit yesterday!!! I am just as shocked as you guys are. I knew this weekend would be hard since we were celebrating the wife's birthday. I was able to get the SC outside Saturday morning so I could get her car in to do an oil change before we left for the day. We were really productive Sunday which is a bit surprising after two days of partying. I don't drink, but I expected the wife to be useless Sunday :) Anyway we got a bunch of shit done around the house/yard and I got the SC back into the garage pretty early in the day. Then I was kinda standing around so I decided I could at least start taking stuff off.

That took all of about 3 minutes. I wanted to get the motor out, but wanted to pull off the hood first. The wife ran out while I was taking off the piping so I was kind of stuck. My buddy Dom was sitting around bored so I said come on down. I got the grass (mostly) cut while he was on the way. Once he got there we pulled off the hood, and then I finished the grass. Then we ordered some dinner and thought we may as well get as far as we can getting ready to pull the motor before we go pick it up.

That took about 10 minutes, just in time to clean up and go get food. After we ate we moved the SC back on to the lift which I didn't expect to get done. Got the trans separated from the motor, and the motor up on the stand. After that just straightened up and put everything back inside.

Can't believe I can actually fit all of my vehicles in my own garage at the same time! Anyway, not all that exciting but I got a jump on what I wanted to get done next weekend so that is good. Next on the list is to clean up the engine bay and the motor. On the car side I want to get rid of the ABS and all that BS. I also need to do some other stuff you will see later. On the motor I want to get the broken exhaust studs out of the heads, that's about all for now. I need to start getting parts for that soon like valve springs, oil pan, hardware for the intake, etc. Hopefully you guys will see a bit bigger of an update next weekend!

Thanks for following along,
Sean

61 - 80 of 119 Posts